Mint won't boot?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alexbm

Mint won't boot?

Post by alexbm »

When I start Cinnamon (the newest version/using rEFInd/on a Mac/installed via usb drive), the login screen loads normally, but when I log in, I get the error "Unable to launch cinnamon-session-cinnamon X session. Session cinnamon-session-cinammon not found. Falling back to default session."
When I click OK, the screen turns black and I can't do anything but restart my computer.

Does anyone know what's going on here and what I can do to fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Calab
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint won't boot?

Post by Calab »

If you boot from the installation media to try the "live" experience, does it work fine?

Is this a new install? If so, have you tried reinstalling? It sounds like something didn't get installed properly. Maybe try with a different display manager than Cinnamon to see if it works.

Just a couple things I'd try if it was me.
alexbm

Re: Mint won't boot?

Post by alexbm »

Thanks for the suggestions, but nope, i've had it running for a few weeks now, and it's always worked completely fine. Except for when I noticed that my settings menu wasn't opening for some reason, so I tried restarting my computer to see if that would fix it, and that's when I first got this error.

I'm pretty sure it's not because of any kind of malware, because the last things I downloaded were 2 fairly well-known games and a few apps from the official app library.

I might try reinstalling the OS if I don't find any other solutions.

EDIT: The live preview works without any issues.

Return to “Beginner Questions”