Can't install mint cinnamon, hdd not showing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
isurukan

Can't install mint cinnamon, hdd not showing

Post by isurukan »

Recently I have brought acer E5-576G laptop which comes with 16GB Intel optane memory + 8GB DDR3 including 1TB HDD.
It does have Windows 10 OS and I am trying to install Linux mint cinnamon as a secondary OS (Dual booting) and It's not showing HDD to install mint. I vave dis allocate 100GB just to install mint and I even tried to install mint by disabling RAID to AHCI, mint just shows me only 16GB optane memory as a NVMe.
Is there any way to install windows 10 + Mint in this kind of environment.. ? Please Help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Can't install mint cinnamon, hdd not showing

Post by gm10 »

The problem is the Optane memory and how it gets set up. Linux won't touch a drive with an active RAID on it. You said you switched the BIOS from RAID to AHCI, but can you still boot Win10 after that? I'm not sure you can. To remove the RAID from the disks you'd run

Code: Select all

sudo dmraid -Er /dev/sdX
where you replace sdX with the letters for your SSD and HDD, run it once for each, see lsblk for the correct designation.

But I expect that that should really kill off the Win10's ability to boot then even if it still booted before.

So basically make a backup, have a Win10 installation medium at hand, do the above, if necessary re-install Win10, then install Mint. You won't have Optane memory functionality anymore but you could instead install Mint into the SSD, it's big enough for that.

PS: Alternatively just run Mint in a virtual machine or install it to a memory card (if your UEFI can boot it) or USB stick.
isurukan

Re: Can't install mint cinnamon, hdd not showing

Post by isurukan »

Thank you gm10. It worked.
Did set up windows and Linux min cinnamon as you say. It worked and unfortunately there is no any use of having a optane memory. But I prefer to use this way cause I am new to Linux and the best way to learn about linux comparing to windows is this way thanks again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”