Cant unzip music files from downloads to music (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mycoset
Level 1
Level 1

Cant unzip music files from downloads to music (SOLVED)

Post by mycoset » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:52 pm

I tried a bunch of things i read on the internet and nothing has been working. Is there a possible cause for this or am I just doing it wrong, I installed Mint 19 about 2 or 3 days ago.
Last edited by mycoset on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cant unzip music files from downloads to music

Post by WharfRat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Hello mycoset Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

How are you attempting to unzip the files :?:

What application(s) are you using :?:
ImageImage

mycoset
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mycoset » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:30 pm

I had downloaded .zip mixtapes that needed to be unzipped so I could listen to them, I tried different codes I found on the internet and none seemed to work. I was using the codes on the terminal. I gave myself root access and created a UNIX password as well. What seemed to work was right clicking the folder and mounting it and it showed up at the bottom of places on the menu, From there I opened them and they were able to be listened to and I just moved them to the music folder and unmounted them from places. :D

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:39 pm

mycoset wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:30 pm
I had downloaded .zip mixtapes that needed to be unzipped so I could listen to them, I tried different codes I found on the internet and none seemed to work. I was using the codes on the terminal.
Did you try in a terminal

Code: Select all

unzip file.zip
Did you try in a file browser: double-click on the zip file, or rt-click on the file -> "archive manager".
I gave myself root access and created a UNIX password as well.
You don't need to do anything like that to unzip a zip file.
What seemed to work was right clicking the folder and mounting it and it showed up at the bottom of places on the menu, From there I opened them and they were able to be listened to and I just moved them to the music folder and unmounted them from places. :D
So you did, somehow, manage to unzip the file...?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Usually you just right click > Extract Here... or Extract To..., but what you're doing sounds like fun, too. :shock:

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:42 pm

It's odd you couldn't do it from the terminal and that you had to escalate privileges :?

The application unzip always worked for me with a simple unzip file.zip in the terminal.

Check if unzip is installed with dpkg -l unzip and if not install it with sudo apt-get install unzip
ImageImage

mycoset
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mycoset » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:50 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:41 pm
Usually you just right click > Extract Here... or Extract To..., but what you're doing sounds like fun, too. :shock:
Yes that was working for about the first ten then the extract option went away for some reason, :shock:

mycoset
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mycoset » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:51 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:42 pm
It's odd you couldn't do it from the terminal and that you had to escalate privileges :?

The application unzip always worked for me with a simple unzip file.zip in the terminal.

Check if unzip is installed with dpkg -l unzip and if not install it with sudo apt-get install unzip
I tried this as well and was having problems, was probably doing something wrong haha.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi mycoset,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Most if not all Linux Mint editions and versions already come with an archiving (zip, arc, 7z) application installed and file manager right-click options to extract or compress. Because there are many archive file types, I always go into the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and search for archive and install everything related to the various archive file types (p7zip-full, etc...), or you can just search for "file-roller" (Archive Manager) then right-click it and install that along with all of its recommended and suggested packages.

There is also the excellent "PeaZip" which can be downloaded as a Linux deb file, double-clicked to install it, or use the portable version. This will also provide a menu and file manager options.
PeaZip (Linux x86-64) Open Source WinRar WinZip alternative. I usually use the GTK version.
http://www.peazip.org/peazip-linux.html

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Newbie Questions”