How to monitor CPU activity in detail..?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karsti
Level 3
Level 3

How to monitor CPU activity in detail..?

Post by karsti »

Hi,

how can I monitor my laptop cpu in detail? I am used to getting highly detailed info about the current cpu-frequency for each core, vcore, halt states, turbo boost, etc.

P.S.: I have a dual core with 2,4 GHZ with Hyperthreading, so it has 4 virtual cores.

In cat /proc/cpuinfo it shows each core with 1200 MHZ. I guess it is just somehow splitting up that 2,4 GHZ so 1200MHZ is correct?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to monitor CPU activity in detail..?

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karsti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by karsti »

Thanks...but concy only gives a very coarse grained overview of cpu and the system as a whole.

I need as detailed as possible.

My CPU should be turb-boost capable and I can see it using turbo-boost in Windows monitoring tools.

Is there a tool that can monitor turbo-boost (or the change in CPU frequency) at all? All tools I tested so far show me a fixed cpu frequency although my laptop's cpu can change the cpu frequncy based on load. If it is IDLE the OS usually undervolts the cpu, resulting in a lower frequency and low power consumption.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

karsti wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:10 am Thanks...but concy only gives a very coarse grained overview of cpu and the system as a whole.

I need as detailed as possible.
My Conky, of which you see the screenshots on the web page I referred you to, is very basic and only scratches the surface of what Conky is capable of. See:
https://linux.die.net/man/1/conky

You might find something there after all.
karsti wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:10 amMy CPU should be turb-boost capable and I can see it using turbo-boost in Windows monitoring tools.
There are loads of other CPU monitoring tools available for Linux, but I have no experience with those.

In any case, you don't need to worry whether Linux uses all capabilities of your CPU. The Linux kernel is quite capable of doing that by default; there's a reason while all supercomputers in the world are currently running Linux:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-tot ... computers/

As far as handling CPU's is concerned, Linux is the 800 pound gorilla OS. All competition smashed to smithereens. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

karsti wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:10 am Thanks...but concy only gives a very coarse grained overview of cpu and the system as a whole.
conky is as detailed as you configure it to be.

You can also just add a panel applet to show the frequency. On my MATE desktop there's a built-in CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor.
karsti wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:42 am In cat /proc/cpuinfo it shows each core with 1200 MHZ. I guess it is just somehow splitting up that 2,4 GHZ so 1200MHZ is correct?
It's not splitting up anything. Your CPU frequency gets scaled down automatically, it only runs at max frequency under load.

Return to “Beginner Questions”