[Solved] different drives going into new laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DaveMcSu2
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] different drives going into new laptop

Post by DaveMcSu2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:24 am

Hello again!
I'm the chap that was asking whether Linuxing is easy.
I would like to say big thank you to everybody that responded on that one!
So, now to bring everybody up to date and ask my next question.
Bringing everybody up to date: New laptop is ordered but has not yet arrived (arrives tomorrow).
The new laptop will arrive devoid of any OS because it has been ordered without any SSD or HDD, just some RAM (8gb).
I have waiting to go into it two brand new, unopened drives, one Samsung 970evo an one Samsung 860evo. Both are 500gb capacity, but one is faster than the other.
When new laptop arrives I will install the new drives. I have my USB bootable Mint19 ready to go.
So to my question:
I would like to install Mint and other programs such as Open Office Writer, Gimp, Openshot etc onto the 970Evo as it is faster.
Then I would like to use the 860Evo to store things like the document files, the jpeg files, mp3 files, mpeg files etc. Most likely a folder for documents, a folder for jpegs, a folder for mpegs, a folder for MP3s
I tried googling for doing this, and it seems that Linux / mint will not "see" the drives as separate drives, and I will have to "assign" things when I set up Mint.
I am not sure how to do this.
What will be the simplest way to get Mint to store things the way I want it to?

Big thanks to anyone that has stayed with me this far!!
Last edited by DaveMcSu2 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Re: different drives going into new laptop

Post by rickNS » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:14 pm

First question I have is how much Data, pics. music, video do you have..in GB ?
Unless you run a radio station or something I doubt very much you actually "need" the second 500 GB, which maybe better used just for backup.

In any case there will be a few ways to do as you wish, from super simple to no-so simple. Simple would be as easy as clicking on the second drive's icon when you need it. to "something like" this, https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1609

Want to here your answer to the first question.
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jglen490 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:26 pm

rickNS wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:14 pm
First question I have is how much Data, pics. music, video do you have..in GB ?
Unless you run a radio station or something I doubt very much you actually "need" the second 500 GB, which maybe better used just for backup.

In any case there will be a few ways to do as you wish, from super simple to no-so simple. Simple would be as easy as clicking on the second drive's icon when you need it. to "something like" this, https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1609

Want to here your answer to the first question.
That should work, and here is a practical example that I used to install Kubuntu on my desktop machine which also received to new drives as part of a rebuild. The installer for Mint Linux and Kubuntu are the same

I made the new 160GB drive my primary (boot) drive, and the new 320GB drive as a secondary (non-boot) drive. I attached the USB thumb with the Live Kubuntu drive, and rebooted.

After it booted into the Live session, i chose to Install. I gave it my Wifi password, asked to install all the extra goodies and then chose the "Something Else" option at the appropriate screen. This brought up the screen where you decide how big each partition would be, and it showed both hard drives. For the first (160GB) drive I was doing an EFI boot on my machine, so using GPT I setup a 500MB fat32 /boot/efi partition, followed by about 50GB ext4 / partition, a 90GB ext4 /home partition, and about 8GB SWAP. The math is approximate here but I used my whole drive. And marked the partitions for formatting. The second (320GB) drive was also displayed on the same screen, using GPT on that drive (but no EFI partition) Is elected the whole drive 320GB ext4 /home/multimedia. I checked my inputs, made sure the boot loader was being loaded to the /boot/efi partition and and selected the next step.

The installer brought me through a couple more screens (keyboard, time zone, name, etc.) and it went through the installation. the end result was a usable Kubuntu installation with a proper fstab file and the two drives set up with installed software ready to work.

I used /home on the 160GB drive and /home/multimedia on the 320GB hard drive naming conventions because I'm lazy. When I do a backup of my data I want to do it once. And so I tell the backup routine to backup everything under "home" and it finds both drives and copies files in the correct sub-directories on the backup. All is well.

End of sales pitch!
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

AndyMH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AndyMH » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:37 pm

I've got a 480G SSD and a 2TB HDD in my laptop. As was suggested in an earlier post I use the HDD purely for backup cos 480G on my SSD is plenty of space. But basically you can do whatever you want and mount the second SSD wherever you want. If you get a choice, I'd install mint in legacy mode, think it's simpler. I go for separate / and /home partitions on the first SSD (leave a few GB unallocated - don't ask me why, but it seems to be accepted wisdom). My root partition is 50G and I've only used 15G!

Once you have mint up and running then you can sort out the second SSD. You can use gparted to partition and format it (first action is to create a partition table before you create partitions - select MSDOS partition table). How many partitions do you want (keep it simple)? I'd format it as ext4, can't think of any good reason to use NTFS if the only OS is mint. Then decide where to mount it, my backup drive is mounted as /media/ultrabay, previously when I've had a second 'data' drive, I've mounted it as /home/me/data. You define how it is mounted in the fstab file. Get up and running first and then ask questions about fstab.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T420 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jglen490 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:21 pm

The point is, there are a lot of ways to set up a great system when you have space options.

As was asked and pointed out before, understand your needs and wants in terms of applications and data. Mine tends to be fairly minimalistic, yours may be more extravagant. You are wise to make the faster drive run the actual applications, also make sure you have adequate RAM. When using an SSD you have extra maintenance requirements; some distros actually set up a TRIM cron job to take care of that, but make sure it's done at some point soon after your Linux is installed and running to your satisfaction.

It is important to understand how Linux sees the hardware. Every piece of hardware has one or more associated device files. The organization of that data is different, but not really difficult.

in the end, you can start simple with one drive and expand when you need to, or you do a "Big Bang" approach and design for the long term.

The real thing is to just do it. If it doesn't go right the first time, just do it again. This past weekend I installed three different distros on my old playground laptop, while watching one football game. That laptop has limitations, as a low mileage survivor - being 32 bit. Once you have a plan and employ a pattern with a goal in mind, it really doesn't take long!

And it's back to Mint 18.2, Mate, 32 bit.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

AndyMH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AndyMH » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:42 am

some distros actually set up a TRIM cron job to take care of that
I thought LM19 did this automatically, but having just checked, it hasn't. Something to do...
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T420 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Newbie Questions”