Disabling encryption on my harddrive/home folder

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
glmoneo
Level 1
Level 1

Disabling encryption on my harddrive/home folder

Post by glmoneo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:42 am

I'm enjoying the new 19 release. However, I did something rather foolish and need to know how to reverse it. I did a fresh install on my laptop and encrypted the hard drive. Every time at boot it asks me for a password. I need to disable this. Also, how do I unencrypt my home folder? Any help would be appreciated.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Disabling encryption on my harddrive/home folder

Post by WharfRat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:57 am

Hello glmoneo Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Bottom line is you're going to have to reinstall and, naturally, not choose the encrypted option.
ImageImage

glmoneo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glmoneo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:12 pm

I was afraid you'd say that...

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jglen490 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:59 pm

I would at least try to save your data that would be in /home to an unencrypted external hard drive or USB Thumb drive. Then you could reinstall Mint by formatting and NOT encrypting your internal drive. Then copy your /home data from the backup to your newly installed unencrypted Mint Linux.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Post by fabien85 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:33 am

You could use one of the many linux softwares to backup and restore in a smooth way.
For backing up the system itself (e.g. if you installed lots of applications and dont want to go through that process again) you can use timeshift, which is installed by default in Mint. (in fact you should have been prompted to make a timeshift snapshot the first time you ran the update manager)
For backing up your personal files and data, there are other softwares. I personaly use backintime. To do it simple you can backup the whole /home.

Then reinstall, using the same password for your user as you used in the previous installation.
Then restore.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:39 am

jglen490 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:59 pm
I would at least try to save your data that would be in /home to an unencrypted external hard drive or USB Thumb drive. Then you could reinstall Mint by formatting and NOT encrypting your internal drive. Then copy your /home data from the backup to your newly installed unencrypted Mint Linux.
Install Systemback and get a USB drive large enough to hold all you data. Then you can repartition the drive and reinstall the OS complete.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Newbie Questions”