Make Nemo Remember Tabs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

Make Nemo Remember Tabs

Post by MrGrimm »

is there any way to have nemo remember a set of tabs, so when i click to open nemo they are always there or at least click a bookmark to launch those tabs? also i love that compute is flat on the desktop is there a way to pin that to the panel? thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Make Nemo Remember Tabs

Post by smurphos »

Don't think so - you can make desktop / panel / menu launchers to open Nemo in a specific folder, but not to to open a specific set of folders in tabs or dual-pane view.

The command for the launcher is xdg-open "/path/to/folder".

To add a Computer launcher to the panel you'll need to create a custom panel launcher with the command xdg-open computer:/// - the icon your will need to add is called computer - when you open the icon picker in the create launcher GUI navigate to the devices folder for your current icon theme in /usr/share/icons/

e.g /usr/hare/icons/Mint-Y/devices

To create a desktop launcher. Right click on desktop and choose > Create a new launcher here (it will also offer to create a menu launcher, and from the menu you can easily add it to the panel)

To create a panel launcher directly. Right click on an existing panel launcher > Add

To create a menu launcher. Right click on menu icon in panel > Configure > Menu > Menu Editor > Add.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

ok appreciate the info. having nemo open to a specific folder on launch i already know. as for not being able to put the computer on the panel, i know it can be done cause it's just nemo opened to a specific folder, and nemo can be pinned to the panel. which means the code to open to that folder is already in mint. now as for bookmarking tabs nemo creators could take a page from the makers of clover http://en.ejie.me/ . for those with windows also and want to test clover i and many others suggest using only version 3.0.408.0, i'd dare to say have of their users myself included refuse to use any newer versions than that.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Of course it can be done, it's actually trivial, but open source development staffs aren't exactly under worked.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:22 am Of course it can be done, it's actually trivial, but open source development staffs aren't exactly under worked.
want to keep whatever problem you have to yourself, thanks.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

Only way I can think of how you could do this would be to use a script, guessing you could do it entirely in bash, but it's already been done in python with bash being used to call the tabs.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... linux-mint
Not tried the above as I find nemo mainly ok as a general file manager, but spacefm does what I want a file manager to do.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI MrGrimm,

FYI: There are many file managers available in addition to Nemo that you can install and use. There is nothing wrong with having more than one file manager installed.

The new really nice "Polo" file manager can also remember the last session and restore it. It also has options "workspace" options.

1.) polo: Advanced file manager for Linux written in Vala. Supports multiple panes (single, dual, quad) with multiple tabs in each pane. Supports archive creation, extraction and browsing. Support for cloud storage; running and managing KVM images, modifying PDF documents and image files, booting ISO files in KVM, and writing ISO files to USB drives.
https://github.com/teejee2008/polo

2.) Sunflower
http://sunflower-fm.org/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

eu2 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:27 pm Only way I can think of how you could do this would be to use a script, guessing you could do it entirely in bash, but it's already been done in python with bash being used to call the tabs.
That's a nice script...I did wonder at using xdotool to open the tabs, didn't know a method to set what folder opens in each tab. Thanks for sharing.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:01 pm HI MrGrimm,

FYI: There are many file managers available in addition to Nemo that you can install and use. There is nothing wrong with having more than one file manager installed.

The new really nice "Polo" file manager can also remember the last session and restore it. It also has options "workspace" options.

1.) polo: Advanced file manager for Linux written in Vala. Supports multiple panes (single, dual, quad) with multiple tabs in each pane. Supports archive creation, extraction and browsing. Support for cloud storage; running and managing KVM images, modifying PDF documents and image files, booting ISO files in KVM, and writing ISO files to USB drives.

2.) Sunflower

Hope this helps ...
polo only opens to full screen, and using more than one file manager waste time.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

i'm just posting here and hope most see this post. CUMcast goofed again and i just got back online. i will catch up on thread post tomorrow.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI MrGrimm,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

eu2 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:27 pm Only way I can think of how you could do this would be to use a script, guessing you could do it entirely in bash, but it's already been done in python with bash being used to call the tabs.
Not tried the above as I find nemo mainly ok as a general file manager, but spacefm does what I want a file manager to do.
yea i watched a vid comparing nemo to 3 other file managers and it did horribly. especially how it handles views. i have to agree.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:01 pm HI MrGrimm,

2.) Sunflower

Hope this helps ...
hey i like the look and feel of polo, but i open desktop or my shortcut folder and none of the shortcuts are useable, i couldn't be sure if the view settings were per folder or universal since they're only in the menu bar and not no the rightclick context menu in the folders, refuses to open windowed instead of full screen, rightclicking on drives in the navigation pane has on option for open them in a new tab.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

thanks for the idea on the script,, as for sapacefm i dislike pcmanfm and spacefm is ranked worst the it.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

MrGrimm wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:10 am
that's for the idea on the stript, but I'm not writing out a script, as for sapacefm i'm dislike pcmanfm and spacefm is ranked worst the it.
Fair enough, kinda thought the script thing could be pretty interesting, perhaps more in a kiosk/multiple user situation where things are locked down somewhat.
It would do what you required though, if the tabs you wanted to have stayed the same. It could be launched separately from a standard nemo session.

Have you tried spacefm though? Comparing spacefm to pcmanfm would be the same as comparing say tmux to screen..
Regardless best wishes.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi MrGrimm!

In addition to the other good replies here I'll add Double Commander to the list of options as I prefer it (ex-TC user:) for 'file management' over Nemo, Nautilus and Caja that I've also experienced these past few months. In options you can setup "favorite tabs", including saving current tab(s) and "reloading favorite tabs". Perhaps this will help as a workaround for Nemo issues. You will find it in the respositories using Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) or enter into terminal sudo apt install doublecmd-gtk (ther is a -qt version as well, I do not know the differences between or if one is better than the other, I installed -gtk version as recommended on the easy linux tips page, see #1.5 of 10 essentials!)
Hope this helps!

edit to fix tips project link
Last edited by redlined on Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

i'm assuming Double Commander is double paned, right? i'll take a look. thanks

EDIT:

link broken
redlined

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:06 pm i'm assuming Double Commander is double paned, right? i'll take a look. thanks

EDIT:

link broken
hi MrGrimm, yes, it is 'double paned' and sorry about that link, not sure how I messed that up and can't edit post for some reason...

this is what I referred to from linux tips project, Tip #1.5
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... management
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

no biggy, thanks for reposting.
MrGrimm

Re: (SOLVED) Make Nemo Remember Tabs

Post by MrGrimm »

o.k. wshat did i do wrong?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... 480#490480

"Yes this is very much possible. I use a python script for this task for my caja browser. I am reproducing the script here by replacing caja with nemo. Hopefully, it will directly work with nemo without any further changes.

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import subprocess
import time
import sys

get = lambda cmd: subprocess.check_output(["/bin/bash", "-c", cmd]).decode("utf-8")
def run(cmd):
    subprocess.call(["/bin/bash", "-c", cmd])

try:
    arg = sys.argv[1]
except:
    arg = ""

try:
    pid = get("pidof nemo").strip()
except subprocess.CalledProcessError:
    run("nemo "+arg)
else:
    w = [l.split() for l in get("wmctrl -lp").splitlines() if pid in l][-1]
    w_id = w[0]   
    if len( [l for l in get("xprop -id "+w_id).splitlines() if all(
        ["_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM)" in l, "_TYPE_NORMAL" in l])]) != 0:
        run("wmctrl -ia "+w[0])
        run("xdotool key Control_L+t")
        if arg != "":
            run("xdotool key Control_L+l")
            time.sleep(0.2)
            run("xdotool type "+arg)
            time.sleep(0.01*len(arg))
            run("xdotool key Return")
    else:
        run("nemo "+arg)
Save this script as nemo-tab.py in your ~/bin directory or any other directory which you have in your path. Make it executable. Then, when you run this script it will open up a new tab in any current running nemo browser or start a new browser if no instance is running. You run it as following:

nemo-tab.py "~/Documents"
Now, for your case, you can issue the command five times in a bash script to load a nemo instance with 5 initial tabs:

#!/bin/bash
nemo-tab.py "~/Documents"
nemo-tab.py "~/Desktop"
nemo-tab.py "~/media/data"
nemo-tab.py "~/Videos"
nemo-tab.py "~/Pictures"
Note that you will need to install xdotool and wmctrl:

sudo apt-get install xdotool wmctrl
Source of Python script: https://askubuntu.com/questions/628084/ ... n-nautilus "

just opened bin as root, created the above nemo-tab.py.,made it executable, installed xdotool and wmctrl, and beyond i'm at a loss. thought rightclicking on bin, open in terminal, and entering nemo-tab.py "/home/mc2635599/Desktop/Shortcuts" would do the trick, but all it did was open a copy of the tab i already had open. once i did the 4th tab i wanted i exited terminal, closed nemo, relaunched nemo and no multiple tabs. help please.

Return to “Beginner Questions”