[RESOLVED] Problems with downloaded themes in LM 17.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

[RESOLVED] Problems with downloaded themes in LM 17.3

Post by ineuw »

Managed to install LM 17.3 Cinnamon successfully on an old Macbook, but the downloaded the Cinnamox-Aubergine displays the context menus of the panel with 100% background transparency. However, the themes which are included in the OS, display correctly, and I have no idea how to correct a downloaded theme. I searched the Cinnamon.css for any transparency code, but there is none. In fact the note at the top of the .css file clearly state that transparency is not used.

In addition, the main menu has black text on purple background but replacing #000000 with #FFFFFF in the .css file changed nothing. Can someone suggest how I can correct these problems
Transparent context menu background.png
Main menu.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
Laptop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English - as of 24-04-15
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Problems with downloaded themes in LM 17.3

Post by smurphos »

From the theme readme - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... -Aubergine
Compatibility
This theme is compatible with Cinnamon versions 3.2.x, 3.4.x, 3.6.x, 3.8.x & 4.0.x

The GTK3 themes require GTK 3.18.x or 3.20.x+
That basically means Mint 18.1 or later - no support for 18, or 17.x
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ineuw »

smurphos wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:40 pmThat basically means Mint 18.1 or later - no support for 18, or 17.x
smurphos, much thanks for the info. I learned something important. Would it be possible to copy one of the themes from /usr/share/themes and change the colors to my preferences? Modifying the cinnamox themes is useless.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Yep that's doable - just copy the theme to ~/.themes and edit from there. If you use a text editor with a search function searching the cinnamon.css for the strings color:, background, gradient & border should pick up all of the declarations that need to be changed for a full color change.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ineuw »

smurphos wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:20 am Yep that's doable - just copy the theme to ~/.themes and edit from there. If you use a text editor with a search function searching the cinnamon.css for the strings color:, background, gradient & border should pick up all of the declarations that need to be changed for a full color change.
Thanks. !!!!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Linux DE themes are an unreliable bucket of worms, even worse than Windows. I gave up 3rd party themes years ago.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”