[SOLVED] Mint Cinnamon 19.0 Not Shutting Down

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edhdk

[SOLVED] Mint Cinnamon 19.0 Not Shutting Down

Post by edhdk »

I installed Mint Cinnamon 19 yesterday and have not figured out how to have it shut down cleanly.
It will Restart okay... goes to "starting Power-off" then "reboot:Power down", then reboots back to the desktop. Shut Down goes to "starting Power-off" then "reboot:Power down" and hangs... does nothing else... and I have to manually power off. This problem also occurs with the live CD.

I see this issue reported over the years and have tried the things that fixed others but nothing has worked for me so far.

Previous to this install I had Mint Cinnamon 18.3 running very well over this past year, but I upgraded to a SSD and wanted a clean install. Bad move on my part.

Any suggestions?

Ed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint Cinnamon 19.0 Not Shutting Down

Post by sleeper12 »

If you press Esc when it hangs, you might get a message telling what the problem is. If so, post it here. Your system info would help us too.
Last edited by sleeper12 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

pci=nomsi options in the /etc/default/grub file.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=281110
edhdk

Post by edhdk »

I tried the methods in viewtopic.php?f=47&t=281110 but still not shutting down all the way.

Here's what I see after I click Shut Down...
[OK] Started Show Plymouth Screen.
Please remove the installation medium, then press ENTER: {Note: I did this but the CD tray stayed open}
[OK] Started Shuts Down the "live" preinstalled system cleanly.
[OK] Reached target final step.
Started Power-Off...
[ 793.796761] systemd-shutdown[1]: failed to wait for process:protocol error
[ 794.028129] reboot-power down
-
{Note: at this point it stops and I have to manually force shutdown or turn power off}

Ed
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Assuming you have the most recent systemd (?), you can try changing drivers in Driver Manager and see if that makes any difference. Also, came across this, seems to work for some, not others:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZBTSUbzT0g
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

edhdk wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:24 pm I installed Mint Cinnamon 19 yesterday and have not figured out how to have it shut down cleanly.
It will Restart okay... goes to "starting Power-off" then "reboot:Power down", then reboots back to the desktop. Shut Down goes to "starting Power-off" then "reboot:Power down" and hangs... does nothing else... and I have to manually power off. This problem also occurs with the live CD.
Ed
I thought we had that problem fixed on my 18.3 Cinnamon, but it has reared its' head again.
18.3 will NOT power the PC off.... it just hangs at the same place you just stated.
"reboot:Power down"

and I have to use the Power Key to force the power supply to shut down.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
edhdk

Post by edhdk »

sleeper12 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 pm Assuming you have the most recent systemd (?), you can try changing drivers in Driver Manager and see if that makes any difference. Also, came across this, seems to work for some, not others:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZBTSUbzT0g
Since I downloaded the Mint Cinnamon 19 iso and used it to burn my live cd just five days ago, I assume I have the latest systemd. I don't know where I would go to get a newer one. I ran Driver Manager but all it informed me was that "no propriety drivers are in use." I also modified my grub as per the video but still locks up as before.

Looks like others are having the same issue. This is frustrating and if I had my old Mint Cinnamon 18.3 live cd I'd reinstall that. I hesitate rebuilding the ham radio applications on this platform not knowing this issue can be solved. Still, I am hopeful.

Ed
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I went back and looked at Grub again, and fixed it.
Mine is shutting down now, again.

note the pci=nomsi in that line... it is critical as to how the quotes are added and the spaces.

Apparently, these two lines are very ticklish about the format,
all I did was to add a single space to the front of the line...
it somehow, lost that space in earlier edits

Code: Select all

# parameters for non-recovery boot only:
 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pci=nomsi ipv6.disable=1 usbcore.autosuspend=-1 enable_mtrr_cleanup mtrr_spare_reg_nr=10 mtrr_gran_size=32M mtrr_chunk_size=64M"

# parameters for all boots:
 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="pci=nomsi"

usbcore.autosuspend=-1 forces my USB mouse to always work

enable_mtrr has to do with forcing the RAM in my laptop to work right, just ignore that.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

edhdk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:32 am

Since I downloaded the Mint Cinnamon 19 iso and used it to burn my live cd just five days ago, I assume I have the latest systemd. I don't know where I would go to get a newer one.
If you go to Update Manager in Menu, it will tell you all updates available, systemd or others.
edhdk

Post by edhdk »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:41 am I went back and looked at Grub again, and fixed it.
Mine is shutting down now, again.
Tried your edits but still stops as before.

A few other things are now acting strange such as Icons in Themes not changing from gnome to Adwaita or hicolor and Panel icons changing positions.
edhdk

Post by edhdk »

If you go to Update Manager in Menu, it will tell you all updates available, systemd or others.
Sorry... senior moment. I knew that and have been using it for a year. Spending too much time on this this problem and getting mentally foggy.

With all the troubles and before I do any more updating and grub editing I will do a fresh install next. I'll report back here.
edhdk

Post by edhdk »

Solved...
I replaced the new SSD with an old HDD, installed Mint 19 on it and now Shutdown turns the computer off as it's supposed to.
I have no idea why, but apparently Mint Cinnamon 19 does not work well installed when installed on the Crucial SSD. This was an expensive lesson.
Thanks to all who tried to help.
Ed
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] Mint Cinnamon 19.0 Not Shutting Down

Post by AndyMH »

Odd because LM19 (and 18.3) runs fine on my Crucial SSD, a CT500MX500SSD1 500G.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”