Why does disc 2 change location when i restart and how do i fix it?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

Why does disc 2 change location when i restart and how do i fix it?

Post by anonymityisrare »

Hi. I'm running a torrent file on my second hard drive, but every time i boot up the file disappears in my torrent client, and i have to add it again. How do i fix that? I want disc 2 to be at the same location so i don't have to update my list in the torrent client. Thanks in advance!
edit: It's in media/username/disk2 and of i put in on disk 1 it works, but i want to save space.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why does disc 2 change location when i restart and how do i fix it?

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Maybe this will help.

sudo chown -R username: /location of disk 2
(change username to the username of your pc; change location of disk 2 to location of disk 2)

sudo mount -a

Then reboot.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Is the second hard disk internal (fixed) or sternal (removable)?
If it is internal (fixed), how is it invoked its assembly in Fstab? If it exists in fstab, of course.
Last edited by ricardogroetaers on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

Joe2Shoe wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 pm
Maybe this will help.

sudo chown -R username: /location of disk 2
(change username to the username of your pc; change location of disk 2 to location of disk 2)

sudo mount -a

Then reboot.
Thanks for the answer. But i don't think that worked.. I tried checking an existing torrent and then rebooted. And then i got permission denied and an I/O error...
It's qbittorrent for linux that might be messing up.. I should not have to chown a whole drive after an install. It should just work. I will try to fix this tomorrow.
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

ricardogroetaers wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:07 pm
Is the second hard disk internal (fixed) or sternal (removable)?
If it is fixed, how is it invoked its assembly in Fstab? If it exists in fstab, of course.
It's fixed and here is some output:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/mapper/mint--vg-root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=*-*-*-*-* /boot ext4 defaults $
/dev/mapper/mint--vg-swap_1 none swap sw 0 0
ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

I can't understand the meaning of "/dev/mapper/mint--vg-root" and "/dev/mapper/mint--vg-swap_1".
Maybe it's referring lvm.
Sorry I can't help.
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

ricardogroetaers wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:32 am
I can't understand the meaning of "/dev/mapper/mint--vg-root" and "/dev/mapper/mint--vg-swap_1".
Maybe it's referring lvm.
Sorry I can't help.
No problem.. You tried. It's encrypted.. That might be it perhaps. I just don't understand why that torrent client dont have a fixed location. I might try some other torrent client just to see if that works.
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

So.. How come if i add a torrent on linux on my second drive, and i restart, and it's not there any more, or it tries to download again.. When it's already downloaded. Why is it like that? It must be that the disk changes location somehow in linux right? One fix is to have the files on the primary drive that linux is installed in, but i don't want that.
(I don't support windows any more really, but i never had issues like this on windows. It's more that i don't know how linux works yet, then linux itself.)
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi anonymityisrare,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

FYI: All drives and their partitions other than your boot up drive's partition with Linux Mint must be "mounted" to be available for all other applications to use. This is done automatically on some Linux Mint editions, but sometimes applications for whatever reasons prefer a different "mounting point" location other than the default "/media/username/..." folder. The "Disks" application makes this a simple task, see link below, and it updates the system's drive file "fstab" for you, reboot afterward. Should function well with any filesystem (NTFS, ext4, etc..).

NTFS Partition does not activate even with automount, until clicking drive in file manager - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=278971&p=1535140#p1535140

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

phd21 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:50 pm
Hi anonymityisrare,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

FYI: All drives and their partitions other than your boot up drive's partition with Linux Mint must be "mounted" to be available for all other applications to use. This is done automatically on some Linux Mint editions, but sometimes applications for whatever reasons prefer a different "mounting point" location other than the default "/media/username/..." folder. The "Disks" application makes this a simple task, see link below, and it updates the system's drive file "fstab" for you, reboot afterward. Should function well with any filesystem (NTFS, ext4, etc..).

NTFS Partition does not activate even with automount, until clicking drive in file manager - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=278971&p=1535140#p1535140

Hope this helps ...
Thanks! Good answer. That fixed it. And i used /mnt/UUID/
So i have to mount it with the disk tool then to get the disk locked in that position perhaps. Good to know. Or if i used the wrong path with qbittorrent earlier. Everything works now. Thanks for the help. ;)
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi anonymityisrare,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks! Another thing if you or anyone else knows... Why are allot of files on dosdevices? (Whatever it means.) I don't understand how that works.
I installed webhttrack, and when i search in the file explorer i find the folder.. But, it's in this location:
/home/username/Games/warframe/dosdevices/z:/usr/share/doc/webhttrack

I understand that warframe is doing something in lutris, and that's the cause. I don't know why though... Could anyone put some light on this? It's warframe installed with lutris, but why does files seem to be in a location like that? Thanks
Edit: I might try and fix that later on... Just because i like to learn the real location of folders in linux, or if it's supposed to look like this i'm not sure.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi anonymityisrare,

If you install the Linux Wine system to play MS Windows games or to run other MS Windows applications, then you will have "dosdevices" and references to MS Windows type folder locations.

How did you install this "warframe" using what instructions? You can run warframe from Linux Steam game system or install "Lutris" open gaming platform for Linux.

I don't see how webHTTrack website copier has anything to do with the "warframe" game?

FYI: Since I never heard of the Lutris gaming for Linux, I thought I would install it which was easy to do. The Warframe game installed easily but started a self-update that took over 1.5 hrs on my ancient computer, but then it came right up. Is this an online game against other online gamers?

FYI-2: The Linux Wine system does pose a security threat when used with applications that access the Internet just like it would in MS Windows. Perhaps the sandboxing application "Firejail" can help protect from those threats.

Hope this helps ...
lutris gaming - warframe
lutris gaming - warframe
lutris gaming - warframe
lutris gaming - warframe
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

phd21 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:30 pm
Hi anonymityisrare,

If you install the Linux Wine system to play MS Windows games or to run other MS Windows applications, then you will have "dosdevices" and references to MS Windows type folder locations.

How did you install this "warframe" using what instructions? You can run warframe from Linux Steam game system or install "Lutris" open gaming platform for Linux.

I don't see how webHTTrack website copier has anything to do with the "warframe" game?

FYI: Since I never heard of the Lutris gaming for Linux, I thought I would install it which was easy to do. The Warframe game installed easily but started a self-update that took over 1.5 hrs on my ancient computer, but then it came right up. Is this an online game against other online gamers?

FYI-2: The Linux Wine system does pose a security threat when used with applications that access the Internet just like it would in MS Windows. Perhaps the sandboxing application "Firejail" can help protect from those threats.

Hope this helps ...
Lutris_Gaming_warframe1.jpg
Lutris_Gaming_warframe2.jpg
Thanks for the answer. Good to know about dosdevices and that it's wine. What i mean is... The path warframe is in every search word in the file viewer. And that's what i am wondering about.. Why does linux applications and stuff show up like that in the file manager? If you know..
Here are some screenshots.. And i hope it's no virus because of wine and security issues with it. (If it's not just wine that "scrambles" the paths in linux like that for all files...)

Here are some screenshots. I erased my username for some reason, but it's the file path that i'm interested in to why. And when i used whereis in the terminal the right path showed up in there. Some search words, and then you will see for yourself:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3dy5iwe26/

I also don't see how webHTTrack website copier has anything to do with the "warframe" game. Do you or anyone know why or if it's supposed to be like this? Thanks for the help. ;) Also.. I forgot to mention that i installed warframe with lutris, and yes you can play against others also with the game and it's a free game.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi anonymityisrare,

You are welcome...
anonymityisrare wrote:Thanks for the answer. Good to know about dosdevices and that it's wine. What i mean is... The path warframe is in every search word in the file viewer. And that's what i am wondering about.. Why does linux applications and stuff show up like that in the file manager? If you know..
Here are some screenshots.. And i hope it's no virus because of wine and security issues with it. (If it's not just wine that "scrambles" the paths in linux like that for all files...)

Here are some screenshots. I erased my username for some reason, but it's the file path that i'm interested in to why, and when i used whereis in the terminal and the right path showed up in there. Some search words, and then you will see for yourself.
I do not see any screenshots in your reply? I do not understand what you are trying to tell us? What file viewer search application(s) are you using?

Uploading a screenshot, image, or images to this forum
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=232332&hilit=screenshot+forum

You can use various anti-virus bootable rescue discs to scan your Linux system including the Wine packages or install an anti-virus software application like ClamAV which is not recommended, but you are using Wine...

anonymityisrare wrote:I also don't see how webHTTrack website copier has anything to do with the "warframe" game. Do you or anyone know why or if it's supposed to be like this? Thanks for the help. ;)
I have no idea why webHTTrack website copier is mentioned in this post or where you are getting that message from? Maybe if you used it to try and retrieve "warframe" from its website?

You still did not mention how you installed "warframe"?

Hope this helps ...
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

My bad.. I thought the link was a gallery.. But i saw the link did not work now.
Here are the same screenshots with direct links:

https://i.postimg.cc/mrbnrN1j/1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/GmPNrSt9/2.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/rpZznjSY/3.jpg <<-- the terminal shows the real path.

I used the lutris warframe script from their website when i used lutris.. I'm not sure if it's supposed to look like that. I could uninstall warframe and try it in steam later on, and then the folder paths might work like normal again later on.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi anonymityisrare,

I installed the Lutris Linux gaming system using the OpenSuse (OBS) Ubuntu repository instructions to keep it updated, then I used the install button script from the Lutris website to install "warframe". My ancient computer is not powerful enough to play most games except perhaps the more basic games.

Your link did send me to your image hosting website and I could see the images there. FYI: If you copy a shared direct link URL address for an image from an image hosting website, then click "rimg" in the forum during a post or reply, then paste that image's URL address the images should appear in the forum, repeat for each image.

It looks like you have an encrypted home folder or have setup some type of encryption folder(s) from the one screenshot. I see no need to install a game into a specially encrypted folder?

I am still not sure what you are worried or confused about regarding the folders and files installed by Lutris and warframe?

FYI Update: Just for the heck of it, I scanned both the Lutris and Games (warframe) folders with 2 different anti-virus scanners (Maldet with ClamAV and BitDefender) and they did not find anything to worry about.

FYI: Warframe and its updates installed over 30 gigabytes of folders and files!
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

phd21 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:04 pm
Hi anonymityisrare,

I installed the Lutris Linux gaming system using the OpenSuse (OBS) Ubuntu repository instructions to keep it updated, then I used the install button script from the Lutris website to install "warframe". My ancient computer is not powerful enough to play most games except perhaps the more basic games.

Your link did send me to your image hosting website and I could see the images there. FYI: If you copy a shared direct link URL address for an image from an image hosting website, then click "rimg" in the forum during a post or reply, then paste that image's URL address the images should appear in the forum, repeat for each image.

It looks like you have an encrypted home folder or have setup some type of encryption folder(s) from the one screenshot. I see no need to install a game into a specially encrypted folder?

I am still not sure what you are worried or confused about regarding the folders and files installed by Lutris and warframe?

FYI Update: Just for the heck of it, I scanned both the Lutris and Games (warframe) folders with 2 different anti-virus scanners (Maldet with ClamAV and BitDefender) and they did not find anything to worry about.

FYI: Warframe and its updates installed over 30 gigabytes of folders and files!
Hi. Thanks.. Well.. So the warframe folder scrambles the linux folders somehow? I just tried searching for any file and the warframe path shows up in every search query.. And i'm not sure if it's supposed to look like that? I am just wondering to why i see warframe in every search query on my computer? Does it look the same for you when you search for files? Good to know. Why does warframe show up when i search for something random on the computer like webhttrack or python or anything? I might try uninstall warframe later on just to check if the paths go away.. I encrypted the system when i installed linux mint. That's all i did.
anonymityisrare
Level 1
Level 1

phd21 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:30 pm
Hi anonymityisrare,

Yeah, i understand it more now. I installed playonlinux and now i have playonlinux in the location with dosdevices! So it's good to know that wine "scrambles" file locations. I can't remember how it looked before i tried wine, but i think it was the normal paths. I know what's causing it now anyways, so thanks for your previous answers. ;) Guess i learnt something new in linux, and that's always good. Linux seems to be a bit complicated but i love it. Linux mint is such an awesome OS! <3

Return to “Newbie Questions”