Advice on how to identify target USB key for Mint install.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
green_dragon34
Level 1
Level 1

Advice on how to identify target USB key for Mint install.

Post by green_dragon34 »

Trying to install Mint Linux from Live Mint 19.0 Tara (Cinnamon) onto another USB key with an Alienware R2 (2016) (Core I7, 16 GB Ram. 512 SSD with a 1 TB hard drive) that has a functioning Windows 10 Pro. I can see the different hard drives, USB keys inside the live Mint Linux. The installer finds someplace it wants to install Mint Linux, and happily wants to Partition/Format it. As their is no way to compare on the partition it wants to install to, and what I can see inside the Live Mint Linux running from the first USB key, I do not follow through with the install. I do no want to damage the Windows 10 Pro already installed on the hard drive.

Please keep in mind, that Windows 10 creates a lot of partitions on the hard drive, that make it crazy if they are touched. I need to keep the Windows 10 on the hard drive. I do not have several external hard drives to make solid copies of Windows 10. Windows 10 is tightly dovetailed to the firmware on this computer, and I feel I need to keep it, for some other reasons.

I wanted to suggest that those who create the "Mint installer" make it a bit clearer which Partition, USB, Drive it is referring to for Install. This is a big issue for newcomers who have short patience in sorting things out. Might help just to tell me the size of the Target Partition Mint is looking to Partition/Format.

I did use another laptop, whose hard drive I removed to make the target USB drive the only one available for install. After the initial Install, as the first laptop has a slow processor, with 2 GB memory, I moved the USB key into the Alienware, and ran the updates. All seemed well. Now I when I try to start it. I get something about GRUB ------. I will have to fiddle with that, or go back and do the install all over again. I am limited in that I do not have internet at home, and must use the public library WiFi to do all the updates. I am on Social Security and dependent on Public WiFi for internet. Be nice to figure out how to get Mint Linux to work from an external hard drive on the Alienware.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jglen490

Re: Advice on how to identify target USB key for Mint install.

Post by jglen490 »

I would have to say that, first, Linux is not Windows. Don't expect it to act, look, or process like Windows. Second, Linux makes it very clear where every drive is and the identity of every drive. Patience has nothing to do with it, dropping assumptions off at the corner has everything to do with it.

The Mint installer, being Linux oriented, it clearly identifies which drives are occupied, how they are partitioned, and the filesystems that are on those partitions. It also clearly identifies where the blank spaces are. It is absolutely up to the user to understand what the installer is showing, what it is asking, and what decisions the user has to make.

So, please ask questions, and provide pictures if necessary.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

green_dragon34 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:17 pm Trying to install Mint Linux from Live Mint 19.0 Tara (Cinnamon) onto another USB key with an Alienware R2 (2016) (Core I7, 16 GB Ram. 512 SSD with a 1 TB hard drive) that has a functioning Windows 10 Pro. I can see the different hard drives, USB keys inside the live Mint Linux. The installer finds someplace it wants to install Mint Linux, and happily wants to Partition/Format it. As their is no way to compare on the partition it wants to install to, and what I can see inside the Live Mint Linux running from the first USB key, I do not follow through with the install. I do no want to damage the Windows 10 Pro already installed on the hard drive.
One easy way to list all the mounted partitions is to, once you have the LiveUSB booted, run the following command in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

lsblk
This will produce a list of, among other things, all mass-storage devices, all the partitions on each, and the size of each partition. You can use this information, in concert with you knowledge of the individual mounted devices to identify your target USB device.
green_dragon34 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:17 pm I wanted to suggest that those who create the "Mint installer" make it a bit clearer which Partition, USB, Drive it is referring to for Install. This is a big issue for newcomers who have short patience in sorting things out. Might help just to tell me the size of the Target Partition Mint is looking to Partition/Format.
The installer is quite clear about where things are going to be installed. The problem here seems to be that it uses "Linux Language" and not "Windows Language" to identify that target. Overcoming that language barrier is something that is going to take time and a bit of study. As is often written, "Linux is not Windows."

And, as posted above .... ask questions, each in a separate thread (or in a common thread if it REALLY makes sense to do so) and people here will be most happy to help you out. Everyone here understands that no one came to Linux knowing anything about Linux. They all had to learn - they were all noobies at one time. So respect for noobies is a given.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

green_dragon34 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:17 pm I wanted to suggest that those who create the "Mint installer" make it a bit clearer which Partition, USB, Drive it is referring to for Install. This is a big issue for newcomers who have short patience in sorting things out.

Please keep in mind, that Windows 10 creates a lot of partitions on the hard drive, that make it crazy if they are touched. I need to keep the Windows 10 on the hard drive. I do not have several external hard drives to make solid copies of Windows 10.

Be nice to figure out how to get Mint Linux to work from an external hard drive.
GreenDragon34 Welcome to the LinuxMInt forum,

I am a one year old newbie myself and I can still remember clearly how I panicked when I did a first install of LinuxMint because I didnt understand what and where Linux was installed alongside Windows. I accidentally wiped out a backup partition so it is wise of you to first ask for help at this very friendly Linux forum, with many experienced forum members who are willing to help.

My first suggestion as a solution to your fear of damaging your Windows10 OS, would be to make a system image of Windows10. Below is a link on how to do that. It is a neccesity, not an option if you want to be sure that you can always fall back on an exact working copy of your current Windows10 system.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make ... windows-10

Below are two more links to information on this very forum about a 'full usb drive install" and problems with GRUB. In the right upper corner of this forum is a search field, with which you can find numerous similar problems and the solutions to it. If any questions arise the very experienced and smart forummembers will happily guide you along.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=281850&p=1554490&h ... l#p1554490

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=281302&p=1551544&h ... b#p1551544
green_dragon34
Level 1
Level 1

Post by green_dragon34 »

wrong place for the post I wrote.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Actually Linux install is very forgiving when installing in parallel to Windwoes. FWIW during the install process it will ask you if you want to install alongside Windwoes or remove everything a load just Linux. Obviously you want to keep Windows so selecting to install alongside would be your choice. Linux does it all for you and it is very easy and painless. As a QUALIFIER, though, In the remote chance that something goes wrong, it is always recommended to have a current backup of all critical data. I would also ensure that my recovery media (i.e. Windows disk & product key if needed, along with all other program disks and their respective keys, usernames and passwords) is all up to date,

That said, Linux is SOOOOO much easier. It has taken me almost longer to type that than it does for me to re-instal Linux from scratch. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Beginner Questions”