Going back to Mint 18.3 only from Manjaro 18 dual boot?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EmphaticItalic
Level 1
Level 1

Going back to Mint 18.3 only from Manjaro 18 dual boot?

Post by EmphaticItalic »

My foray into Manjaro has come to an end sooner than expected. I did this by installing Manjaro as dual boot with Mint. I thought I would stick with Manjaro for at least a few weeks, but sheepishly I've had enough after less than a week. I previously investigated Manjaro early this year as my main OS for serveral weeks and went back to Mint that time too. Once again I realise how much I love Mint!

Am I able to revert my system back to Mint only, keeping all my settings for Mint? Manjaro spilt my SSD drive into 2 equal partitions for Manjaro and Mint.

Manjaro's grub is controlling how the computer boots now. Am I able to say, format the Manjaro partition, and then restore Mint's grub somehow?

I am imagining it would be a similar process to if someone wanted to go from dual boot Windows / Linux to simply Linux...

I knew when I went through with the dual boot, if I wanted to go back to Mint only, it would probably mean formatting the whole SSD and reinstalling Mint. This is okay, I don't really mind. (All meaningful data is on separate drives from the one used to boot OS's, and plenty of backups too).

I am wondering though if I can lose the Manjaro part while retaining all my Mint set up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
philotux

Re: Going back to Mint 18.3 only from Manjaro 18 dual boot?

Post by philotux »

Please runsudo parted -lin a terminal (in Manjaro or Mint) and copy/paste the output back here. This will give the forum members who are able to assist you some idea about your disk setup. Maybe even an screenshot of the system disk from Gparted.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Going back to Mint 18.3 only from Manjaro 18 dual boot?

Post by Pierre »

From a Live LinuxMint Media - -
you can just format that Manjaro partition & then re-use it as a /data partition:
- this would be the easiest option

then, also from that live media - reinstall the LinuxMint Grub Boot Loader:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245
is one way to do that.

if not the easy option, then also using Gparted from that Live Media:
- to initially Delete that Manjaro partition & then resize the remaining LinuxMint partition,
in order to occupy the entire SSD again.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”