Adding HDDs after Install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
skoty
Level 1
Level 1

Adding HDDs after Install

Post by skoty »

First off I would like to say that I'm a fairly new user so I apologize in advance if this question has been asked already, but I cant seem to find the answer.

I have 4 HDDs installed all together, but I have installed LM19 on one, but now I'm to a point that I want to start saving files to a different HDD and have it accessible via windows over the network. When I formatted the drives into ext4 i wasn't able to make a download folder from chrome on it and I wasn't even able to mount it when I formatted them to fat32 so windows can read them.

thanks in advance

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Adding HDDs after Install

Post by AscLinux »

You say you want to share these drives with remote Windows and then suddenly tell about FAT32, do you also want to share these drives locally?

skoty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skoty »

yes, let me re-explain what I'm trying to accomplish here to hopefully help lol

Installed LM19 on 80GB HDD, have 3 more HDDs installed, but are unreadable/writeable unless they are formatted into ext4

I'm wanting to download and create files on the LM19 and have those files accessible on Win10 and needing to point the downloads into a different HDD. I have installed samba and able to see the shared folder from win10 to linux but cant open the shared folder from Linux to Windows.

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Not clear, do you dual boot and need your local Windows to access these drives or not? I assume yes, since you talk about FAT32?

skoty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skoty »

No two separate systems networked together

from what I found when doing some research is that win10 cant read ext4 and only fat32 and that I was suppose to format the HDDs in the LM19 box but now that I formatted those HDDs to fat32 I'm unable to mount them in LM19
Last edited by skoty on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi skoty,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

See these posts:
Why does disc 2 change location when i restart and how do i fix it?
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=281943&p=1555268#p1555268

NTFS Partition does not activate even with automount, until clicking drive in file manager
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=278971&p=1535140#p1535140

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

skoty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skoty »

ok so after reading up on those posts (thank you btw for those) its telling me that the HDDs need to be in NTFS format which I get is what windows uses ... going to try that and see if that works

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi skoty,

You are welcome...

You can mount almost any drive and its partitions regardless of their filesystem. The Linux "ext" and MS Windows NTFS and Fat32 filesystem drivers are already installed and recognized by Linux Mint. If you want to mount other filesystems like a MAC filesystem, then add the "HFS" packages from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", reboot and then you can even use those in the "Disks" application and other apps.

Keep in mind, that Linux filesystems like "ext4" also require user "permissions" to be able to copy, move, create, edit, or delete files. I usually format external shared drive partitions that I want to use (share or networked) to the NTFS file system, so that I don't have to mess around with the Linux permissions. But, anyone can easily change the Linux drive partitions to allow your user permission to access the drive and its content by running the command below or from within a file manager that allows root user (superuser) access.

Command to give your current user permission to manage the drive's content
* change the portion of the command below "<mounting point folder>" to the actual drive partition's mounting point.

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER <mounting point folder>
Example

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /mnt/ssdata480
There are various ways to see what a drive and its partitions mounting points are once they are mounted including the "Disks" application, Partition Manager Editors (gParted, etc...), console terminal commands. You can mount a drive partition manually using the file manager and clicking it, or using the device notifier (removable drive) icon in the system tray panel, the "Disks" app, or a Partition Manager editor, or from a console terminal command, etc...

lsblk -a
or

lsblk -f
If you are using MS Windows type networking for other computers with MS Windows, or using Samba, then those external shared partitions may have to be in MS Windows file system format like "NTFS", "exFat", etc...

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

skoty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skoty »

yes absolutely and now I'm able to find all shared folders and files from each PC as long as the HDDs are in NTFS thank you .... Is there a way to set it to download to those drives instead of drive that linux (and /home/) is installed on?

I did run into another problem and not sure why, but last night I was able to see my Win10 Shared Folder from the linux box but this morning after I rebooted it and tried to connect I was getting a connection error did some more research and found that caja wasn't installed so why is that I was able to find the folder last night but upon reboot I was unable to.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi skoty,

You are welcome...

I updated my last reply, please re-read that.

That's good you can access all shared folders and files now.

It would help to know more about your system setup like which edition of Linux Mint 19 you are using, Cinnamon, or Mate, or Xfce? If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information. Also, how many computers are being networked, and what operating systems are they using? And, are you using "Samba" on the Linux computer(s)?

skoty wrote:yes absolutely and now I'm able to find all shared folders and files from each PC as long as the HDDs are in NTFS thank you .... Is there a way to set it to download to those drives instead of drive that linux (and /home/) is installed on?
You should be able to download to any "mounted" location, local or networked, but I am not sure if you would have to click a network folder through the file manager first before that would be available for other applications to use or download to which would have to be repeated after rebooting or logging out. I only have one ancient working computer right now, so I cannot test anything network related at this time. I am sure there are ways to automatically mount shared network folders as well at login using "Samba" and or other networking options, but I am not very familiar with that process and or procedures, but there are others in this forum that are. These are very good links below to read and or try.

Install "cifs-utils" for Samba networking to be able to automount Samba shared folders, etc...

sudo apt install samba cifs-utils winbind
* Configure a system to automount a Samba share with /etc/fstab - nixCraft
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/configure ... -etcfstab/

*** How To Automatically Mount Network Shares On Linux
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -on-linux/

* mount - How to edit /etc/fstab properly for network drive? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... work-drive

skoty wrote:I did run into another problem and not sure why, but last night I was able to see my Win10 Shared Folder from the linux box but this morning after I rebooted it and tried to connect I was getting a connection error did some more research and found that caja wasn't installed so why is that I was able to find the folder last night but upon reboot I was unable to.
"Caja" is the file manager for the "Mate" edition of Linux Mint.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Even more confusion.
Why on earth you need a foreign filesystem if you want to share over SAMBA? :?: Just to make everything as difficult and unreliable as possible?

Edit: maybe you do not understand how it works.

A local filesystem like EXT4 <> Linux kernel <> SMBFS <> Remote Windows

As you see Linux kernel is handling both local and remote. Thus, your remote Windows can "see" only SMBFS and it is completely irrelevant for it what filesystem is used locally in your Linux box. I suggest you use a native Linux filesystem, these support UNIX permissions and offer best performance.

skoty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skoty »

2 computers total on the network at this time (along with other wireless devices but eh) ...

System A - Windows 10 (1809 Oct. Update :roll: )
System B - Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon and Yes Samba is installed on the system

System:    Host: HTPC Kernel: 4.15.0-39-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A78L-M LX3 v: Rev X.0x serial: N/A
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 0702 date: 08/24/2012
CPU:       Quad core AMD FX-4100 (-MCP-) 
           arch: Bulldozer rev.2 cache: 8192 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 28932
           clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 1870 MHz 2: 1920 MHz 3: 1907 MHz
           4: 1675 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Curacao PRO [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270/370 OEM]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1360x768@60.02hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-39-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-39-generic
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
           driver: alx port: ec00 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1780.4GB (1.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3802110AS size: 80.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD2000JD size: 200.0GB
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: WDC_WD5000AAKS size: 500.1GB
           ID-4: /dev/sdd model: SAMSUNG_HD103SJ size: 1000.2GB
           Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 73G used: 9.2G (14%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0C mobo: 28.0C gpu: 36.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2596 sys-1: 1132
Info:      Processes: 213 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 1177.5/7959.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56

Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1bcf:0005 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0c45:7603 Microdia 
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi skoty,

I updated my last reply again when you just replied...

I do not see anything wrong with the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" console terminal command, so that is a good thing.

MS Windows computers cannot read or write to Linux filesystems (ext4) without installing special software AFAIK. So, if you have a mixed networking environment of Linux computers, MS Windows computer(s), Mac computers, tablets, smartphones, game consoles, smart TV's and Blu-Ray players, TV sticks, etc... and you are in your Linux computer but want to easily share folders and files with other computers, and devices, having a local NTFS partition on the Linux computer with shared folder(s) is very convenient because you can just save files to that NTFS partition's folders and they become available.

Why are you setting up a network?

If you want to make multi-media files available (videos, music, pictures), or to stream them, to other computers and devices, I recommend installing and using a "media server" application like "UMS", "Kodi (xbmc)", "Plex", etc... and you would not need to setup or use typical networking like Samba...

Hope this helps ...

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

MS Windows computers cannot read or write to Linux filesystems (ext4) without installing special software AFAIK. So, if you have a mixed networking environment of Linux computers, MS Windows computer(s), Mac computers, tablets, smartphones, game consoles, smart TV's and Blu-Ray players, TV sticks, etc... and you are in your Linux computer but want to easily share folders and files with other computers, and devices, having a local NTFS partition on the Linux computer with shared folder(s) is very convenient because you can just save files to that NTFS partition's folders and they become available.
This is utter nonsense! Remote systems cannot interact directly with local filesystems! Looking at this thread I feel like going nuts. Is there just a little knowledge around here?

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi AscLinux,

Do you have anything positive to contribute or are you just complaining?

When I first switched to Linux Mint and I had multiple computers some with MS Windows XP Pro, I could not read the Linux drive partitions with Linux file systems on them (ext4) from the MS Windows computers although the Linux computers could read and write to the MS Windows computers. Are you stating that using newer Samba and or newer versions of MS Windows can now natively read and write to Linux partitions with Linux filesystems like ext4?
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skoty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skoty »

I'm aware of Plex I use it on the windows machine and will be doing so on the linux box also but the network and file share is for non media files that are downloaded

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi skoty,
skoty wrote:I'm aware of Plex I use it on the windows machine and will be doing so on the linux box also but the network and file share is for non media files that are downloaded
Okay, that makes sense. If you want to share all types of files and folders in addition to multi-media files, like documents, various types of downloads, spreadsheets, other data, or use multi-user databases, then setting up a network is appropriate.

FYI: Most media servers can share or stream multimedia folders and files from MS Windows formatted filesystems and Linux formatted file systems to any other computer or device using any operating system that has DLNA/UPnP capabilities.

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

phd21 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:05 pm
Hi AscLinux,

Do you have anything positive to contribute or are you just complaining?
OK, tell me how would you stop some member with 7000+ posts misleading new members?
phd21 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:05 pm
When I first switched to Linux Mint and I had multiple computers some with MS Windows XP Pro, I could not read the Linux drive partitions with Linux file systems on them (ext4) from the MS Windows computers. Are you stating that using newer Samba and or newer versions of MS Windows can now natively read and write to Linux partitions with Linux filesystems like ext4?
New Samba or old Samba. Does not make any difference. Remote systems have never been able to interact with local filesystems. This is not how it works! This has never worked like this! NEVER!

Try to understand. Linux kernel reads and writes local filesystems. Linux kernel serves files to remote systems over SMBFS or NFS or whatnot, too many to list.
Remote systems cannot even "see" what filesytem is used locally, they have no access to it!!!

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi AscLinux,

I am never intentionally misleading anyone in this forum, just trying to help others, unlike your comments that provide no useful information on the topic and no solutions for the user's original post issues.

"skoty" is now able to do what the original post was about and what I suggested seems to have helped this user, have your comments helped this user?

If you trying to make some declaration to make some specific point that you want to make, then start a new post...

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

phd21 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Hi AscLinux,

I am never intentionally misleading anyone in this forum, just trying to help others, unlike your comments that provide no useful information on the topic and no solutions for the user's original post issues.

"skoty" is now able to do what the original post was about and what I suggested seems to have helped this user, have your comments helped this user?

If you trying to make some declaration to make some specific point that you want to make, then start a new post...
So I'm telling skoty to use native EXT4 instead of foreign closed-source NTFS and this is no helping? And you offer incompetent misleading information and you call it helping?
Look back in this thread, which of my posts was off topic?
First, we needed to clarify whether these drives are used by Linux only or there is dual-boot with Windows. Once we knew there is no local Windows, only remote, I started telling to use native Linux filesystem. But you, dear phd21, are apparently in write-only mode and do not read what other members write?

Return to “Newbie Questions”