Timeshift won't use zfs_member - how to change?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
garyc57
Level 1
Level 1

Timeshift won't use zfs_member - how to change?

Post by garyc57 »

Hello,

I installed Linux Mint 19 Tara on an old 2TB hard drive I had, and I'm trying to get Timeshift to run. However, it won't recognize the hard drive because the drive came from a NAS4Free server running ZFS. Timeshift sees the drive type as "zfs_member", and says "Selected device does not have Linux partition".

So my question: how do I reformat? change the partition type? whatever? to get Timeshift to work?

Thanks,
Gary
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Timeshift won't use zfs_member - how to change?

Post by tgwilt »

you might try gparted, a GUI partition tool. i have had the occasional issue with gparted not working, and have downloaded the iso image of Hiren's Boot Disk, which contains gparted. Using Hiren's, I boot the CD, then navigate through the menus to get to gparted, and launch it. For me, it seems to work better this way then trying to run it from the mint installation. You have to be careful and know which disk you want to fix.

Another program is the gnome disk tool, abbreviated as Disks. It has the ability to change the partition type and format it to ext (and all of the itertations), plus a lot of other disk types.

Here is a site that may help https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... e-in-linux

Return to “Newbie Questions”