Transfer from Windows 10

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Transfer from Windows 10

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 am

naggis wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:36 pm
I did come across a bit of a problem - my own fault? I agreed to install LM on a friends HP Pavilion laptop. This machine has a Broadcomm wifi card and LM just doesn't seem to get on with it.
Bit of head scratching and googling to find that Askubuntu has a detailed tutorial on how to sort this tricky problem. So there you have it - maybe there are problems here and there [some of them quite difficult] but there seems to always be someone, somewhere not only able to solve it but also willing to share the experience. Thanks guys.
My advice for those facing laptop broadcom issues is to not waste days trying to fix it, since often they never can, just get a Panda button wifi that works with all Linux, or for longer range an Eco-Winner which also works with all linux distros. Time is precious, especially as one grows older.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

kevin987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevin987 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 am

I bought a used pc 3 years ago. It came with Windows 10. It ran ok but I couldn't figure out how to change the startup music. It was either on or off. So I did a search and ran across Linux Mint 17. I downloaded it and installed it on another partition and it was so easy. Pretty soon I was listening to a song I wanted upon startup. I had tried some Linux back in 2007 (Ububtu was the best one I could find), but there was just too many things I needed that ran only on Windows XP back then. I kept XP for the longest time but in 2015 it was time to upgrade.

The November 2015 Windows upgrade disabled my Linux partition. The master boot record had been completely rewritten. I couldn't figure out how to get both to work with recovery software. I didn't have a Windows 10 dvd and since I was really happy with Linux Mint, I just erased the whole thing and did a fresh install of Mint 17.2

I've never looked back.
Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon)
LMDE 3 (Cinnamon)
GeckoLinux 150 (Cinnamon)

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:34 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 am
My advice for those facing laptop broadcom issues is to not waste days trying to fix it, since often they never can, just get a Panda button wifi that works with all Linux, or for longer range an Eco-Winner which also works with all linux distros. Time is precious, especially as one grows older.
Great tip Spearmint2. I googled the Panda Wireless USB adapter and I will bookmark this tip for future reference to friends and family with laptops who cant get their wifi to work. That Panda adapter has huge attennas though, but maybe they are optional when the wifi signal is strong enough? Those big antennas made me look into the several possibilities of smaller vs bigger wifi adapters and I found the link below helpful for myself:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/us ... 8.html#p11

I couldnt find the "eco-winner" adapter when I googled it, but I did find the "winnereco" adapter on amazon.
Last edited by carum carvi on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:50 pm

I may have gotten the eco + winner name reversed. There is a 300 MBps small USB wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/Panda-300Mbps-Wi ... B00EQT0YK2
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

JSpeed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JSpeed » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:54 pm

I know of one wi-fi adapter that is made for Linux. It costs a little more, but a percent goes to your favorite distro.
Site also has other things that cost a little more.

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... pe-n150usb

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:42 pm

the Panda PAU06 is also supported by the Linux Mint kernels.

https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-P ... +usb+wi-fi

Return to “Newbie Questions”