Newbie's Linux Mint 19 Install Looks Corrupted [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
racket-man
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie's Linux Mint 19 Install Looks Corrupted [SOLVED]

Post by racket-man »

Hello Folks,

I am the typical 'newbie' coming from a Windows environment. Over the years I have heard great things about Linux so I researched it and decided LM19 was good for me, so I took the plunge, and after messing around with getting the right version (for me, it was Cinnamon) and creating an ISO bootable file on USB, I managed to do a successful install. I began doing some setups, installing Chrome, I did some tinkering within the 'Welcome' screen area. Bit by bit, things started going 'south' and now I am encountering all kinds of problems.

I would be happy to do a reinstall and start from scratch but when I reboot my machine it doesn't seem to notice the flash drive in the USB port with the ISO file. When I still had Windows Vista installed I made an effort to set up BIOS so that the boot process was forced to look at the USB port. Now, with some (?) corrupted form of Linux on my machine I don't know where to begin.

By the way, throwing a lot of Linux command line terminology at me probably will not help. I am very excited about Linux and I want this to work, but I am still a 'raw' newbie.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance
Last edited by racket-man on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Newbie's Linux Mint 19 Install Looks Corrupted

Post by Flemur »

racket-man wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:13 pm
I would be happy to do a reinstall and start from scratch but when I reboot my machine it doesn't seem to notice the flash drive in the USB port with the ISO file. When I still had Windows Vista installed I made an effort to set up BIOS so that the boot process was forced to look at the USB port. Now, with some (?) corrupted form of Linux on my machine I don't know where to begin.
It **should** have remained the same - have you tried to select USB to boot from?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

racket-man wrote:
Hello Folks,
I began doing some setups, installing Chrome, I did some tinkering within the 'Welcome' screen area. Bit by bit, things started going 'south' and now I am encountering all kinds of problems.
I would be happy to do a reinstall and start from scratch but when I reboot my machine it doesn't seem to notice the flash drive in the USB port with the ISO file.
Welcome to the forum racketman. I would like to suggest the same logical solution as Flemur already has mentioned. Try entering BIOS at the next reboot and check your reboot options. I have to manually select a reboot from usb EVERY time within the bios when I want to do a new install for LInux. For some reason my pc doesnt store the "boot from usb" option. I dont know why. Maybe this is the case with your BIOS as well. I still have to select "Save settings for usb reboot" in BIOS, but it will only be saved for one reboot. After that I have to manually select "reboot from usb" in BIOS all over again when doing a new usb linux install.

Have you removed the Linux usb after the initial install by the way? That can cause some problems as well...

Chances are quite slim, that your linux usb could be corrupt. Unless your usb stick hardware is defect. That happens more often with cheap usb sticks. I had one recently that just failed on me.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

racket-man wrote:
I began doing some setups, installing Chrome, I did some tinkering within the 'Welcome' screen area. Bit by bit, things started going 'south' and now I am encountering all kinds of problems.
What kind of problems? If you share we might be able to offer solutions.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

racket-man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by racket-man »

Hello Flemur,

Thanks for your advice. I managed to get back into the BIOS settings and set the Boot Order to 'USB Floppy' and that didn't have any effect. I noticed other options: 'USB Hard Drive' and 'USB Diskette on Key'. I decided to move 'USB Hard Drive' to the top of the list and saved it. I then allowed the boot process to continue and this time it went thru and I did a new install. I am performing some of the setups all over again, such as Wireless Connectivity, etc. So far, so good.

Flemur, carum carvi and smurphos,

My problems seemed to start when I began tinkering in the Welcome/First Steps area. System Snapshots seemed like a good idea, so clicked on 'Launch', but I don't recall any response or message indicating some action. It didn't seem like a biggie, so I moved on to Driver Manager/Multimedia Codecs/Update Manager. I can't say for sure if I tried 'Launch' on all of them but I believe I tried 1 or more of them. Somehow I think my problem started with something in 1 of these 4 options listed above.

Now, I'm a little snake-bitten and afraid of trying these -- even though I think they should be useful for me.

Thanks to all of you for your concern about my situation. It's very much appreciated. Any further suggestions or advice you guys may want to throw at me will be very much welcomed. In the meantime I will move ahead with configuring what I have so far, i.e., adding Chrome, adjusting the time setting in the System Tray area, and so on.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Two of you need a new CR2032 coin battery on your motherboard, that's why it's losing your BIOS settings.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:23 am
Two of you need a new CR2032 coin battery on your motherboard, that's why it's losing your BIOS settings.
Thanks for that tip Spearmint. My pc is 10 years old, probably time for a new battery, although I dont dare open my pc.

Racketman, great to read that you succeeded in doing a new install. It all can seem a bit daunting at first, but I guess only in the driver manager menu of the welcome screen you can possibly mess things up if you make a choice that doesnt work for your system.

If you wanna play it safe during the welcome screen after a first install you really only have to use the update manager to install all the new updates and then do a reboot for one time. Then your system is up to date, protected and secure. You can look at the other 3 sections in the welcome screen later....

rbmorse
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rbmorse »

If you haven't opened your case in ten years not only do you need a battery, you need to clean the accumulated dust and debris.
Hope is not a plan

racket-man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by racket-man »

carum carvi, thanks for your reassuring words about what I might focus on. I'll keep that in mind. In fact, now that I think on it, I kind of recall that I may have done a 'Launch' on the Driver Manager and encountered something to do with my graphics card (NVidia?) and made a choice of some kind. I can't say for sure. One thing I know is that I did get a kind of 'fluttering' screen once or twice, and I couldn't seem to get out of it, so I did a hard shutdown (I powered down my laptop using the power button).

Following along with your idea about the Update Manager, now that I do have my 1st install complete, should I now attempt a 1-time update to 'trap' any new stuff that has arrived for LM19? Also, I see that there is an Update Manager icon in the System Tray area. Should I click on this once to accomplish what you are saying? Going forward, should I also make a habit of clicking on Update Manager periodically?

Finally (sorry about being so wordy) the System Snapshots seems important. LM19 'First Steps' suggests I should do 2 system snapshots and 2 boot snapshots daily. What is your take on this? How about 'Timeline'?

I apologize for all these questions. I guess it's kind of the learning curve.

Again, many thanks for your patience!

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

Hi racket-man.

Installing updates is a regular task but not onerous normally. The update manager icon will alert you when updates are available. Do take the time to have an explore through the update managers GUI and also read the help that's available from the menu to understand a little more about updates.

Timeshift snapshots are not essential but are recommended. They provide a way to revert any problematic system changes that might occur because of an update (generally rare but not impossible) or because of user action (not uncommon - us linux users like to tinker with bits of the system we probably shouldn't :) )

However when setting up timeshift it might not be a good idea to accept the default location for the snapshots as they can take up a lot of space in your root filesystem. If you have an external drive that's an ideal location for your snapshots. You probably also don't need to accept the default schedule. I keep 2 monthly, 2 weekly and 2 daily snapshots which is probably overkill as I've never needed to actually use them.

Regarding your graphics driver if the system is displaying OK at the moment leave that for the time being - updating Nvidia drivers can cause issues so spend some time getting to grips with the system first before embarking on that and if unsure seek advice in a new thread before updating anything there.

Avoid hard resets as they can lead to file system corruption - your first linux trick to learn is this one - http://blog.kember.net/articles/reisub- ... x-restart/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Racketman, in the above post Smurphos already gave you excellent advice. I wanna tell you that you did do the same thing as I did when I first started using LinuxMint. Just as you did, I also selected the Nvidea video driver in the welcome screen, because it was advised to do so in that very menu and it scared the bejeebas out of me, because just as you I got a wild flickering display. No worries though. You just did that one thing that could cause some people display problems during the initial install. It has to do with a hardware conflict with some computers. You got out of that situation by reinstalling. Great! Welcome again to LinuxMInt, without video problems this time. So dont change anything in that video driver menu anymore in the welcome screen. The standard setting is perfect for you, even though you will still read that the other Nvidea driver is being advised for you. You can safely ignore that message.

The only important thing you must do now is to start using that update icon in the taskbar, which you had already discovered.
Double click that icon to open the update manager.
Press ok when you see the first update screen message.
Press on "install updated packages" on the top of that update screen.
You will have to put in your password somewhere. Just accept all the updates available and also accept all the additionaly offered software. You will need them all and even if you are not gonna use a lot of them it is impossible for a beginner to start selecting which updates to install or not. Your system will be running smoothly and safe when you simply select all of them, which is the standard setting.

It will take the new updates up to 20 minutes to install them all. But this takes so long only the very first time. After all the new updates are installed you have to reboot one time and then you can be sure your LinuxMint19 is secure and protected and is fully up to date.

Then you could revisit the welcome screen again and see what the other menus are offering you. Smurphos already gave good advice on that, but just come back to the forum to ask for details because some advice in what to do after a first install can be very helpful. Everyone is glad to be of help Racketman!

Below is a link to a webpage from a trusted and experienced forummember Pjotr, which can help you along as well about what to do and what not to do after a new install. It helped me and a lot of other forummembers. You can read at your own leisure and learn some very helpful tips about Linux Mint 19.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first

chandos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chandos »

I run Linux mint on a separate HD. Wanted to upgrade to Mint 19. It has been a complete flop. (I have done installations of Mint 18 before without any issues.) Even though I did everything as usual, when I was finished, the external HD wouldn't boot Mint, AND, after shutting everything else off, not even my WIN10 in the internal HD would boot!
Tried to install without connection to the internet, as suggested on one of the forums...no change.

I've spent HOURS on this and have had to reload by backup for my WIN10 4 times. (Easyustodo backup has saved my buns!!)

It seems that Mint 19.0 is buggy. I give up...I am going to try a stable version of Ubuntu instead,

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

chandos wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:30 pm
I run Linux mint on a separate HD. Wanted to upgrade to Mint 19. It has been a complete flop. (I have done installations of Mint 18 before without any issues.) Even though I did everything as usual, when I was finished, the external HD wouldn't boot Mint, AND, after shutting everything else off, not even my WIN10 in the internal HD would boot!
If your multi-drives install was in UEFI mode, it is a bit more complicated ...
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295 (UEFI Installing - Tips; see Two Drives Install)
[For installing Linux on an external USB hard-drive, a workaround is to unplug the Win 8.x/10 internal hard-drive and install LM on the external USB hard-drive together with its bootloader = plug in the external USB hard-drive only when you want to boot LM.
....... The above workaround may also work for a 2 internal hard-drives desktop setup, ie after installation of LM, boot each OS via the Boot Menu of BIOS Setup by selecting the appropriate internal hard-drive as the 1st boot device]
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=281118

racket-man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by racket-man »

smurphos and carum carvi,

You guys have made some great suggestions and I am going to try to pay close attention to your advice. It's really very pleasing and refreshing to see that people in this forum are generous with their ideas. In the Windows forums it sometimes seems that people 'in the know' might just want to 'pick and choose' what they want to reply to -- as though something might be too far beneath them. Here it seems more of a family spirit.

Again, good job guys, and many thanks!

racket-man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by racket-man »

carum carvi,

I sent a reply earlier expressing my thanks to you and smurphos and anyone else involved in helping me. I would like to mark this post as solved, but after searching all around I can't seem to find instructions for doing so. I have gone thru many screens and I must be missing the obvious. Please feel free to enlighten me.

Sorry for appearing so dumb!

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

racket-man wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 am
I would like to mark this post as solved, but after searching all around I can't seem to find instructions for doing so.
You can edit the posts that you have made; in this case, go to the very first post in the thread and edit that (the button looks like a little pencil). Add [SOLVED] to the title and save. That's all.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

racket-man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by racket-man »

moem,

Many thanks. I will do as you say!

Return to “Newbie Questions”