New installation in old desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: New installation in old desktop

Post by absque fenestris »

With the much maligned Atom 1.6 GHz processor I have a Mint Mate 18.3 running in my netbook and yes - with a 4.15.xxx kernel.
The part runs really well concerning the operating system - just the screen is hopelessly bad and various plastic parts come off the case.
But this is not a problem of the operating system...

Mint Mate 18.3 is worth a try and Linux MX seems to be a real workhorse - at least in the virtual systems on old (Mac) computers it installed itself and runs without any problems...
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

bunsenlab Linux could also be worth a try.
As a live system it runs really well on a 10 year old MacBook.
Only with the installation I'm hopelessly overwhelmed - terminal inputs and so on...
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

it should be noted that what "I think" makes peppermint different from LM xfce is the fact that Peppermint desktop is a "melding" of BOTH XFCE and LMDE, (using the best of both worlds), which results (in my personal opinion), a more responsive desktop than the LM xfce in an older computer system as has been described here...DAMIEN
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:13 pm
pcpunk wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:30 pm I'm a bit surprised at your comment though surely you know way more than I. This card is supported under Ubuntu 18.04 and therefore I would think under Mint but maybe not. Why wouldn't something like Xfce 19.xx work? If not, as you suggested, there are other good options, and I would guess even Lubuntu or Xubuntu would work.
It can work somehow, but I cannot see why to torture anybody with old graphic card and modern browsers for example. My experience is that it causes "system freezes and is slow" messages. :wink:
I see, thanks!
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

It does cost nothing to build a bootable DVD or stick and test the behavior of the system on the computer you likes to install it - before you installs.

If you owns windows you can build the bootable image using rufus. If you owns a installed system you can do itwith usb installer.

If the live system runs smoothly you can install it to use it dayly.

The current version is 19 - 19.1 comes out in the next 14 days.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Well, I am running LM 19 Tara from live DVD and it seems to work. At least the video works OK. I have not tested much but Firefox works OK. It said Nemo crashed and was restarted. Maybe just glitch. Since I have an empty HDD I plan on spending some time installing it there.

Is there some speed and general hardware test I can do? It would be interesting to compare this with my main machine.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Hardinfo maybe?
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

LM19 installed is not quiet the same as LM19 live, apparently. You may better install 18.3 XFCE which is the least demanding current Mint and a LTS. Since you have a spare disk, well go ahead and try it.
The performance will not be what you are used from the HP 8300. But it will work, and if you do not demand too much from the system it'll be ok as a secondary system.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

vansloneker wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 am LM19 installed is not quiet the same as LM19 live, apparently. You may better install 18.3 XFCE which is the least demanding current Mint and a LTS. Since you have a spare disk, well go ahead and try it.
The performance will not be what you are used from the HP 8300. But it will work, and if you do not demand too much from the system it'll be ok as a secondary system.
I forgot to mention I was running LM 19 Cinnamon. I had also downloaded and burnt to DVD LM 19 XFCE but for some strange reason it will not boot. In Windows I can read the DVD without problem but it will not boot. Go figure.

Cinnamon keeps crashing and says it is in "fallback mode". Not a good sign.

I'll keep playing. I think it will take some time to get a feel and detect problems.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

It was suggested by some of the more knowledgeable people here NOT to use Cinnamon? You'll be lucky if you can use Xfce.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Well, I have spent some more time on this. LM 19 Cinnamon live DVD boots fine but Nemo says it crashes and recovers.

Live DVD LM 19 XFCE will not boot in that computer even though it boots in another computer. Could it be related to the BIOS? Should I try a live DVD boot of Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce? Even if it runs slow I am hoping Firefox would play some videos I cannot play with Firefox 52.2.1 ESR, 32 bit, running on Win XP Pro SP3.

I guess I could also try booting from a USB pendrive but I do not have one at hand and I am not familiar with this process.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

On LM19 many legacy drivers have been removed. That is why it is no longer suitable for older systems. Like I posted before, the latest 18, 18.3 will still run on most older systems.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I just find it strange that the same 19 version will boot with Cinnamon and not with XFCE and wonder what the cause may be.

I guess I will give 18.2 XFCE a try.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Of the various Linux distros, Mint is my preferred choice too. I run Mint 17.3 XFCE on a couple of my computers, and have installed 18.3 XFCE on another. For any old(er) machine, Cinnamon is too demanding - XFCE is the better option.

But I also endorse the suggestion made earlier in this thread. Before messing with hardware, video cards and all that, just give MX Linux a try (in a Live session initially). It isn't Mint. But be open-minded: MX Linux is lightweight and works well on older computers with limited processing power and/or video issues. It might just do the job.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Just be aware that if your pc is non-pae, the latest MX Linux won't work. MX suggests MX-16 or antiX for older non-pae machines.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

OK, I am running Live DVD Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia XFCE and it seems to work.

I guess the only way to check for real speed would be to install it on a hard drive.

Any suggestions of tests I can do before I commit to installing on HDD?

Especially some tests to confirm the video adapter will work reasonably well?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Generally, the live session is the way it will work when installed. At least, that's been my experience, never had any major differences. Test what's important to you. I always test videos & movies, If they play well, I'm happy. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”