Screen resultion changes when switching users

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ninjawarrior4760
Level 1
Level 1

Screen resultion changes when switching users

Post by ninjawarrior4760 »

I have Linux Mint 19 installed which is running just fine. I normally run this system as a single user, but I needed to add another user. No problem there. But my issue is when I goto "switch user" when the login screen reappears, the screen resolution changes (it changes to a smaller resolution). I do use the recommended drivers and both appear to be using those drivers when logged in to either user. Why is this happening? If I restart the system and I use either user, the resolution is fine. I just can't use the "switch user" option otherwise the resolution changes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ninjawarrior4760
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Screen resultion changes when switching users

So, nobody has a clue? That`s weird, usually, I get a response.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

When you set the display resolution didn't you also get an option to make that same resolution "system wide"?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
ninjawarrior4760
Level 1
Level 1

Ah, no.

Like I said before, the screen resolution if fine when I first log in. For both of the users. It`s when I try to switch the user, after I`ve already logged in the first time, that the resolution changes. Here is what I am using for graphics:

GPU Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1680x1050@59.95hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2
version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.106 Direct Render: Yes
If there is a way to change the setings system wide, can you please explain that to me?
Thanks....... :D
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Did you open Device Manager and put in the NVIDIA driver?

Here's what I see for my Display settings, using MATE on 17.3, do you not have similar option for "apply system wide"?
DisplayMintMate.png
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
ninjawarrior4760
Level 1
Level 1

In Mint 19 this is what I have:
Display_048.png
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

What does that "set as Primary" do? Maybe you can create an .xprofile file and put in each user's main folder with the resolution wanted for that user. Basically it's an xrandr command and then that user profile defaults to it instead of the system wide resolution.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolu ... _.xprofile

http://ezequielm.com/blog/xrandr-nvidia ... esolution/

Here's what I put in my .xprofile

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=268590&p=1473176&h ... e#p1473176

You have 2 video chips on your setup? If so, then should block the onboard chip in your BIOS if using the NVidia card.
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

Linux is a real multiuser system. Each user has its own screen and its individual settings. It is on you to define the settings for each user!
ninjawarrior4760
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe I am not explaining it enough. When I log in the resolution is set to what I want it to be (1680x1050). Now, say I`m going to shut down the system. Ok, now I start it up again but this time I log in as a different user (one that I`ve already created of course). when that user logs in, the resolution is fine. It is set to what I want it to be (1680x1050). No problem.
But now let`s say I want to switch to another user (but do not shut the system down). And I decide to log out using the logout button in the menu bar. When I do this it takes me back to the login session (or the Plymouth screen). When it goes to that screen, that`s when the resolution changes to 800x400 and I do not know why.

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-I-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA-0 connected primary 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 434mm x 270mm
1680x1050 59.95*+
1280x1024 75.02 60.02
1152x864 75.00
1024x768 75.03 60.00
800x600 75.00 60.32
640x480 75.00 59.94
DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
ninjawarrior4760
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I have a workaround that I feel does the job. First, when a person is logged in, the best way to 'switch users" is to just log out, then log back in as another user. When I do this the resolution stays the same for all users. In Cinnamon when you (or I) want to change users, it`s best to just click on the menu screen, click on the logout button, then in the dialog window, click logout. The system will go to the login screen and just select the user. When I do this the resolution remains the same.
The problem is when you select "switch user" from the dialog window, instead of selecting Logout. I do think there is an issue in the dialog screen, switch user, selection. One other issue I forgot to mention is when I select switch user, then select a different user, Cinnamon crashes.

One can say the resolution issue is kind of solved, but there still is an issue with the switch user selection.

Return to “Beginner Questions”