[SOLVED] - Verifying ISO?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redlined

Re: Verifying ISO?

Post by redlined »

gm10 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:38 pm
LizC wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:50 pm Tried it, the output said successful but the numbers didn't match
My apologies, I must have been asleep typing that, I put the wrong filename, replace ISO_FILENAME with the name of the downloaded iso you want to check:

Code: Select all

certutil -hashfile ISO_FILENAME SHA256
redlined wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:35 pm gm10, I too had issue with that command, getting a simple help response as seen below :?
Sure you do, you're trying to run a command I gave for Windows on Linux. :D
:shock: well no wonder I couldn't get it to work! apt remove libnss3-tools :oops: (until I need to reinstall it for all those cool looking certificate management cmdline functions!:D))
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I have found the easiest way is to use a script file to verify and authenticate - that way I don't have to remember all the steps after 6 months to a year since I did it the last time. Here's a post where I describe how I do it (this is for LM19 CInnamon - you'll need to update for later versions or different desktops). This is, of course, running under Linux, not Windows. I have the script file stored in my ~/bin directory, so I just need to modify the two "wget" lines in the script for the version I want to verify, download the .iso to be verified, and type in the command line to start it. Easy-peasy.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=275956&p=1514627&h ... e#p1514627
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
redlined

Post by redlined »

slipstick wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:31 pm I have found the easiest way is to use a script file to verify and authenticate - that way I don't have to remember all the steps after 6 months to a year since I did it the last time. Here's a post where I describe how I do it (this is for LM19 CInnamon - you'll need to update for later versions or different desktops). This is, of course, running under Linux, not Windows. I have the script file stored in my ~/bin directory, so I just need to modify the two "wget" lines in the script for the version I want to verify, download the .iso to be verified, and type in the command line to start it. Easy-peasy.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=275956&p=1514627&h ... e#p1514627
echo "Be patient, $USER. I am not that good at math"
sometimes terminal telling us what is going is very helpful, as I watched nothing happen (for what seemed an instant shy of eternity!) earlier when using verify instructions from LM guide :lol:
LizC

Post by LizC »

gm10 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:38 pm
LizC wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:50 pm Tried it, the output said successful but the numbers didn't match
My apologies, I must have been asleep typing that, I put the wrong filename, replace ISO_FILENAME with the name of the downloaded iso you want to check:

Code: Select all

certutil -hashfile ISO_FILENAME SHA256
Thank you, it worked! At first I thought it didn't because I was expecting the result to be immediate, but while I was checking to see if I made a spelling error, after a minute or so I went back to the command console, and there it was, a match!

Thanks very much for posting even though I already marked the thread as solved, I'm sure it will be of help to other Windows users, and I learned a little about using command prompt.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

LizC wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 pm Thank you, it worked! At first I thought it didn't because I was expecting the result to be immediate, but while I was checking to see if I made a spelling error, after a minute or so I went back to the command console, and there it was, a match!

Thanks very much for posting even though I already marked the thread as solved, I'm sure it will be of help to other Windows users, and I learned a little about using command prompt.
Yep, it takes a little while to process 2 GB of data. ;)

And you're welcome. I always find it weird that the instructions on the website include nothing for Windows users even though there sure must be a lot of them trying Linux Mint out. Note that you only verified that the file has the correct checksum, not that it was signed correctly by the Linux Mint team. That's a bit more difficult on Windows since you'd first have to install gpg. Easiest to just skip that step unless you want to be extra sure, but it'll be alright.

Note that you did not yet mark the thread as solved. To do so, edit the first post of the thread and add SOLVED to the subject line.
Tony_T

Re: [SOLVED] - Verifying ISO?

Post by Tony_T »

In Windows 10 (if you have it) all you need to do is right click on the Linux ISO file itself and from the menu that appears select sha256 and Windows now calculates the checksum for you ! (First time I've appreciated Windows in a very long time !!)
I just did mine.. so easily

Tony
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Tony_T wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:52 pm In Windows 10 (if you have it) all you need to do is right click on the Linux ISO file itself and from the menu that appears select sha256 and Windows now calculates the checksum for you ! (First time I've appreciated Windows in a very long time !!)
I just did mine.. so easily
Nice. Is that new with 1809? I'm still on 1803 and don't have that option.
Tony_T

Post by Tony_T »

Yes.. that's in 1809

It gives 4 options.. followed by the * sign which if selected gives all of the checksums below

CRC - 32
CRC - 64
SHA - 1
SHA - 256

:D
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Excellent. Besides being a nice addition to Windows Explorer that will make supporting this so much easier. Thanks for sharing.

update: I updated my Win10 to the latest release and I still do not have that option, it may be from an app you installed. So for anyone else, if you have it, then use it, otherwise see the certUtil solution above.
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony_T

Post by Tony_T »

Hmm... that's strange.. because the only work I've done with ISO's on this Windows 10 Pc is just yesterday downloading Mint 19.1 because I'm fed-up with Windows disrupting my work and changing settings and all the other inconveniences that go with it's auto-updating.. So I know I haven't downloaded any tools for working with images as such..

I will take a look later and try to find the source of the SHA menu option and let you know

Tony
Tony_T

Post by Tony_T »

Ok.. after extensive searching I found that the CRC SHA checksum menu is added to your right-click menu by the latest install of 7-ZIP !
A useful addition in my opinion and safe download..

rgds
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ah, that explains it. And agreed, nothing wrong (that I know of) with 7zip.
Tony_T

Post by Tony_T »

Sorry if I caused you to update your Windows 10 unnecessarily.. :|
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Tony_T wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:06 am Sorry if I caused you to update your Windows 10 unnecessarily.. :|
Hahaha, nice. No worries, it was due eventually, anyway. I always defer upgrades by a few months because Microsoft isn't taking their in-house QA obligations seriously anymore, but once the upgrades have matured I eventually apply them. At least now that symlinks and junctions don't get overwritten on upgrade anymore the biggest annoyance to me from these things is gone, and I never had to suffer any of the issues other users ran into, maybe because I always waited it out and let the first adopters be the cannon bug fodder. :twisted:

Return to “Beginner Questions”