[SOLVED] Flash Drive asking wrong user for password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
otlichnik73
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Flash Drive asking wrong user for password

Post by otlichnik73 »

Thank you!
Point taken about the blog; however, I did not tell you the whole story. There are a few tech-minded people amongst the users, so I was creating it for them, not for all the "artists". For the artists, as you suggested, I will create a visual wall poster with flowcharts etc (actual paper poster on the wall)...

One last question - so the advice I give in the "typical scenario" on that blog page - should I leave it there? Or just scrap it? Is it at all useful, you think?

Cheers!
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

otlichnik73 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm Thank you!
Point taken about the blog; however, I did not tell you the whole story. There are a few tech-minded people amongst the users, so I was creating it for them, not for all the "artists". For the artists, as you suggested, I will create a visual wall poster with flowcharts etc (actual paper poster on the wall)...

One last question - so the advice I give in the "typical scenario" on that blog page - should I leave it there? Or just scrap it? Is it at all useful, you think?

Cheers!
I would scrap it. Again, the easiest and fool-proof way for everyone is a summary for a wall poster telling any user to unmount/eject, then remove the drive.

In my opinion, what you have in the scenario has too many steps and if you're going to be setting other users, such as disciple as Standard Users, then they will not have access to Disks utility nor will they be able to use superuser, and in my opinion, they shouldn't be doing that. They shouldn't even be doing anything in Disks.

If User1 didn't remove the flash drive properly, a reboot is all you'd need.
otlichnik73
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Flash Drive asking wrong user for password

Post by otlichnik73 »

Thank you, Jerry, for the comprehensive answer! We can mark this as solved (except I can't figure out how to do that..).
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Return to “Beginner Questions”