(SOLVED) Installing drivers for my printer/scanner??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fouad1995

Re: Installing drivers for my printer/scanner??

Post by fouad1995 »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:59 am
Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:43 am
How to install a Brother DCP7030 printer and scanner in Ubuntu -> http://themorningflight.com/gadgets/how ... in-ubuntu/
Step 1. Paste in the following command and a text document will open. Now this is a bit of the programme that runs your machine so DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING. The command is:

Code: Select all

xed admin:///lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
Step 2. You will see a long list of devices and you are going to add yours. You do this by adding the following two lines to the end of the device list. This is where I went wrong, I pasted them in the wrong place. It didn’t do any harm, but the scanner didn’t work.

The two lines must go after where is says: LABEL=”libsane_usb_rules_begin” and before the line “# The following rule will disable …”

I recommend you stick it after LABEL=”libsane_usb_rules_begin” so you don’t have to go to the bottom of the list.

The two lines to be pasted in are:

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}==”04f9″, ENV{libsane_matched}=”yes”

THEN SAVE THE TEXT DOCUMENT or the changes you have just made will be lost and you will have to do that bit again.

Now reboot the machine and both your printer and scanner should work great.
Last edited by SMG on Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial links poster hid in someone else's quote.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint »

fouad1995 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:08 pm
How to install a Brother DCP7030 printer and scanner in Ubuntu -> http://themorningflight.com/gadgets/how ... in-ubuntu/
Step 1. Paste in the following command and a text document will open. Now this is a bit of the programme that runs your machine so DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING. The command is:

Step 2. You will see a long list of devices and you are going to add yours. You do this by adding the following two lines to the end of the device list. This is where I went wrong, I pasted them in the wrong place. It didn’t do any harm, but the scanner didn’t work.

The two lines must go after where is says: LABEL=”libsane_usb_rules_begin” and before the line “# The following rule will disable …”

I recommend you stick it after LABEL=”libsane_usb_rules_begin” so you don’t have to go to the bottom of the list.

# Brother scanners

THEN SAVE THE TEXT DOCUMENT or the changes you have just made will be lost and you will have to do that bit again.

I haven't tried that yet but I'm gonna give it a try, I just hope it won't break anything since I'm using my laptop for work but I'm gonna back up some important data before doing so. I may have some questions, though. Thanks for sharing. I'll get back to this topic and let you know if that worked. Hopefully, it will.
Last edited by SMG on Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial links from quote.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

fouad1995 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:08 pm

# Brother scanners

So i pasted in the first line and I got a warning that said:
could not find the file admin:///lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.
Last edited by SMG on Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial links from prior quote.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:56 pm So i pasted in the first line and I got a warning that said:
could not find the file admin:///lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.
In Mint 19 the path seems to be /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane1.rules

xed admin:///lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane1.rules
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 pm Yes, I did reboot
hopefully, these pics will help
Hmmm...I see that there are two printers there, just like I have. Mint will try to automatically look for printers. The first one named "Brother_MFC_J5830DW" is the one that Mint constantly finds on my system, which is useless. The other is the one that the Brother driver installed named "MFCJ5830DW"

Delete both printers and try this again:
Run:

cd /home/$USER/Downloads
You'll probably need to redownload the driver installer because it got uzipped previoiusly

gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz

sudo su

bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* DCP-7030
Reboot.
Check to see if there's only one printer that's installed in Printers. If so, make sure it is set as the default by right-clicking and Set as default.
Make sure printer is not in any kind of sleep mode.
Run Simple Scan. Wait a couple of minutes. Open Document, Preferences. See if your printer name is listed in Scanning, Scanner.

Also, I wouldn't recommended trying everyone's suggestions because that might be interfering with what the Brother installation is doing. The old saying "too many cooks spoil the broth".

A question for you:
How long is the USB cable?
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Hey

The usb cable is 1 meter long
Unfortunately, I followed each step but my scanner wasn't recognized.
Well, thank you all for trying to help me but I think that my only choice left is to buy a new scanner.
Any particular model I should buy to make sure that it's working on Mint?

Thanks again
Mike
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I'd hate to see you give up now. Was the printer expensive? I know it's an older model, but some more work, we should be able to get it going.

I had to jump through hoops to get my old Epson XP-640. Unfortunately, it leaked ink inside and was ruined.

Presently, I have the Brother MFC-J5830DW. It works great.

I also checked what the others had suggested:

# Brother scanners

For Mint 19, it is the file /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane1.rules but that wasn't needed when I first tried to install my Brother. In fact, when I put that code in, it didn't help, so I removed the code.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

JerryF wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:19 pm

# Brother scanners

For Mint 19, it is the file /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane1.rules but that wasn't needed when I first tried to install my Brother. In fact, when I put that code in, it didn't help, so I removed the code.
Because Brother MFC-J5830DW is not Brother DCP7030

An example: How to install Brother DCP-7055
https://puolanka.info/goto/how-to-insta ... -dcp-7055/
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

administrollaattori wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:23 pm Because Brother MFC-J5830DW is not Brother DCP7030

An example: How to install Brother DCP-7055
https://puolanka.info/goto/how-to-insta ... -dcp-7055/
Yes, that's true, but that info is from an outside source. I like to advise members to go to the source, in this case Brother website, and follow their instructions on preinstallation and installation.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

So I also tired the advice of administorllaatori
I pasted in xed admin:///lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane1.rules
I did get a list of peripherals and added the two other lines you mentioned and I rebooted
but unfortunately, my scanner wasn't recognized by any of the two main programs, simplescan or xsane
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Ok. Let's try installing from printers and see if the scanner part will get recognized.

Go to Printers, delete any and all DCP-7030 printers.

Make sure printer is on.

Click on + Add

Wait several seconds for Devices to populate. The lower-left spinning circle will stop and disappear.

Here's where I don't know what will show because your printer is connected by USB. I haven't done a USB connected printer, only networkd. Hopefully, the printer will show up.

Select the printer on the left under devices, and on the right under Connection, what choices do you get? Can you post a screenshot?
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Here's the screenshot of the choice I get
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Just as I guessed.

Did you continue to add the printer? If not, add the printer, reboot, and try the scanner.

If this doesn't work, I'm sorry to say that I'm out of ideas. :cry:
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

I'm just grateful for your help. I rebooted but it didn't work so I'm gonna go with my idea of buying another one.
I need to make sure to buy some plug and play scanner without any software to install. I just hope you both didn't waste your time.

Thanks for your help
Mike
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

What are results for the next commands?

scanimage -L
sudo scanimage -L
lsusb
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:34 am I'm just grateful for your help. I rebooted but it didn't work so I'm gonna go with my idea of buying another one.
I need to make sure to buy some plug and play scanner without any software to install. I just hope you both didn't waste your time.

Thanks for your help
Mike
It's never a waste of time for me when trying to help. That's one of the reasons I joined the forum.

Good luck!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: (SOLVED) Installing drivers for my printer/scanner??

Post by cliffcoggin »

Mike.
My experience may or may not be relevant. Perhaps it will prompt some ideas.

I recently bought a new model HP printer/scanner. It was recognised by my computer but only the printing options worked, not the scanning. Much investigation revealed that it required the latest version of HPLIP (HP's drivers for CUPS) which were not in the Mint repository, so I had to get the correct version from HP in order to make the wireless scanning function work. Maybe you need to do the same with yours.
Cliff Coggin
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (SOLVED) Installing drivers for my printer/scanner??

Thanks for trying to help.
I tried that too but no luck either. :o
Anyway, I'll try to find a compatible one

Thanks dude

Return to “Beginner Questions”