(SOLVED) Installing drivers for my printer/scanner??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED) Installing drivers for my printer/scanner??

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint »

I'm using a Brother printer/scanner and so far I have only been able to use the printer and not the scanner on Linux mint
so I looked up the drivers I needed for using my scanner and I came across this page

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... all&os=127

I downloaded Driver Install Tool as well as Scanner driver 64 (deb package) but I haven't been able to install anything. I only get a file containing other sub-files but don't know what to do with it.

I followed the instructions that were given which are :

Login as a superuser. But I don't know how to login as a superuser, any idea?

Install the driver.
Turn on your MFC/DCP and connect the USB cable. It's okay for that part!
Open the terminal and go to the directory where the driver is. I don't know how to do that with the terminal

Install the scanner driver.
Command (for rpm) : rpm -ihv --nodeps (scanner-drivername) These commands don't seem to be working either.
Check if the driver is installed.
Command (for rpm) : rpm -qa | grep -e (scanner-drivername)

any help would be much appreciated.
Mike
Last edited by Mike-Linux-Mint on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Installing drivers for my printer/scanner??

Thanks

Actually, I've also tried to download the driver for the deb package and when I tried to open it I had a message that said "file type Debian package (application/vnd.debian.binary-package) is not supported.

And then I tried the command: sudo dpkg -i --force-all (scanner-drivername)
replacing drivername by Scanner driver 64. I don't know if I need to leave the parenthesis
but I got an error message.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

There are at least two ways to install the .deb file:

Through the GUI:
  1. Open your file manager
  2. Navigate to the folder wherein you saved the downloaded file
  3. Right-Mouse-Click on the .deb file; this will give you a context menu
  4. Select the option that looks, more or less, like "Open with gdebi..."
  5. After a moment, you will be presented with a active "Install" button ... or some such (it's been a while since I've used gdebi.
Of course, somewhere in there you will be asked for a password. If you are the only user on the computer, then you need to enter your password.

The other way is through the terminal:
  1. Open a command terminal
  2. Navigate to the folder wherein you downloaded the .deb file. Assuming you downloaded to your "Downloads" folder the command would be cd ~/Downloads
  3. Get a list of the files in that folder. This aids in the next step because you need to know the exact name of the file and the list will help you here. The command I would use is ls -al.
  4. To do the actual install, the command would be sudo dpkg -i <driver.deb> where "<driver.deb>" is the name of the file you downloaded. This will cause your computer to prompt you for your password - needed for the installation to continue.
  5. There is a chance that one or more dependencies of the <driver.deb> are not already installed on your computer, in which case you will get an error that will include a helpful hint to run sudo apt-get -f install. If you do get a message of that sort, run the indicated command to complete the installation.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks!

I've used the first method and it worked for the installation of the drivers
but there's no interface I can use to scan a document. The only software I have is Printers but it doesn't display any scanner settings or button to scan a document and when I use the button on my printer, it doesn't work either. Any idea?
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:48 am Thanks!

I've used the first method and it worked for the installation of the drivers
but there's no interface I can use to scan a document. The only software I have is Printers but it doesn't display any scanner settings or button to scan a document and when I use the button on my printer, it doesn't work either. Any idea?
Simple Scan should be able to access your scanner/printer after installing the correct driver.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

As noted, SimpleScan should be able to access your scanner. A more full-featured scanner software is xsane (it's in the Software Manager, simple install).
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you.

Unfortunately, I tried both, simplescan and xsane and none were able to run my scanner.
I get a message from the former: Failed to scan. No scanners available. please, connect a scanner.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Never having even touched a Brother MFD, this is about as far as I can help you. I'm sure someone else will come along and help out.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for your help
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

srq2625 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm Never having even touched a Brother MFD, this is about as far as I can help you...
Yeah, I think HP is the most Linux friendly among the printer brands at present. I had to dump my favorite Canon when I started going Linux at home. :(
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:14 pm Unfortunately, I tried both, simplescan and xsane and none were able to run my scanner.
I get a message from the former: Failed to scan. No scanners available. please, connect a scanner.
https://forum.ubuntu-fi.org/index.php?topic=46469.0

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/sane
sudo cp /usr/lib64/sane/* /usr/lib/sane
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I have a Brother MFC-J5830DW. If found that the Brother was the easiest to get running, and I had a Canon and an Epson while using Linux.

There's some preliminary things you MUST do BEFORE installing the drivers. Search for your printer model, select Driver Install Tool, and you should see this:

Then take a look here and notice #2:
Shutter_049.jpg
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Mike-Linux-Mint,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

After installing hardware and software drivers, you should restart your computer, maybe even power off and restart.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

What is the exact make and model of your printer, a brother dcp7030? Use the deb files. The first link in the link below look like an archive file with an installer script file to install all the necessary drivers for the printer and the scanner, but there are also deb files.

Downloads | DCP-7030 | United States | Brother
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... all&os=128

This post has methods for installing the most current scanner software, if you want to try that as well.
Simple scan in mint 19 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=274108&hilit=gscan2pdf

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I found my notes and compared them to your model. You will need to do the following from Terminal:

Before installing drivers:

In Terminal:

sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils

sudo aa-complain cupsd

sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/lpd

sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd

sudo apt-get install csh

sudo apt-get install sane

sudo apt-get install sane-dbg

sudo apt-get install sane-utils

sudo apt-get install psutils
In Firewall:

Go to the Rules section, then click on the + to Add a rule, then click on the Simple tab.

Name = (whatever you want to name it that makes sense to you.) For the Inbound, I named it Printer Inbound.
Policy = Allow
Direction = In
Protocol = UDP
Port = 54925

Name = (whatever you want to name it that makes sense to you.) For the Outbound, Printer Outbound.
Policy = Allow
Direction = Out
Protocol = TCP
Port = 54921

Installation of Drivers:

Download "Driver Install Tool" from http://support.brother.com/g/b/products ... content=dl
The file will be downloaded into your default "Downloads" directory.
Open a terminal window.
Run:

cd Downloads
Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:

gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz
Run:

sudo su

bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* <name_of_printer_model>
The installation of all necessary drivers will happen. There are a couple that will need a Y or N answer. I think all are Y.

When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI?"

For USB Users: Choose N (No)
For Network Users: Choose Y (Yes) and DeviceURI number. Choose the DeviceURI number that has an IP Address.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I tried all the command lines you mentioned but unfortunately I got some errors during the process. I continued anyway but the scanner still doesn't work
I'm going to paste the errors for every line I put in. I also tried the suuggestions of srq2625 and those of administrollaattori but same results.

sudo aa-complain cupsd
sudo: aa-complain: command not found

sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/share/cups/model’: File exists

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/lpd
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/init.d/lpd': File exists

sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/spool/lpd’: File exists

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ia32-libs is already the newest version (2018.06.06).
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libqt4-xml : Depends: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libqtdbus4 : Depends: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
qdbus : Depends: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

sudo apt-get install csh
Building dependency tree
libqt4-xml : Depends: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libqtdbus4 : Depends: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
qdbus : Depends: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

sudo apt-get install sane
Building dependency tree

sudo apt-get install sane-dbg
Building dependency tree
sane-dbg : Depends: sane (= 1.0.14-12build1) but it is not going to be installed

sudo apt-get install sane-utils
Building dependency tree
sane-utils is already the newest version (1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2).

sudo apt-get install psutils
Building dependency tree

linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.1-1.gz
linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.1-1.gz: command not found
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Fix broken packages via Synaptic.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Hey

I tired Synaptic but I don't really know how to fix them
I found the broken packages and when I right click I have "mark for reinstallation" so I did and then I clicked on Apply
but then I got an error that says: E: Internal Error, No file name for libqt4-xml:amd64 (that's the first package only)
and I got the same message for my 3 broken packages

so I tried sudo apt-get --fix-broken install
and this is what I got

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install
Building dependency tree
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
libqtcore4
Suggested packages:
libicu55
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libqtcore4
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 19 not upgraded.
222 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/1 552 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5 084 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 322725 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libqtcore4_4%3a4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libqtcore4:amd64 (4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libqtcore4_4%3a4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite shared '/etc/xdg/Trolltech.conf', which is different from other instances of package libqtcore4:amd64
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libqtcore4_4%3a4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 am Thanks

Actually, I've also tried to download the driver for the deb package and when I tried to open it I had a message that said "file type Debian package (application/vnd.debian.binary-package) is not supported.

And then I tried the command: sudo dpkg -i --force-all (scanner-drivername)
replacing drivername by Scanner driver 64. I don't know if I need to leave the parenthesis
but I got an error message.
Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:55 pm I tired Synaptic but I don't really know how to fix them
I found the broken packages and when I right click I have "mark for reinstallation" so I did and then I clicked on Apply
but then I got an error that says: E: Internal Error, No file name for libqt4-xml:amd64 (that's the first package only)
and I got the same message for my 3 broken packages

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/libqt4-xml:amd64*
sudo dpkg -r --force-depends --force-remove-reinstreq libqt4-xml:amd64
apt update
sudo apt-get -f install
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate

this is what I got

sudo dpkg -r --force-depends --force-remove-reinstreq libqt4-xml:amd64
dpkg: libqt4-xml:amd64: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
libqtdbus4:amd64 depends on libqt4-xml (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1).
qdbus depends on libqt4-xml (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1); however:
Package libqt4-xml:amd64 is to be removed.

(Reading database ... 322721 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libqt4-xml:amd64 (4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) ...

apt update
Hit:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Ign:2 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
Get:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [83,2 kB]
Hit:4 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Get:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88,7 kB]
Hit:6 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release
Ign:7 http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb stable InRelease
Get:8 http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb stable Release [3 829 B]
Get:9 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [74,6 kB]
Get:10 http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb stable Release.gpg [819 B]
Ign:11 http://packages.linuxmint.com tara InRelease
Hit:12 https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable stable InRelease
Hit:13 https://repo.nordvpn.com/deb/nordvpn/debian stable InRelease
Hit:14 http://packages.linuxmint.com tara Release
Get:16 http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb stable/main amd64 Packages [1 463 B]
Get:17 http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb stable/main i386 Packages [1 462 B]
Fetched 254 kB in 2s (150 kB/s)
Building dependency tree
19 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

and finally

sudo apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
libqt4-xml libqtcore4
Suggested packages:
libicu55
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libqt4-xml libqtcore4
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 19 not upgraded.
221 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/1 648 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5 531 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 322722 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libqtcore4_4%3a4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libqtcore4:amd64 (4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libqtcore4_4%3a4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite shared '/etc/xdg/Trolltech.conf', which is different from other instances of package libqtcore4:amd64
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Selecting previously unselected package libqt4-xml:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../libqt4-xml_4%3a4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libqt4-xml:amd64 (4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libqtcore4_4%3a4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Unfortunately, I checked the Synaptic and I still have those 3 broken packages. :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”