Help adding a windows 7 shared printer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yahyaabdul314

Help adding a windows 7 shared printer

Post by yahyaabdul314 »

Hi Guys,

So i am trying to setup my home printer on my new linux mint 19 laptop but can't seem to figure it out. So the printer is a Brother hl-2240 that is connected to a windows 7 computer that is always turned on and connected to the same wifi.
The printer is then listed as shared and so for the other windows 7/10 laptops at home i just hit add shared printer and \\computername\brotherhl2240 and voila.

I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do it on my mint laptop.

Update: I have tried without success to add it using the windows via samba option. I manage to find the printer but then when i attempt to print a test page or anything else i get
Idle-NT_Status_Access_Denied opening remote spool test page

Any help would be great
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithrbau
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Help adding a windows 7 shared printer

Post by keithrbau »

I have just spent many hours connecting my win7 in VBox to my samba server. Seems MS standard firewall blocks transmission between windows and Samba. (Win10 is proving more difficult)

Suggest you disable your Win7 firewall, and test. if this works, find the firewall rule that allows you to print. Sorry, but I am not into windows enough to know where to start that one. But your favourite search engine probably has many suggestions.
Keith Bainbridge from Oz

Mint user for several years. Incourageable player (breaker?)
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Why not just connect your Mint computer wirelessly to the printer and ignore the other computers? That's all I did allowing one Mint computer and two Chromebooks to print happily and independently to the same printer.

Have you opened Printers in your Mint computer and clicked Add Printer? It should, after a minute or so, find the printer and guide you through the process.
Cliff Coggin
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Looking at the specs, I think it has an ethernet port. Connect the printer direct to your router and print through that. That's how I print to my HL4140CN.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”