[SOLVED -partially] WhatsApp desktop app looking for Google Chrome

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vansloneker

[SOLVED -partially] WhatsApp desktop app looking for Google Chrome

Post by vansloneker »

I am on a system where I have installed and used the WhatsApp desktop app as it is available through Software Manager.

As of last night, on starting it does not connect to the phone but I get a message

Code: Select all

WhatsApp works with Google Chrome 36+
To use WhatsApp, update Chrome or use Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge or Opera.
I am not sure what this messages means. Chrome is not installed on this system but Firefox is and I updated that. FF is not my default browser however, Waterfox is. I can use the regular https://web.whatsapp.com in Waterfox but that is not what I want when launching the WhatsApp desktop app.

I tried removing and installing the WhatsApp desktop app but this does not change it. It worked before and I don't understand why it isn't now.

On another system there is still no problem using the WhatsApp desktop app.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vansloneker

Re: WhatsApp desktop app looking for Google Chrome

Post by vansloneker »

I now have this same issue on another system, not a clone from the previous one. This system does have Chrome. I updated Chrome, looked for updates for WhatsApp Desktop -none.

I do get the impression though WhatsApp Desktop is just sort of a browser connecting https://web.whatsapp.com
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

While I was sharing photo's on a 3rd system, WhatsApp desktop began to show garbage. After restarting it, also this one was out. One could think it is a virus...
Anyway, google learns this is bug appearing to many people and systems, and apparently no solution for it.
It seem to be user-agent related what fit's my assumption WhatsApp desktop really is sort of a browser connecting to web-whatsapp.

On the 2nd system I tried copying the installation folder from the then still working 3rd system but this did not help. I would not know if and where WhatsApp desktop stores any data.

The first 2 systems are on a regular HD, so I can have a try at restoring a clone. But I'm afraid it will go the same way.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I reverted one of my systems to a previous clone, installed all updates, then WhatsApp Desktop only to get the same message.

I looked into /opt/whatsapp-desktop and in main.js I found "whatsApp.window.loadURL('https://web.whatsapp.com');". So it is a browser and it loads web.whatsapp.com and the message comes from whatsapp.

I also found references to https://github.com/Enrico204/Whatsapp-Desktop where it reads "I'm abandoning this project".
So the package is no longer maintained or updated.

However, with the current Chrome being Version 71.0.3578.80, Chrome 36+ seems to be a loooong time ago, and Whatsapp Desktop isn't abandoned that long ago. Or it should have outdated already. I don't know, couldn't find a user agent string or what looks like it. But then I am not a script-kid...

Anyway, it is clear Whatsapp Desktop is abandoned, no longer updated or maintained and will sooner or later not do what it is supposed to do so it should be removed from the software repository.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

Use Rambox (free edition) instead. That is working fine.
https://rambox.pro/#ce
philotux

Post by philotux »

vansloneker wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:25 am

To use WhatsApp, update Chrome or use Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge or Opera.
Hi,
I just saw the following in the Spanish forum (viewtopic.php?p=1565074#p1565074):
isanchcr wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am No hay que tocar nada en Chrome, sino en la propia app de Whatsapp desktop. Cuando ejecutamos la aplicación nos lleva al mensaje de error de Chrome. En esa misma ventana vemos la opción VIEW y luego TOGGLE DEVELOPER TOOLS. Se nos divide la pantalla y nos muestra las opciones de desarrollador y ahí tenemos que darle al botón en el que salen 3 puntos (uno debajo del otro). Entre las opciones le damos a MORE TOOLS y luego a NETWORK CONNECTIONS. Abajo si nos fijamos no sale activada la casilla de seleccionar automáticamente. La destildamos y entre las opciones de navegador que nos da elegimos Chrome para Windows. Luego volvemos al menú superior de nuevo y le damos a VIEW y RELOAD y debería funcionar o al menos a mí me funcionó correctamente. He reiniciado el equipo varias veces y se ha solucionado el problema.
Google Translator
You do not have to touch anything in Chrome, but in the WhatsApp desktop app itself. When we run the application it takes us to the error message of Chrome. In that same window we see the option VIEW and then TOGGLE DEVELOPER TOOLS. We split the screen and shows us the developer options and there we have to give the button where they leave 3 points (one below the other). Among the options we give to MORE TOOLS and then to NETWORK CONNECTIONS. Below, if we look, the check box is not activated automatically. The distilled and among the browser options that gives us choose Chrome for Windows. Then we go back to the top menu again and we hit VIEW and RELOAD and it should work or at least it worked for me correctly. I have restarted the computer several times and the problem has been solved.
Hopefully, this will work for you as well.

Cheers
philotux
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

Well, this worked for me but only after I hit "View - Reload" BEFORE closing the "Developer Tools" windows.

Bye, bye Rambox!
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

philotux wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 am
vansloneker wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:25 am

Hi,
I just saw the following in the Spanish forum (viewtopic.php?p=1565074#p1565074):
isanchcr wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am No hay que tocar nada en Chrome, sino en la propia app de Whatsapp desktop. Cuando ejecutamos la aplicación nos lleva al mensaje de error de Chrome. En esa misma ventana vemos la opción VIEW y luego TOGGLE DEVELOPER TOOLS. Se nos divide la pantalla y nos muestra las opciones de desarrollador y ahí tenemos que darle al botón en el que salen 3 puntos (uno debajo del otro). Entre las opciones le damos a MORE TOOLS y luego a NETWORK CONNECTIONS. Abajo si nos fijamos no sale activada la casilla de seleccionar automáticamente. La destildamos y entre las opciones de navegador que nos da elegimos Chrome para Windows. Luego volvemos al menú superior de nuevo y le damos a VIEW y RELOAD y debería funcionar o al menos a mí me funcionó correctamente. He reiniciado el equipo varias veces y se ha solucionado el problema.
Google Translator
You do not have to touch anything in Chrome, but in the WhatsApp desktop app itself. When we run the application it takes us to the error message of Chrome. In that same window we see the option VIEW and then TOGGLE DEVELOPER TOOLS. We split the screen and shows us the developer options and there we have to give the button where they leave 3 points (one below the other). Among the options we give to MORE TOOLS and then to NETWORK CONNECTIONS. Below, if we look, the check box is not activated automatically. The distilled and among the browser options that gives us choose Chrome for Windows. Then we go back to the top menu again and we hit VIEW and RELOAD and it should work or at least it worked for me correctly. I have restarted the computer several times and the problem has been solved.
Hopefully, this will work for you as well.

Cheers
philotux
Right now I am on the 3rd system.
I already had tried to go into Application and clear site data, as was suggested elsewhere, but this didn't help.
I followed your suggestion and set the user agent to Firefox/Windows after Chrome/Windows didn't do anything.
Then I got to the point where the QR code showed up, but the phone wouldn't scan it.
After several tries, restarting phone and restarting WhatsApp Web, the phone scanned the code. So for this moment it is working. If it will keep working remains to be seen, I'll get back about that.
However, thanks very much for bringing up this solution.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I'm at the 1st system this error occurred. Had to clear local and session storage to get it to show the QR code. Not yet tried to connect to the phone.
Diomet

Post by Diomet »

Download in install Whatsie: http://hipnotix.ro/Linux/whatsie_2.1.0-683_amd64.deb

updated the link
Last edited by Diomet on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

Well, after first tasting success with the "Toggle Developer Tools" & "More Tools - Network Conditions" procedure, my WhatsApp Desktop again gave the "Update Chrome" message this morning. I've got it to work again and this is how I did it:
  • Close Whatsapp Desktop
    Make a backup of "~/.config/whatsapp-desktop/preferences"
    Edit "~/.config/whatsapp-desktop/preferences"
    Change all instances of "Chrome/xx.x.xxxx.xxx" to read "Chrome/71.0.3578.98"
    Open WhatsApp Desktop and go through the previously described procedure with "Toggle Developer Tools" & "More Tools - Network Conditions".
Obviously "xx.x.xxxx.xxx" stands for whatever version number is contained within the original "preferences" file.

Worked for me! :D
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I had to do it over also.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

I discovered an alternative to Whatsap-Desktop and Rambox, it seems to work well and is called Whatdesk:

https://gitlab.com/zerkc/whatsdesk/tree/master

The amd64.deb is is contained within "/whatsdesk-master/page/"
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

nielo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:44 am I discovered an alternative to Whatsap-Desktop and Rambox, it seems to work well and is called Whatdesk:

Thanks for this suggestion. I've downloaded it and am going to give it a try.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

nielo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:44 am I discovered an alternative to Whatsap-Desktop and Rambox, it seems to work well and is called Whatdesk:

I like it's also available in 32bit :)
qnixsam

Re: [SOLVED -partially] WhatsApp desktop app looking for Google Chrome

Post by qnixsam »

try to install opera browser i think it will fix the problem, tested on my linux mint 19
derrick1120
Level 3
Level 3

Post by derrick1120 »

This site may be of interest https://www.meetfranz.com/. It's for the Franz messaging App.

I only became aware of it recently, open source ( https://github.com/meetfranz/franz )- and appears to act like a hub for a number of supported messaging apps (inc Whatsapp).

I've not tried it yet, so unable to comment further.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I have used Whatsdesk almost daily but slowly it is getting outdated and error messages start to appear. I do find the whatsdesk.deb hard to find on the https://gitlab.com/zerkc/whatsdesk/tree/master website which is no example of clarity.
I went on to install the last version of whatsdesk via snap. This however does not replace the previous installation. I would like to remove the previous whatsdesk as it was installed from a .deb file but I don't know how. Opening the .deb only gives "same version installed" but no option of removing.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

vansloneker wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:08 am I would like to remove the previous whatsdesk as it was installed from a .deb file but I don't know how. Opening the .deb only gives "same version installed" but no option of removing.
Installed debs should be candidates for removal in Synaptic & Software Manager. They will also be listed as 'foreign' package in Software Sources and can be removed from there. Or from the command line with apt purge or apt remove

If you want to update the Deb version here is the download site - https://zerkc.gitlab.io/whatsdesk/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Thank you smurphos.

Return to “Beginner Questions”