Icon at the bottom right corner of the screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lordbebech

Icon at the bottom right corner of the screen

Post by lordbebech »

Hello, on my system appeared logo in the bottom right corner of the screen that resembles a pin (showed in the attached screen). This icon is appears all the time and is above all the apps - what is annoying because in many interfaces in that corner is sometimes placed a switch/button/information box. It has any function when trying left or righ click on it. Do you have any idea what is it, and how to disable it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Icon in the bottom right corner of the screen

Post by sleeper12 »

What version of Mint are you using? Not sure what that icon is, but the red X there means you aren't getting Mint updates.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Deja vu all over again

Post by GS3 »

I have a vague recollection of a very similar or identical question being asked not too long ago but I have been searching for a while and cannot find anything. Maybe I dreamed it. I faintly remember the icon did nothing when clicked and it was finally determined that it was related to the video adapter driver or something. My memory ain't what it used to be. But then again, it never was.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi lordbebech!

I see you are using what appears to be drop box (systray icon) perhaps this is a drop-file location for dropbox?? I'd look there to see, while I don't use dropbox so I'm guessing that it may have some easy to config settings found by right click on the systray icon and see if there is a floating drop-file sort of setting to enable, disable or move to move convenient location for you!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

GS3 wrote:
I have a vague recollection of a very similar or identical question being asked not too long ago but I have been searching for a while and cannot find anything. Maybe I dreamed it. I faintly remember the icon did nothing when clicked and it was finally determined that it was related to the video adapter driver or something. My memory ain't what it used to be. But then again, it never was.
You're not dreaming, I remember something like this also. I searched also but like you I couldn't find it.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

redlined wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:09 pmperhaps this is a drop-file location for dropbox??
Dropbox rings a bell too.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
redlined

Post by redlined »

GS3 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:50 pm
redlined wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:09 pmperhaps this is a drop-file location for dropbox??
Dropbox rings a bell too.
it just seems so familiar, and searching for blue on white logos, icons, brands, etc has nearly driven me insane after giving permissions to half the pages on the internets just to get them to load (lol/not!:D)- for sure closing my facadebook account soon! :lol:

I think I'll find it though, I've seen it before just cant describe it well enough to bypass 90% of the web search results I'm getting..
gonna need more coffee :shock:
lordbebech

Re: Icon at the bottom right corner of the screen

Post by lordbebech »

I have tested it. Disabled completely dropbox, and this icon still stays. It also seems that it is not dropbox zone because dropping files on to it does nothing.
lordbebech

Post by lordbebech »

Changed also a graphic drivers to the latest...icon still remain.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi lordbebech!

I did rule out dropbox, they are pretty standard in that box icon across the board. I thought it might be desktop background (wallpaper) but a reread of your initial post shows this as wrong ("appears all the time and is above all the apps"). This is perplexing indeed...

Let's get some system info and see what processes are running to rule each out one by one.

Open terminal, then enter in the following (copy and paste) command: inxi -Fxz so we can see what your environment looks like. To get a list of apps running, use the same terminal to type in the command top and once it loads fully then hit Ctrl+c keys to interrupt and get a static result, this will also take you back to terminal ready for other use while keeping that top command end results displayed. then please copy all (by menu> edit> select all> Ctrl+Shift+c or right click to copy) and paste those results into a code block found by clicking the </> icon at the top of your edit reply box.

Thanks for coming back and sticking with this issue, we will get this sorted!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You can verify by creating a new user in Users and Groups from your menu.
Log out and back in as the new user--new users get a fresh set of config files.
If the desktop looks normal for a new user the problem is contained in your /home/username
directory hidden files. (Ctrl+H to view those)
Compare the file contents.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

What hardware are you using? I was reading some Lenovo computers have a similar problem that certain controls like brightness or loudness will put an icon on the desktop when they shouldn't. In this case I think it is OS independent. You can try running another OS or the same from a live dvd.

Return to “Beginner Questions”