Startup Jingle, Xfce event sounds [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Startup Jingle [SOLVED]

Post by chazb »

missmoondog wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:15 pm has always been one of the first things i disabled on windows! have looked into the issue of no sounds like this in linux before but since getting used to no sounds, it makes me glad that i don't hear that stuff!! :).
It was not until I started this quest that I learned Xfce does not support system/event sounds out of the box. The only reason I am using Xfce, is I am using old hardware the LM 18.3 Cinnamon does not work well with 2008 laptops. But some have claimed to get event sounds with Xfce, so I pursue the possibility and in the process I learn something about Linux I didn't know. After all what is the Forum for? The guy over at the Efce Forum was helpful but he wasn't very forthcoming with details.
Last edited by chazb on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Startup Jingle, Xfce event sounds

Post by MrEen »

trytip wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 am @MrEen
does it work for you switching sound themes? especially delete from trash? the only sounds i hear are the button clicks when i hit back up or home in thunar and when i delete i get a confirmation sound. but most of the other sounds don't do nothing.

ps: i get the same sounds with or without adding xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName -n -t string -s Smooth and if i change the theme name to something random like "pewdiepie" i still get the same sounds :lol:

just curious if you get all the sounds?
Well, ummmm... It DID work, somewhat, last time I played with it. Now all I pretty much get is clicks and window-unminimized/maximized, etc. I know for sure that some of the other sounds actually worked last time as I remember thinking "Why would anyone want this?"

No idea what broke it. :x

@chazb: I'm sorry it looks like I've had you doing stuff that isn't going to help much. I can't get a log in sound no matter which theme I use, and most of the working sounds are useless as far as I'm concerned.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

@MrEen
yeah i disabled the event sounds it got very annoying really fast with all the clicks and pops and not really being able to change sound themes. i did create a login sound and i'll keep that but the rest of the sounds are just novelty that might have worked at one time but no longer fully functional. it was funny that i got different sounds when using a GTK application like gedit and then using terminal i got other sounds :lol:

i believe if you don't have a fully functional gnome desktop any altercations like picture in picture or sound themes will not work
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

MrEen wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:00 pm [

@chazb: I'm sorry it looks like I've had you doing stuff that isn't going to help much. I can't get a log in sound no matter which theme I use, and most of the working sounds are useless as far as I'm concerned.
If I get it done, I will come back and tell you how I did it. Currently working with @TOZ over in the Xfce Forum. Plus what ever I do here is never a waste, because I always learn something.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Toz is excellent. If anyone can help get it working, Toz is the one.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

chazb wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:13 am
do you get any sounds at all or is your issue the same as mine where changing themes does nothing the login sound and sound feedback uses different variables, do you have a login sound?
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

trytip wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:02 pm
chazb wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:13 am
do you get any sounds at all or is your issue the same as mine where changing themes does nothing the login sound and sound feedback uses different variables, do you have a login sound?
The only sound I get is a kind of popping noise when I open my email, and that is it, no start up, no shut down. There is a person named ToZ over at the Xfce Forum that thinks he or she might have a solution. What do you mean,,,,changing themes?,,,, like changing xsettings or desktop background or something else?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Code: Select all

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName freedesktop
or
xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName LinuxMint
or
xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName Smooth
on my system if i change themes with these commands i see that the theme name is changed in settings editor but i don't notice any changes in sounds.
do you get sounds when you rightclick in Terminal? what about when click the menu? what about when you click the up/home/back buttons in Thunar?

do you want login/logoff sounds? they both are separate from sound themes and require to add some changes

did you add this to .profile

GTK_MODULES="$GTK_MODULES:canberra-gtk-module"
export GTK_MODULES
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

I am now getting some sounds, mostly Bips, thumps and chirps, But no login or logout yet.
So ya i did add the gtk_mudules I hpe I put them in the right place,,,,,,

# the default umask is set in /etc/profile; for setting the umask
# for ssh logins, install and configure the libpam-umask package.
#umask 022

# if running bash
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
    # include .bashrc if it exists
    if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
	. "$HOME/.bashrc"
    fi
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin directories
PATH="$HOME/bin:$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"
GTK_MODULES="$GTK_MODULES:canberra-gtk-module"
export GTK_MODULES
No back butten noise,
no menu noise.
Right click in terminal yes.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

which sound theme is present in your sounds? ls /usr/share/sounds/Smooth/ are you using the smooth theme Mr. Eden suggested or something else?

the login sound and logout sound is not included in sound feedback. they both need a new file created individually

for login sound create a new file:
.config/autostart/Login Sound.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.9.4
Type=Application
Name=Login Sound
Comment=
Exec=canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

Yes I am using smooth.
And I now have a login sound.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

still can't get a logout sound even by the instruction in the smooth theme, but i'll keep trying. using their instructions conflicts with the login sound and doesn't provide a logout sound. this shouldn't be such a headache for people wanting sounds, but i guess linux is not as evolved as we'd like
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

trytip wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:37 pm still can't get a logout sound even by the instruction in the smooth theme, but i'll keep trying. using their instructions conflicts with the login sound and doesn't provide a logout sound. this shouldn't be such a headache for people wanting sounds, but i guess linux is not as evolved as we'd like
ToZ over in the Xfce Forum says, "The functionality to run something on logout does not exist in Xfce. There are bug reports about this. However, it looks like Mint is doing something else that prevents this from working."
I am happy with what I have. I will read through what I have learned at the Xfce Forum, and write a peice on sounds in Xfce and post it here, so I can close this thread.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you have to reset your pulseaudio -k otherwise if you disable sounds or change themes you still hear the last sound settings. i gave up on this when i tested in arch/xfce which has the latest everything. maybe this worked when xfce was gtk2 based but since GTK3 updates most all the old options that made gtk2 great are gone

BTW these clicks and pops your hear are so very annoying and got old really quick. i started cringing after a few minutes logged in with these effects enabled
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

trytip wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:18 pm BTW these clicks and pops your hear are so very annoying and got old really quick. i started cringing after a few minutes logged in with these effects enabled
+100000

Edit: To be fair, the click and pops could be replaced with dings and chimes similar to what Windows has by replacing the appropriate file with one of the same name with a different sound. And some others could just be deleted.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i would edit the sounds, but i'm busy washing my hair :mrgreen:
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

trytip wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:16 pm i would edit the sounds, but i'm busy washing my hair :mrgreen:
I was going to try it. But thought I'd just breathe instead. :wink:
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

@chazb

I found your topic on the xfce forum, and apologies for me not remembering the GTK_Module fix.

Toz is superb at this stuff. I find many posts on both the xfce forum as well as Ubuntu's by Toz that almost always apply directly to Mint for fixing sound issues. Several months ago I even signed up on Ubuntu's forum so I could search through Toz's posts to learn more about Linux audio and troubleshooting the same.

All that being said, I know when I last played around with system sounds, the Smooth theme actually had some nice sounds that certainly to me don't sound as nice this go around. Maybe I'm missing something simple.

I leave my headphones plugged in all the time, and only wear them when I'm actively listening to something, so system sounds can only interfere in my case, so I usually can't be bothered trying to make it work properly. Maybe some day when I'm really bored I'll make a concerted effort to get everything working properly and sounding decent which will involve finding some better sound files to use and converting/renaming them, but I doubt that'll be anytime in the near future.

Anyhow, glad things are now working for you!
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

The solution to this thread can be found here; https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=12609

As for the Smooth sound I had to log in as root to get the file into usr/share/sounds.
I don't know that I probably could the exist sounds usr/share/sounds, but putting the Smooth file just seemed to be easier.

Return to “Beginner Questions”