Force Menu to use latin keyboard layout on opening

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vadims Citinuks

Force Menu to use latin keyboard layout on opening

Post by Vadims Citinuks »

Hello,

I have Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit, Cinnamon 3.6.7.

I use Latin and Cyrillic layouts on my system when surfing the web or working with documents. The default language of my system is English.
I have two keyboard layouts added to my system: English and Russian. "Allow different layouts for individual windows" and "New windows use the default layout (which is English)" is set.
So basically I want each new window I open to be in English layout without need to switch back to English if I used Russian in a previous window. And actually it works this way.
What is not working - if I have been using Russian layout on the last window, and I open the menu to launch another app, it starts typing in Russian. But all the application names are in English. So I have to manually change the layout back to English. It takes time and is very unproductive.
Is it a way to force layout switch to English when I hit the menu button?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”