<SOLVED>How to shift an application from desktop to 'Menu' 'All App's"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peter
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>How to shift an application from desktop to 'Menu' 'All App's"

Post by Peter »

Hi, I just downloaded a program ( not via terminal or Software manager) but simply downloading the file from a website, and possibly opened it in the wrong place in archive manager....(DUH :( !!??)

My new program is on the desktop......... but I want it to be found in the usual place, by selecting Menu, All Applications.... and scrolling thru everything...

any polite suggestions would be welcome !!

Peter :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to shift an application from desktop to 'Menu' 'All App's"

Post by all41 »

This differs among the Mint desktops.
Please provide the result of the following terminal inquiry:

Code: Select all

inxi -S
Also which program did you download and extract?
Last edited by all41 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Sounds like you downloaded a tarball file, not an actual installer file (.deb). Can you tell us what app, and where you downloaded it? And what exactly do you have on the desktop, the app's folder, or the app's icon to start it up?
Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peter »

Linux Mint 19 Tara , Cinnamon 3.8.9, Kernel 4.15.0-42-generic x86-64, Bits: 64

The Program was 'Iris" for linux ( https://iristech.co/iris-linux/ .... scroll down the page to 'Iris-0.9.9-Linux-64bit.zip'

It all works well (it's on trial before you have to pay)

It's just in the wrong place.....

Tks Peter
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

What do you have on the desktop, the app's folder, or the icon to start it?
Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peter »

I have the start icon on the desktop. I also have the downloaded zip file in 'recent folders'....maybe I can just delete what I have got and install it in the right place with archive manager ? But I am unsure of the steps... as it was a manual download as mentioned earlier....

Tks

Peter
Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peter »

I've restarted the computer and now the program doesn't work, the desktop icon is there, but clicking on it does nothing. I searched for 'Iris' on terminal so that I could clear it out...... it couldn't be found.

The downloaded installation zip file is still there, ready for me to re-install properly!! SO any instructions on how to install from the zip file using archive manager would be welcomed...

Tks

Peter
Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED>How to shift an application from desktop to 'Menu' 'All App's"

Post by Peter »

Thanks to all that replied.... I am cleaning up all traces of the program that I can locate, and will try a re-install.... thanks again, Peter
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Unzip the zip to a location of your choice in your home folder. You'll need to leave the extracted folder in place. Launch the Click-Script.

Then right click the desktop file created in ~/Desktop, click properties and append .sh to the command so it looks like /path/to/Iris-0.9.9-Linux-64bit/Iris.sh

Then copy the desktop file created in ~/Desktop and paste it to ~/.local/share/applications.

It should then be available in your menu under Universal Access.

Then contact the author and point him in the direction of https://appimage.org/ as a suitable packaging method for his software. :roll: :wink:

He really ought to be a bit slicker if he expects people to pay for this stuff.

Before you pay for it check out redshift....it should be preinstalled.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peter »

Hi smurphos.......... that looks really promising. I have contacted the vendor and he pointed out the 'iris.sh' file to me, and if I click on it and select 'run', well it all works so very well.

But if I turn the computer off and restart it, well, then I have to go back and find 'iris.sh', and click on 'run' again........ so I will try what you suggest tomorrow (it's getting late over here) and report back.....

thank you very much

Peter :?
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Peter, have you tried redshift. It should be in the Software Manager.

http://jonls.dk/redshift/
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Peter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peter »

Hi Kevin, I have tried Redshift-gtk, redshift, f.lux, and trying to check out Iris!!

Hi smurphos, in my downloads folder, I currently have the original ZIP file download, and another folder named Iris-0.9.9-Linux-64bit....which contains
'click-script' and 'iris.sh' amongst others.

I selected 'click-script' and my screen dimmed and the iris icon appeared in the lower task bar (iris was turned on at the time I selected click-script)...... but I could find no trace of a file/folder on the desktop to continue the steps that you mentioned.

(Also if I select 'Iris.sh' the same thing happens, Iris turns on and starts working...)

Thanks

Peter
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Peter wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:07 pm I selected 'click-script' and my screen dimmed and the iris icon appeared in the lower task bar (iris was turned on at the time I selected click-script)...... but I could find no trace of a file/folder on the desktop to continue the steps that you mentioned.
Anything in your ~/Desktop folder looking in Nemo? Maybe you have Desktop icons disabled.

I get this...(having right clicked on the launcher to edit the buggy command)

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Beginner Questions”