British spelling

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

British spelling

Post by see3ducks »

Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit.

Ever since I installed this version of Mint, it wants me to spell color colour and favorite favourite, etc, etc. I checked it is indeed set to U.S. English. What's with the British spelling and how do I get the spell checker to recognize the American spellings?

Thanks....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The value of your knowledge is determined by your ability and willingness to share it with others.
vansloneker

Re: British spelling

Post by vansloneker »

Have you tried language settings?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Where are you having the problem? Your browser should have independent spell-check settings. as does libre-office, as does xed. They should all default to your system language though.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by see3ducks »

smurphos wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:10 pm Where are you having the problem? Your browser should have independent spell-check settings. as does libre-office, as does xed. They should all default to your system language though.
This does seem to be through the browser that came with Mint. I tried installing the U.S. English dictionary for Firefox, shut down and restarted Firefox but they still insist I should spell color colour. Just now the first spelling of color showed an error.

Thanks
The value of your knowledge is determined by your ability and willingness to share it with others.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

see3ducks wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm
smurphos wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:10 pm Where are you having the problem? Your browser should have independent spell-check settings. as does libre-office, as does xed. They should all default to your system language though.
This does seem to be through the browser that came with Mint. I tried installing the U.S. English dictionary for Firefox, shut down and restarted Firefox but they still insist I should spell color colour. Just now the first spelling of color showed an error.

Thanks
Works fine here. Check your setting:
ff_spellcheck.png
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"insist I should spell color, colour" Which is correct and proper behavior for a British distribution. How Anglo Saxon would you like me to get, xxxxxxx xxxx ?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

check in your Firefox - Edit - preferences - Language - choose:

what is the default setting ? is there any other Language present ?
& what order are they listed in ? you can actually move them up & down, to suit.

your problem does seem quite odd, as the default setting is for the US-En profile
& it's the RoTW that has to change those settings around.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by see3ducks »

English-US is at the top for languages.
English (en) is the second one.
There are no others
note: Libre Office does not do this.
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by see3ducks »

to the person that said " ... Which is correct and proper behavior for a British distribution ... " I agree but then why does Firefox give a choice of English-US?
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by see3ducks »

gm10 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:54 pm
see3ducks wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks
Works fine here. Check your setting:
ff_spellcheck.png
What version of FF do you have? Mine menu looks different from yours.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That's probably just the theme he is using.

The right place to check Firefox's spellcheck language is right clicking in a text box as gm10 demonstrated in his screenshot. It's not necessarily the same as the display language in the main part of Firefox settings. I've got no problem switching between British English and American English spellcheck using that menu in Firefox.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

see3ducks wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:33 am What version of FF do you have? Mine menu looks different from yours.
FF64, but as smurphos has shown, the menu looks the same in your FF63. Make sure English (US) is selected in that menu when composing a message. The language settings in your preferences are unrelated, they are for displaying web pages, not for spell checking your posts.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

see3ducks wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 am English-US is at the top for languages.
English (en) is the second one.
There are no others
note: Libre Office does not do this.
See the image gm10 posted.
Have you tried Add Dictionaries...
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I had the same problem and could not get the same menu GM had. I then right clicked in the search box at the top of the page and there it was. To me I am typing in a text box to post right now and it doesn't show the menu in here.
I suppose this is one of those moments that "Well I know that don't you"
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:56 am I had the same problem and could not get the same menu GM had. I then right clicked in the search box at the top of the page and there it was. To me I am typing in a text box to post right now and it doesn't show the menu in here.
No idea, I had clicked in the text box. Firefox things I guess. :P
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

gm10 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 am
HaveaMint wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:56 am I had the same problem and could not get the same menu GM had. I then right clicked in the search box at the top of the page and there it was. To me I am typing in a text box to post right now and it doesn't show the menu in here.
No idea, I had clicked in the text box. Firefox things I guess. :P
Screenshot_2018-12-11_06-28-23.png
gm10

Post by gm10 »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:28 am
So you do have the menu. Guess I misunderstood your post? :confused:
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I suspect the problem is more basic than Firefox or Libreoffice. Search for Languages in the menu and see what is set as default language. I use Mint 18.3 and English UK is set as my preference, I would expect Mint 19 to be similar.
Cliff Coggin
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

gm10 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:30 am
Ahhh I see, if you uncheck "check spelling" the language option isn't there. Well slap me stupider.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

gm10 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:30 am
No you understood me, I just didn't know what I was talking about is all lol. Confused yet, stick around I'm certain I will.

Return to “Beginner Questions”