British spelling

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: British spelling

Post by Moem »

cliffcoggin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:33 am I suspect the problem is more basic than Firefox or Libreoffice. Search for Languages in the menu and see what is set as default language. I use
That has no bearing on the spell checker in the browser.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Moem wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:38 am
cliffcoggin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:33 am I suspect the problem is more basic than Firefox or Libreoffice. Search for Languages in the menu and see what is set as default language. I use
See3ducks has not specified that it is only browser behaviour that is affected as far as I can see. Perhaps he should give us more details.
Cliff Coggin
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

cliffcoggin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:51 am
Moem wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:38 am
See3ducks has not specified that it is only browser behaviour that is affected as far as I can see. Perhaps he should give us more details.
In his second post he did mention FF
see3ducks wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm
smurphos wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:10 pm Where are you having the problem? Your browser should have independent spell-check settings. as does libre-office, as does xed. They should all default to your system language though.
This does seem to be through the browser that came with Mint. I tried installing the U.S. English dictionary for Firefox, shut down and restarted Firefox but they still insist I should spell color colour. Just now the first spelling of color showed an error.

Thanks
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

You are not going through a VPN by chance are you? If so heck if you are going through a server in the UK - something similar has happened to be when accessing a server in Germany.
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by see3ducks »

Now I find this? See attachment. English (US) incompatible with v 64.0? Can this be true?
The value of your knowledge is determined by your ability and willingness to share it with others.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Do you even need a language pack extension for US English? I haven't got one and US is still available as a display language as-well as a spellcheck language.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

Divided by a common language.

sorry
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:30 am Do you even need a language pack extension for US English? I haven't got one and US is still available as a display language as-well as a spellcheck language.
No, language packs have nothing to do with spellcheck dictionaries. Language packs are about the UI language, nothing else. You can see the dictionaries category is very separate from that right in his screenshot.

I'm honestly not sure how much of this thread is actually trolling, the concept that your selected dictionary language affects your spell-checker should be more than self-evident...
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

''...trolling...'' Nah, real trolls rip your arm off when they lose. The skills you need to produce a correct result are exactly the skills you need to recognize a correct result.
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by see3ducks »

At this point all is can say is "she's a broke". I don't know what I do need or what I don't need. Someone at Mozilla said something like they had nothing to do with language packs as they were added by ...... I forgot. I think they might have been blaming the repository - dunno. Anyway, this is weird. Oh well, half of my spelling comes out British anyway :-) Do I marked this as [UN-SOLVED] just to get it over? :?
The value of your knowledge is determined by your ability and willingness to share it with others.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

EWE can Spel weRds eny way ewe like! Spell check will underline them, but will let you ignore the suggestions anyway, so where's the problem?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Ben2talk2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ben2talk2 »

gm10 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:54 pm
see3ducks wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm
smurphos wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:10 pm Where are you having the problem? Your browser should have independent spell-check settings. as does libre-office, as does xed. They should all default to your system language though.
This does seem to be through the browser that came with Mint. I tried installing the U.S. English dictionary for Firefox, shut down and restarted Firefox but they still insist I should spell color colour. Just now the first spelling of color showed an error.

Thanks
Works fine here. Check your setting:
ff_spellcheck.png
I'm a little confused here. If you enable spellcheck, then it will give a red wavy underline to words that don't match that dictionary. It doesn't 'insist' or modify and should be interpreted entirely as a mere suggestion made by a dumb machine based on a dumb dictionary. Indeed efforts to improve matters merely confuse users of Merican and US English even more...

Yet you are stating they still insist I should spell color colour which leads me to suggest the main problem here is over-reaction, perhaps an irritating internal mental dialogue which needs taming.

I'm in Thailand, so my keyboard has USD, my pocket and bank has THB, but the date is ALWAYS typed 04-03-2019 - and 2019-03-04 and it's never confusing whether it's 3rd April or 3th March right? I'm curious why you read money like $152 'one hundred fifty two' instead of 'one hundred two fifty' and then mess up your dates so badly... and then get pissed off when the browser correctly starts complaining when you type 'aloominum' and tells you it should be 'aluminium' instead. This issue is generally more irritating for British users, who actually learn spelling in schools and having spelled 'colour' for 40 years find it unnecessary to dumb down the language removing commonly understood RULES like adding 'ed' to a word to turn 'spell' into 'spelled' instead of just writing the sound 'spelt'. This is actually one of my favourite examples where the apparently 'American dumbing down' is in reverse, it's the Americans that used 'spelled' and stoopid British writers using 'spelt' and bringin' in yet another irregular form to be learned by immigrants.

Interestingly in Chromium, I noticed that (unlike Firefox) there's an option to use 'all your languages' for spellchecking. So I have US and UK enabled, and Chromium doesn't underline colour or color. You can also add 'aloominum' to your dictionary so that your browser will no longer upset you so badly.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that's interesting - - with you being in Thailand - - would have thought that you'd be more US centric,,
- than British orientated. :?

anyway - - Do be a Little more cautious about Your Statements - - This is an International Forum - Y'know.
- - you Don't want to tread on too many toes .. .. .
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

see3ducks wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:16 pm Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit.

Ever since I installed this version of Mint, it wants me to spell color colour and favorite favourite, etc, etc. I checked it is indeed set to U.S. English. What's with the British spelling and how do I get the spell checker to recognize the American spellings?

Thanks....

I gave up on that crap 2 years ago.........
there just simply are NOT any dictionaries that are for Redneck Americans to use.
it pisses me off that I have to put up with words spelled wrongly, and even if I add the proper words to the dictionaries, they are NEVER suggested as a proper word.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ben2talk2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:05 am
gm10 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:54 pm Works fine here. Check your setting:
ff_spellcheck.png
Yet you are stating
No, I didn't, please only quote the person you're actually talking to, thx. ;)
jpescola

Post by jpescola »

Captura de tela de 2019-03-27 11-54-06.png
Installing Mint in Portuguese. In Firefox I'm seen the majority web pages in English because the language is not setted automatically as occurs in Libreoffice. Is possible to automatically set this configuration in installation process?
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

jpescola wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:01 am Captura de tela de 2019-03-27 11-54-06.png
Installing Mint in Portuguese. In Firefox I'm seen the majority web pages in English because the language is not setted automatically as occurs in Libreoffice. Is possible to automatically set this configuration in installation process?
It seems to me the locale of your system is set to English rather than Portuguese. This will affect the language the browser may pick.
jpescola

Post by jpescola »

vansloneker wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:39 pm
jpescola wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:01 am Captura de tela de 2019-03-27 11-54-06.png
It seems to me the locale of your system is set to English rather than Portuguese. This will affect the language the browser may pick.
Captura de tela de 2019-03-27 16-10-08.png
Nope! I have choosen Portuguese in installation process.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

All mainstream browsers collect your location data to set various parameters, so maybe there is some conflict going on with all that?

As an aside i just needed to apologise for my fellow countrymen that might come of a bit 'blow hard' in their comments in this thread, we are Brexiting and it is not bringing the best out of us, so sorry for any out of order statements from fellow British folk! :)

Also as an aside i find this thread slightly amusing as for decades i have had to suffer under Windows OS that always seemed to resist my attempts to make them behave better with British English spelling. I am a poor speller, and having to fight my OS that wanted to make me consistently worse was rather taxing. So i completely empathise with the OP in their struggles here (whether it is OS related or Browser related etc) even if for the opposite reasons!

I wish i had had your problems these last decades :D
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

ZakGordon wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:05 am
Also as an aside i find this thread slightly amusing as for decades i have had to suffer under Windows OS that always seemed to resist my attempts to make them behave better with British English spelling. I am a poor speller, and having to fight my OS that wanted to make me consistently worse was rather taxing. So i completely empathise with the OP in their struggles here (whether it is OS related or Browser related etc) even if for the opposite reasons!
Fortunately I can spell very well; unfortunately I can neither type nor see as well as I once did, so I find myself relying more and more on a spell checker.

As a further aside I was pleased to see that deleted files are sent to Rubbish Bin, not Trash, in Linux Mint. I presume that's a result of Canonical being in Britain.
Cliff Coggin

Return to “Beginner Questions”