Setting date format in LM19.1 beta

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

Setting date format in LM19.1 beta

Post by larrypoynor »

I don't understand about the new date format.....I edit it and double click on the format I want to use but it never changes to that format on the panel....Any suggestions? [SOLVED] :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Setting date format in LM19.1 beta

Post by JerryF »

Which 19.1 are you using? Please post the result of this command:

Code: Select all

inxi -S
larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by larrypoynor »

Well, I posted this once.....here it is again

Mint 4.15.0-20 - Generic x86_64
Cinnamon 4.0.3 Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

larrypoynor wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:31 pm Well, I posted this once.....here it is again

Mint 4.15.0-20 - Generic x86_64
Cinnamon 4.0.3 Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Well, I don't see that in this thread, so therefore, that's why I asked.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Are you editing by right-clicking on the date in panel, selecting configure and using custom format?
larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by larrypoynor »

:D Yes...that's exactly right......the problem as I see it....there's no button to save your choice.....so I don't know if it's accepting it or not. And by the way , I have trouble signing in to the forum every visit....it keeps telling me...incorrect pass word but I know it's the right one AND I type in larrypoynor and the site changes it to Larry Poynor....I know I probably sound like a princess
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Does the format change dynamically when you modify the Date format to something like this? %A %m/%d/%Y, %I:%M %p
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
redlined

Post by redlined »

mediclaser wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:36 pm Does the format change dynamically when you modify the Date format to something like this? %A %m/%d/%Y, %I:%M %p
it does change dynamically here. (I'm also now using 19.1 Cinnamon 4)

hi larrypoynor!

If you right-click the time/date space (Calendar) and select configure> Enable "Use custom date format" and modify it there how you prefer to see time/date. I use %A, %e %b %Y %H:%M:%S %z and that is easy to get sorted by clicking that "Show information on date format syntax" button, which will open this page in browser: https://www.foragoodstrftime.com/ you'll need to give the page some temporary permissions if you have locked javascript down (e.g. with NoScript). Scroll down the list to find what you like, click on it and go back up to the top fo page and copy the settings from the Format box. Paste that in the date format box under the enabled Use custom date format button. Hope this helps!

(ps. there is no apply button, Linux knows you know what you are doing so does it immediately for you :mrgreen:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

larrypoynor wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:09 pm :D Yes...that's exactly right......the problem as I see it....there's no button to save your choice.....so I don't know if it's accepting it or not. And by the way , I have trouble signing in to the forum every visit....it keeps telling me...incorrect pass word but I know it's the right one AND I type in larrypoynor and the site changes it to Larry Poynor....I know I probably sound like a princess
As far as I know, there never was a button to save your choice.

Whichever browser you're using may have had some of its settings changed when you went to 19.1 BETA. See if there's something about autocorrect or something along those lines.

Return to “Beginner Questions”