[SOLVED] No Wifi, No Ethernet, In Latest Version of Linux Mint: Cinnamon Edition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
logitwood12
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] No Wifi, No Ethernet, In Latest Version of Linux Mint: Cinnamon Edition

Post by logitwood12 »

Hi can someone please show me how to connect to my wireless router? The brand is Frontier and I can't connect to the internet wirelessly and through ethernet cable because its not letting me. I recently just downloaded and install the latest version of Linux Mint: Cinnamon Edition. I been researching online and how to connect and none of them work for me. PLease help me and reply back.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: No Wifi, No Ethernet, In Latest Version of Linux Mint: Cinnamon Edition

Post by michael louwe »

logitwood12 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:55 am Hi can someone please show me how to connect to my wireless router? The brand is Frontier and I can't connect to the internet wirelessly and through ethernet cable because its not letting me. I recently just downloaded and install the latest version of Linux Mint: Cinnamon Edition. I been researching online and how to connect and none of them work for me. PLease help me and reply back.
https://frontier.com/helpcenter/categor ... i-password

You need to do a inxi -Fxz to check the brand of your computer's Wifi adapter. For Broadcom and Realtek Wifi adapters, you likely need to find and manually install the missing proprietary Wifi drivers, eg ...
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /reserve-7 - Realtek wireless chipset: install the right driver
logitwood12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by logitwood12 »

Where to download Broadcom drivers? This is my network specs:

Code: Select all

Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet
           driver: forcedeth port: 21e0 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
           IF: enp0s10 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
           driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Download download/file.php?id=38994 and copy it to the Mint Desktop, right click on the b43.zip and choose extract here and in terminal do

cd Desktop
sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
sudo cp ~/Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43/
logitwood12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by logitwood12 »

I don't know if it's installed or not. I still can't connect to my router. I did everything you said and this what I got:

ricky@ricky-MacBookPro:~$ cd Desktop
ricky@ricky-MacBookPro:~/Desktop$ sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
[sudo] password for ricky: 
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for ricky: 
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/lib/firmware/b43’: File exists
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

So just do

sudo cp ~/Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43/
Reboot
logitwood12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by logitwood12 »

I did that and rebooted and nothing happens. It's the same thing.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

What is the result for

lsmod | grep cfg
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

logitwood12 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:36 pm I did that and rebooted and nothing happens. It's the same thing.
Some background information about Broadcom Wifi drivers for Linux ....... https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/broadcom_wireless
logitwood12
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] No Wifi, No Ethernet, In Latest Version of Linux Mint: Cinnamon Edition

Post by logitwood12 »

Nevermind, I figured it out. I had to go to Driver Manager to apply the changes for the firmware and reboot. Thanks for trying to help. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”