[SOLVED] Will Restoring with Timeshift affect my new VirtualBox Machines?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
know222

[SOLVED] Will Restoring with Timeshift affect my new VirtualBox Machines?

Post by know222 »

Newbie here using Mint XFCE for about a month now. If I use Timeshift to restore to a snapshot from 3 weeks ago, before I had created and setup my current VirtualBox machines, will it affect my new VirtualBox virtual machines? They are located on my separate /home partition.

And when I go to do the restore I get a "select target device" window with /, /boot, and /home as options. I don't see a way to deselect my home partition from the restore? Should I leave the default setting with all three of those included in the restore?

My goal is to restore my system to the older state and get rid off all new applications and configuration changes installed or made since then - but without it affecting my VirtualBox machines or other downloaded files, etc.

Can I just run the restore with default options without worrying about my new virtual machines and downloaded files?

I did search and didn't find the answers I'm looking for.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Will Restoring with Timeshift affect my new VirtualBox Machines?

Post by gm10 »

If you left Timeshift at its default settings (in particular you didn't remove the exclusion filter for your home directory) then the VMs stored in your home directory won't get touched. If the virtualbox application wasn't installed yet at the time of your snapshot you'll have to reinstall that one, of course.
know222

Post by know222 »

Thanks for the info and fast response. Timeshift came already installed on XFCE 19 and I don't remember changing any settings other than scheduling snapshots.

Looking at my Timeshift settings now, under settings - filters it looks like both my root and home directories are excluded. Nothing is selected under the plus side with root and home under the minus side which I'm assuming is excluded. I would have thought root should have been included? Is this normal?

I also thought about reinstalling XFCE fresh, without it affecting my home partition, I'm unfamiliar with how to do that that too, but it's either restore with Timeshift or reinstall XFCE fresh. I need to learn both methods but I don't want to lose my virtual boxes in the trial and error, and don't have a lot of external space to back things up to at the moment.

Timeshift vs fresh install?
Last edited by know222 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

know222 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:42 am I would have thought root should have been included? Is this normal?
/root is not the same thing as the / root directory. /root is the actual root user's home directory, that's why it's excluded. So you'll be fine.
know222

Post by know222 »

Thank you. Newbie here, I was thinking it was the / root directory. I do remember reading what you are saying, but had forgotten. I am going to go for it I think. If I lost the virtual machines it would be a lot of work to get them back. I have some external drive backups of the individual virtual machines but I want to avoid as much work and as many complications, reactivations, etc, as possible.
know222

Post by know222 »

Worked well. I did reinstall VirtualBox and had to make a few adjustments. Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”