fstab and Windows 10 Pro shares

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Basil Rathbone
Level 1
Level 1

fstab and Windows 10 Pro shares

Post by Basil Rathbone »

Please redirect me if this isn't the correct forum

Both auto-mounting Windows 10 Pro shares via fstab or via mount -a seem to be broken (again).

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (upgraded 12/12/2018) trying to connect to Windows 10 Pro (v1803 Build 17134.407) shares.

What am I doing wrong?

smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = ICMS
client min protocol = SMB3

hosts

192.168.208.12 zoltar
192.168.208.22 msi

fstab

//zoltar/VM$ /home/don/mnt/f cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/usb$ /home/don/mnt/i cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/ExpD0$ /home/don/mnt/j cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/ExpD1$ /home/don/mnt/k cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/drs$ /home/don/mnt/l cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/vol_ii /home/don/mnt/m cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/vol_i /home/don/mnt/n cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/moraff /home/don/mnt/o cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/mpg's /home/don/mnt/s cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/mp3's /home/don/mnt/u cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/Drive-X /home/don/mnt/x cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/Drive-Y /home/don/mnt/y cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//zoltar/Drive-Z /home/don/mnt/z cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0
//msi/work /home/don/mnt/w cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev 0 0

Terminal

don@Cinelerra ~ $ sudo mount -a
[sudo] password for don:
mount error(5): Input/output error
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
mount error(112): Host is down
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: fstab and Windows 10 Pro shares

Post by altair4 »

[global]
workgroup = ICMS
client min protocol = SMB3
You don't want the client min to be SMB3 you want client max to be SMB3:

Code: Select all

client max protocol = SMB3
But none of that has anything to do with CIFS. Even through the samba client and CIFS are both samba CIFS isn't controlled by smb.conf it's controlled by the Linux Kernel. So what version of the Linux kernel are you using?

If it's prior to 4.13 the default smb dialect it uses is SMB1 so if your Win10 machine disabled SMB1 you need to override the default with another parameter: vers=3.0

So for example one of your mounts would look like this:
//zoltar/Drive-X /home/don/mnt/x cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=nobody,iocharset=utf8,noperm,_netdev,vers=3.0 0 0
If your kernel is 4.13 or newer it will do that by default so the problem is something else.

And to be honest I'm not entirely sure about something like this: //Zoltat/mpg's. I'm not sure how or if fstab handles the ' .
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Basil Rathbone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basil Rathbone »

The above configuration worked just fine, including the ' in mpg's, until recently. I don't know whether it was a Windows 10 update or a Linux Mint update that broke it.

Perhaps I'm the only one seeing this problem.
Basil Rathbone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basil Rathbone »

sudo mount -a

Is now working after I rebooted my Windows 10 Pro server but mounting fstab at boot still doesn't work.

I can't imagine why one would work (sudo mount -a) but the other not???
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I can't imagine why one would work (sudo mount -a) but the other not???
Because fstab is being executed before the network stack is operational on your Mint machine.

Here's two options:

[1] Force a mount -a at every boot.

** Create a script at /etc/network/if-up.d/fstab
** With this content:

#!/bin/sh
mount -a
** Make it executable:

sudo chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/fstab
Anything in if-up.d will execute at boot time only if the network is operational.

[2] Don't automount your shares: This depends on how and why you are mounting these shares at boot.

Add 2 more options to your fstab entries: noauto and user.

noauto = tells the system not to mount at boot.
user = allows an ordinary user ( not sudo ) the right to mount the share.

What happens next requires that the mount point be under your home directory or /media:

** A launcher / link will appear on the side panel of your file manager and all of your other applications labeled after the mount point.

** Selecting that link will force the system to look to fstab to see if you are allowed to mount and how that mount is to be done. The whole thing is seamless.

I use [2] on all my systems these days ... but that's me.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”