19.1 workspaces - Where? How? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LostAndDazed

19.1 workspaces - Where? How? [SOLVED]

Post by LostAndDazed »

Hi, new to Mint Cinnamon (day 1-1/2) but not Ubuntu and I have to say, "never going back." :)

I like using workspaces and the only thing I have found so far is a video on v18 which shows a "+" on the right side of the screen to add them. I don't have that.

After the install, I defined the top right corner for showing/switching workspaces, but it just shows all the programs I have open on the desktop. How do I define four workspaces?

Thanks
ETA: "Cinnamon"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frosh

Re: 19.1 workspaces - Where? How?

Post by frosh »

What's your desktop environment? If you're using XFCE you can add a workspace indicator to the panel under right click on panel -> settings -> objects/elements tab and then there is a +) :)
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

frosh wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:14 pm What's your desktop environment?
Ooops, sorry, forgot to mention Desktop, Cinnamon.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

First of all, you can move from workspace to workspace by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-<arrow right/left>. And you can get into Expo mode (a nice overview, where you can also add, remove and rename workspaces and drag windows from one workspace to another) by using Ctrl-Alt-<arrow up>.
Secondly, look at the available applets to add a workspace switcher to your panel.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
LostAndDazed

Re: 19.1 workspaces - Where? How? [solved}

Post by LostAndDazed »

Moem wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:00 pm First of all, you can move from workspace to workspace by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-<arrow right/left>
Ahh, OK, thank you. So the workspaces already exist. I prefer to not have to add extras but the Ctrl_Alt-Up is the display I was expecting from moving the mouse to that top right corner. The Ctl-Alt-Up is not quite as convenient as moving the mouse up to the top right corner. I only have one arm.

Ubuntu has an Icon on the taskbar for displaying all four spaces. But, I will have to get used to the Ctrl-Alt-Up.

Is there a "Solved," button somewhere? For now, I have manually added it to the Title.
Thanks
redlined

Post by redlined »

LostAndDazed wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 pm
Moem wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:00 pm First of all, you can move from workspace to workspace by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-<arrow right/left>
Ahh, OK, thank you. So the workspaces already exist. I prefer to not have to add extras but the Ctrl_Alt-Up is the display I was expecting from moving the mouse to that top right corner. The Ctl-Alt-Up is not quite as convenient as moving the mouse up to the top right corner. I only have one arm.

Ubuntu has an Icon on the taskbar for displaying all four spaces. But, I will have to get used to the Ctrl-Alt-Up.

Is there a "Solved," button somewhere? For now, I have manually added it to the Title.
Thanks
hi LostAndDazed!

I just learned of that Ctrl+Alt+up/left/right trick, very cool! I did want to mention, if your keyboard has them anyway, one handed op may be better served using the right side Ctrl+Alt keys (on my laptop they are very close to the direction keys). You might also consider setting up a system hotkey to function as Ctrl+Alt keys pressed.

Also, I see your mention of Ubuntu has an Icon on the taskbar for displaying all four spaces- this is the same in Mint, see again Moem's suggestion to look at available applets to add workspace switcher to your panel (aka taskbar). Open Menu> Applets> see if workplace switcher is already installed by scrolling the manage tab, if it is there then click the little + (plus) sign at bottom to enable it (you will see a checkmark to the right side when it is enabled). If it is not there then select the download tab (still in applet manager), select it there then hit the down arrow on the right, go back to manage tab and enable as mentioned above. Hope this helps!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

LostAndDazed wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 pm Ubuntu has an Icon on the taskbar for displaying all four spaces. But, I will have to get used to the Ctrl-Alt-Up.
No, you don't, you can have the icon too. See the explanation by Redlined. I hinted at it yesterday but did not have the time to explain in detail.
LostAndDazed wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 pm Is there a "Solved," button somewhere? For now, I have manually added it to the Title.
That is exactly right, thank you for that! In order to mark the whole topic as solved, you do exactly that but on the first post in the topic. You can edit that post by clicking on the pencil icon.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

redlined wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:01 pm then click the little + (plus) sign at bottom to enable
Ahh, OK, thanks. Before asking here I had checked the Applets section and found the Switcher at the bottom with a small padlock. I could not find anything to "unlock" that padlock. I saw the "+" with the Tooltip of "Add" and assumed that meant Add another Applet. But now I see that clicking "+" now has added the functionality on the bottom Taskbar. Thanks.

Devs: Perhaps a Tooltip of "Activate," "Include" or "Add to Taskbar" would be a little more new-user friendly. :)
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

Moem wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:39 am you do exactly that but on the first post in the topic.
Done, thanks. On some Forums, I have often seen a "Mark as Solved," button just below the editing panel. It is only visible to the OP. Is that an option well-buried somewhere in the Setup for phpBB?

Sorry for going a little OT.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

LostAndDazed wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:05 pm On some Forums, I have often seen a "Mark as Solved," button just below the editing panel. It is only visible to the OP.
Yeah, that would be nice to have, but unfortunately we don't have it here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”