Can't get Thunderbird to connect to my Comcast email account

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KrisHolt

Can't get Thunderbird to connect to my Comcast email account

Post by KrisHolt »

I follow Comcast's instructions : https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... hunderbird

I am using Thunderbird version 60.2.1 (64 bit)

And when I enter my email address: holt0062@comcast.net and click the button to Re-Test, I get the following message:
"Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your account."

I can access my mail on my MacBook without error and use their Web-based logon for getting email.

For further information:
kris@kris-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx:~$ uname -a
Linux kris-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx 4.15.0-42-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 15 19:32:57 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

What is amiss here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mokiman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't get Thunderbird to connect to my Comcast email account

Post by mokiman »

I'm having the exact same problem with Thunderbird refusing to connect to Comcast e-mail. I've tried every trick I know and nothing works. It works perfectly fine on my 18.3 machines, though, (same T-bird version) so this is something with 19 and 19.1. What's also strange (and may be a clue but I don't know what it would be) I also get my Yahoo mail (IMAP) with Thunderbird and it works just fine on 19.1. I tried setting up Comcast e-mail as IMAP rather than POP3 but Thunderbird still gives the same error. Until a fix is found I'm stuck at 18.3 MATE. :roll:
mokiman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mokiman »

SOLUTION: install libnss-resolve
sudo apt install libnss-resolve

That fixed it on my installations!
KrisHolt

Post by KrisHolt »

8) 8) I did the "sudo apt install libnss-resolve" command within my terminal window and this did the trick!

Mystery solved!

Thank you so much!
scajjr29
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scajjr29 »

I found in a Google search for the same issue that manually changing the imap server to imap.ge.xfinity.com fixed it for me.

Sam
jfkerekes

Post by jfkerekes »

This worked for me as well.... you would think Comcast would make this info easier to find.
billwillow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by billwillow »

Worked for me too. Thank you Mokiman !!!!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”