Unable to install Linuxmint in dual boot with windows 7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vijayrcbhatt

Unable to install Linuxmint in dual boot with windows 7

Post by vijayrcbhatt »

I am trying to install Linuxmint 19 Cinnamon on Lenovo G580 which has
1) 32 bit windows 7 professional installed at the moment
2) The machine is 64 bit capable and I would like to install 64 bit version of Linuxmint
3) Created a bootable usb drive using rufus
4) Recently, upgraded the laptop to 16 GB ram and 1TB ssd.
5) Have got 2 partitions one having windows around 300GB and the second one is empty on which I intended to install linuxmint
6) In the bios settings I have disabled UEFI after reading few posts on various sites
After I start the laptop I enter into the Isolinux menu. I select Start Linuxmint but unfortunately all i get is a flashing screen with LinuxMint logo and then a continuously repeating log which I have pasted here. I have tried this with UEFI enabled as well but in that case I get an error arount UEFI db list and then the flashing logo.

I am completely new to Linux and would really appreciate if someone could help me understand what I am doing wrong.
Sorry for the spam.

(gvfsd-metadata:731): Gudev-CRITICAL **: 18:08:30.396: g_udev_device_has_property: assertion 'G_UDEV_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed A connection to the bus can't be made In: /root/usr/lib/update-notifier/apt-check: No such file or directory In: /root/usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release: No such file or directory In: /root/usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk: No such file or directory Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/ Identifying... [a2c55f7f208af191b17f03fale35dcld-21 Scanning disc for index files... Found 3 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0 signatures Found label 'Linux Mint 19 _Tara_ - Release amd64 20180717' This disc is called: 'Linux Mint 19 _Tara_ - Release amd64 20180717' Reading Package Indexes... Done Writing new source list Source list entries for this disc are: deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 19 _Tara_ - Release amd64 20180717]/ bionic contrib main non-free Repeat this process for the rest of the CDs in your set. grep: /root/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades: No such file or directory /init: line 7: can't open /dev/sdb: No medium found /init: line 7: can't open /dev/sdb: No medium found dbus-daemon[719]: [session uid=999 pid=719] Activating service name=lorg.gtk.vfs.Daemon' requested by (uid=999 pid=720 comm="" label="u dbus-daemon[719]: [session uid=999 pid=7191 Successfully activated service lorg.gtk.vfs.Daemon' dbus-daemon[719]: [session uid=999 pid=719] Activating service name=lorg.gtk.vfs.Metadatal requested by ':1.0' (uid=999 pid=720 comm="" label fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first dbus-daemon[719]: [session uid=999 pid=719] Successfully activated service 'org.gtk.vfs.Metadatal
(gvfsd-metadata:731): GUdev-CRITICAL **: 18:08:30.396: g_udev_device_has_property: assertion 'G_UDEV_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed (gvfsd-Metadata:781): GUdev-CRITICAL **: 18:08:30.396: g_udev_device_has_property: assertion 'G_UDEV_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed A connection to the bus can't be made In: /root/usr/lib/update-notifier/apt-check: No such file or directory In: /root/usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new,release: No such file or directory In: /root/usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk: No such file or directory Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/ Identifying... [a2c55f7f208af191b17f03fale35dcld-2] Scanning disc for index files... Found 3 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0 signatures Found label 'Linux Mint 19 _Tara_ - Release amd64 20180717' This disc is called: 'Linux Mint 19 _Tara_ - Release amd64 20180717' Reading Package Indexes... Done Writing new source list Source list entries for this disc are: deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 19 _Tara_ - Release amd64 20180717)/ bionic contrib main non-free Repeat this process for the rest of the CDs in your set. /root/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades: No such file or directory
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unable to install Linuxmint in dual boot with windows 7

Post by David1293 »

Hi

Do you get to the automatic boot in... message, or doesn't it get that far?

Regards

D
vijayrcbhatt

Re: Unable to install Linuxmint in dual boot with windows 7

Post by vijayrcbhatt »

Hi,

Thanks for replying.
After I select Start linuxmint, it flashes the logo on my screen and continuously blurts out the text I pasted earlier.
I am not sure if that is part of boot. But I do not get any automatic boot message.

Regards,
Vj

Return to “Beginner Questions”