recovery issue[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
camdy

recovery issue[SOLVED]

Post by camdy »

hey guys,

i'm getting at startup so (while the mint icon load screen) key:continue,S to skip,M for manual recovery

and sometimes i have had the PC turn off while on the desktop.

I'm still using mint 17.3 cinnamon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: recovery issue

Post by WharfRat »

That can happen due to a nonexistent partition entry in /etc/fstab.

Did you make any additions/changes to that file :?:
camdy

Post by camdy »

i did move the hdd on to another pc as i was having issues with that pc and moved it back to this PC.also notice when i plugged in my headphones and a different mouse it froze each time
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

camdy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:01 am i did move the hdd on to another pc as i was having issues with that pc and moved it back to this PC.also notice when i plugged in my headphones and a different mouse it froze each time
Moving the HDD to another computer should not cause that problem unless you are referencing a partition on a second HDD that no longer exists on the alternate computer.

Freezing when plugging in headphones and a different mouse is a whole other problem.

If you are able to boot paste back grep -v ^# /etc/fstab
camdy

Post by camdy »

should say this is from the terminal on the desktop

Code: Select all

UUID=c5391234-70cc-4b0d-bb13-e83f9e8f28d6 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
UUID=b993c4d9-4235-4129-9daf-2dec5774ce1e none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/disk/by-label/Linux\134x20Mint\134x2019\134x20Cinnamon\134x2064-bit /mnt/Linux\134x20Mint\134x2019\134x20Cinnamon\134x2064-bit auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,ro 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ASUS_DRW-2014L1T /mnt/ata-ASUS_DRW-2014L1T auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
as nothing happened from the terminal on the boot screen when i press M for manual recovery.

wondering if it could be a mounting error??
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

These last two lines

Code: Select all

/dev/disk/by-label/Linux\134x20Mint\134x2019\134x20Cinnamon\134x2064-bit /mnt/Linux\134x20Mint\134x2019\134x20Cinnamon\134x2064-bit auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,ro 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ASUS_DRW-2014L1T /mnt/ata-ASUS_DRW-2014L1T auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
are mounting partitions to /mnt so I would comment them out and see if that cures it.
camdy

Post by camdy »

alright so how do i remove those two lines?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

the easiest way to do so is boot a live mint usb open the file manager as root (or administrator) then go to /etc/fstab
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

camdy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:25 am alright so how do i remove those two lines?
gksudo xed /etc/fstab in the terminal will open the file for editing (you can substitue xed with your preferred text editor.)

Wharfrat said to comment them for now, so just put a # at the front of those 2 lines, save the file, then reboot.

EDIT: Dammit! Why isn't this forum telling me there've been posts since I started a reply?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I'm not sure xed was available with mint 17.3 :?

It's probably gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
camdy

Post by camdy »

yup no xed in 17.3 but having said that gedit worked and thank yous for your help :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”