[SOLVED] Is there a way to save all the configuration of Nemo? (not only Nemo)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lalincedeldeserto

[SOLVED] Is there a way to save all the configuration of Nemo? (not only Nemo)

Post by lalincedeldeserto »

Hi guys!! :D :D :D
I would like to know if there is a way to save the configuration of a program, in this case, Nemo.

Referring to the image upon there's a little menu under "My Computer" section. How can I know where is Nemo configuration file? Is there a way to store the actual configuration (in Nemo)?
If I remove all the entries is possible to restore the last configuration used?

Now I know that dconf dump and load commands can do miracles, but I think it's not enough.
I've just discovered that cinnamon panel settings can be saved with dconf dump / > myfile and copying .cinnamon folder in an auxiliary directory eg. cinnamon_bak/
Then to retrive them I use dconf load / < myfile and moving the directory cinnamon_bak to .cinnamon/
Last edited by lalincedeldeserto on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrGrimm

Re: Is there a way to save all the configuration of Nemo?

Post by MrGrimm »

might want to comment here as well.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=283321
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

All configuration are in /home in the directory named as the name of the user, stzarting with the letter '.'

The home of root is /root.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

hcentaur13 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:05 pm All configuration are in /home in the directory named as the name of the user, stzarting with the letter '.'

The home of root is /root.
sorry but have no idea what you are talking about.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lalincedeldeserto wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:34 am Now I know that dconf dump and load commands can do miracles, but I think it's not enough.
Depends on whether you only want nemo-specific stuff or your entire configuration. For nemo-specific files you'll want the ~/.local/share/nemo and ~/.config/nemo folders. But additionally, e.g. the folder bookmarks in nemo are shared data and are stored in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks.

In case of doubt just keep your entire home folder and you can be sure to keep your entire configuration.
Last edited by gm10 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

gm10 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:38 pm
lalincedeldeserto wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:34 am Now I know that dconf dump and load commands can do miracles, but I think it's not enough.
Depends on whether you only want nemo-specific stuff or your entire configuration. For nemo-specific files you'll want ~/.local/share/nemo and ~/.config/nemo. But additionally, e.g. the folder bookmarks in nemo are not shared data and are stored in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks.

In case of doubt just keep your entire home folder and you can be sure to keep your entire configuration.
thank you, that should be a big help. now about the home folder won't it retain any errors that one hasn't been able to get rid of?
lalincedeldeserto

Thank you guys, copying the entire home folder is the safest and coolest way to save all configurations :D :lol: :wink:
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:40 pm thank you, that should be a big help. now about the home folder won't it retain any errors that one hasn't been able to get rid of?
really no one?
lalincedeldeserto

MrGrimm wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 am
MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:40 pm thank you, that should be a big help. now about the home folder won't it retain any errors that one hasn't been able to get rid of?
really no one?
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question :mrgreen:
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

lalincedeldeserto wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:08 am
MrGrimm wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 am
really no one?
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question :mrgreen:
once again if you backup the home folder won't it retain any errors that you have, so when you restore you still have the same problems.

Return to “Beginner Questions”