what is going on with my root password? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
n0body_special
Level 3
Level 3

what is going on with my root password? [SOLVED]

Post by n0body_special »

Been using linux mint since version 6 Felicia. I don't consider myself a newbie anymore. So this is embarrassing.

Just installed mint 19.1 MATE. Typing "su" in terminal asks for my password. When I type it, I get "authentication failure".
No, I'm not making any mistakes. How do I know? I know because my password is extra short and made only of numbers, so no caps lock or language settings.
I also know because if I right click in Nemo in any folder and choose "Open as Administrator" the root password I have created works fine.

What am I missing here? Is "su" command in cli no longer valid? Anyone else with
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Windows is the world's biggest virus.
UEFI is a Microsoft sponsored boot sector hijacker.
Android is the world's biggest spyware.
But most importantly: Google. Is. Skynet
ajgringo619

Re: what is going on with my root password?

Post by ajgringo619 »

Root has been disabled, so there is no password. Remember, sudo asks for your password; su asks for root's password. If you want to enable root, just give it a password: sudo passwd root
n0body_special
Level 3
Level 3

Post by n0body_special »

Ok, thanks for your reply. Problem solved. But just to clear things up, what do you mean "root has been disabled"? When using the "open as administrator" menu, do I not get root access?
Windows is the world's biggest virus.
UEFI is a Microsoft sponsored boot sector hijacker.
Android is the world's biggest spyware.
But most importantly: Google. Is. Skynet
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Yes, but that's via sudo. Most Linux distros default to a disabled root account now; I've been running Mint for a while now and have never used it.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi sajukk!

I'm new to linux, but wanted to mention this thread: Differences between gksudo/kdesudo, sudo, and su which really helped me wrap my head around most of it. Another such command is new, prepend admin:// and I want to say best used with file edits, like xed admin:///somedirectory/somefile more on that can be found on a local forum expert's excellent linux tips project: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ect/sudo-1 it includes the admin:// use as well references xenopeek's thread I also mentioned.
Mute Ant

Re: what is going on with my root password? [SOLVED]

Post by Mute Ant »

"root has been disabled" The default password for the root user in a Mint OS is made impossible to type with command...
sudo passwd -d -l root

man passwd

-d Delete a user's password... Make it empty.

-l Lock the password of the named account.

Users with a locked password are not allowed to change their password.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: what is going on with my root password? [SOLVED]

Post by zcot »

Just to further go into detail:

The root account exists and is functional. However the password has been disabled in the aspect that you can not type the password to it, so you will not be using it directly, and nobody else will be either.

It is done on purpose for reasoning.

How often do we need to do that(go su) unless you are administering 46 user directories, managing web systems and the like, otherwise you're gonna type 1 or 2 or even a few commands(when you could just sudo it instead as designed staying outside of root)? and then, su, you go further, even accidentally you are potentially marking up anything user space or accidentally doing any number of bad things and are an open system, and are an open system.

sudo is set up for the user as the best functional method to achieve the stuff, and keeping root out of the picture.

or even, sure, you can just go full wild west and do as designed even with root password blocked and you can sudo the su command and you get to gunsling.

So, the real best main answer is, if you are going to use su, then you need to sudo up to it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”