[solved) misplaced menu bar

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HEmscher

[solved) misplaced menu bar

Post by HEmscher »

Hello!

After some edits inside my top placed menu bar I found, that the application boxes had vanished. After some tryout I found I had to move the Bar with the icons to the right to see this boxes again.
My first layout was from left to right: Menu -applications-system tray.
Now it looks like this: empty space in the size of the Menu bar-applications-Menu-system tray.
I tried to rearrange this in some way but was not able to place the menu bar back to its now empty space.

This occurred after some installations in the building phase of the system and I can not precisely define, when.

Can someone help me, please?
I'll try to help with information if defined.

System: Mate Mint 18.3 64 besides win2k on a 2 kernel AMD on Asrock MB, 4GB 1066-RAM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HEmscher

Re: misplaced menu bar

Post by HEmscher »

The prob persists. :( :( :(
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

So do you have a "normal" panel at the bottom, and a menu bar at the top ?
If so, delete the menu bar, and recreate.
If you only have the one "menu bar" , then add another, and delete the "bad" one.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
HEmscher

Post by HEmscher »

Thanks. I'll try later. Had a crash and am now rebuilding my system. The ssd with / was not affected by the hardware glitch, (w2k still runs smooth) but the system was unaccesible. Relabeling the partitions with gparted did not mend it, so I decided to install anew. /home was not affected despite being on the nvme, which got loose because the manufacture of the pci-X16-card was so scarce, the thread of the screw broke loose....
By the way: the phenomenon survived the new install. I know, my desktop settings are somewhere in /home, not in /. First I have to restore all the lost applications. :( :?
HEmscher

[solved] misplaced menu bar

Post by HEmscher »

Thanks a lot!

adding a new menu to the desired place and deleting the superfluous one indeed helped!

Return to “Beginner Questions”