Version of Linux that Comes with VLC and WiFi Drivers Pre-Installed?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyfreshuser

Version of Linux that Comes with VLC and WiFi Drivers Pre-Installed?

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Hi everyone.

Is there a version of Linux (any version) that comes with the VLC Media Player program pre-installed and WiFi drivers pre-installed?

I have a computer that I want to put Linux on, but the version that I installed (the latest version of Linux mint) apparently does not come with the VLC Media Player or WiFi drivers.

The WiFi card in this computer is broken. Furthermore, I tried using a WiFi dongle for the Internet, but it didn't work because the computer didn't have the necessary drivers. Also, I can't connect this computer to the Internet with an Ethernet cable so that isn't an option either.

If there's a version of Linux that comes with the VLC Media Player pre-installed and/or with WiFi drivers pre-installed, I would be able to use the computer as I want to use it.

To restate my original question then: Is there a version of Linux (any version) that comes with the VLC Media Player program pre-installed and WiFi drivers pre-installed?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carum carvi

Re: Version of Linux that Comes with VLC and WiFi Drivers Pre-Installed?

Post by carum carvi »

Mintyfreshuser, Vlc and (some) wifi drivers are so called "3rd party" software. It is therefore NOT included on live ISO's for LinuxMint and Ubuntu. But it can be easily selected for download during install. BUT since you dont have an internet connection, that possibility is unfortunately ruled out. I knew of one version of Linux which I thought had got it, called MXLinux.

Most MX users dont even install that OS but run it directly from a usb stick. It has all software and updates included from the start. Below is a short explanation which can also be found on their website: https://mxlinux.org/

One of the better-kept secrets of the MX Linux project is the availability of Monthly Snapshot isos, made possible by the awesome antiX live-USB system and our MX-Snapshot utility. The Monthly Snapshots are created from a live-USB generated from an Official Release iso, and then applying all current updates to date to the live-USB. MX-Snapshot is then used to to create the Monthly Snapshot iso directly from the running live-USB system.

If you have network problems the "Panda wifi usb adapter" is recommended by many Linux users, because it seems to work perfectly on EVERY Linux OS. Costs about 20 dollars. Keep that usb adapter in mind if you get Linux running and you STILL encounter wifi problems. Because wifi problems are unfortunately quite common with Linux in combination with some hardware. Other users can help you better if you copy and paste the output of the following terminal command: inxi -Fxz
Beware that there is a space after inxi. This terminal command will give you a summary of the specs of your pc. More experienced forummembers can see if some hardware is the cause of a conflict with your network.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

A possible workaround is to put the disk in a system that does have a wired network connection or wifi that's picked up by Mint, install Mint, after install VLC and possible the drivers for the first system, move back the disk to where it came from.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mintyfreshuser wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:15 am I tried using a WiFi dongle for the Internet, but it didn't work because the computer didn't have the necessary drivers.
An easy solution would be to get a different dongle, that doesn't need drivers (or works with those already present in Mint). I know that this is possible because I got some on AliExpress that work with Mint out of the box and they are cheap little USB things. They have the Realtek chipset RTL8188.

Not sure why you'd also need VLC preinstalled; after all, once you have WiFi working, surely you could download and install that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

My laptop WiFi is not recognized in the repositories either.

but, I bought a Panda PA-06 dongle and it fired right up out of the box.
on every version of mint that I have tried.
all of the 18.x series, and LMDE3

the version I bought is 2.4g only, I suggest you get the dual band version, as 5g is much faster.
My cellphone has 5g, and it runs circles around my laptop and spits out change back. :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Hi everyone.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.

I believe I found a solution to my problem in the form of Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - Cinnamon (64-bit). I downloaded this file here: https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=106. Then I made a bootable USB flash drive using the program called Rufus. Then I ran the flash drive with this version of Linux Mint 13 on the computer.

I downloaded this version of Linux and it came pre-installed with the ability to play videos apparently since I was able to play videos on the computer without an Internet connection. I believe this version came with the VLC Media Player pre-installed, too (or at least the default Media Player which can play videos).

It seems that at least some previous versions of Linux came with the ability to play videos pre-installed. Why newer versions of Linux Mint would be distributed without this feature seems like a big step backwards to me.

In my opinion, all future versions of Linux Mint should come with the VLC Media Player pre-installed. It should not have to be downloaded separately after installation and since the VLC Media Player is open source software there is really no excuse not to include it pre-installed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Well, as long as you're keeping that machine fully disconnected from the internet forever, that's a solution.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I installed 18.3XFCE the other day and it had a working VLC on board.
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raycoupe »

mintyfreshuser wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:25 am In my opinion, all future versions of Linux Mint should come with the VLC Media Player pre-installed. It should not have to be downloaded separately after installation and since the VLC Media Player is open source software there is really no excuse not to include it pre-installed.
Linux Mint 18 and 19 (I haven't installed/tested other version) DO come with VLC mediaplayer as standard. Not all codecs may be preinstalled, there are many out there and to play some files you need to download extra codecs.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

mintyfreshuser wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:25 am In my opinion, all future versions of Linux Mint should come with the VLC Media Player pre-installed. It should not have to be downloaded separately after installation and since the VLC Media Player is open source software there is really no excuse not to include it pre-installed.
Linux Mint already comes with a media player installed. If you prefer vlc that's your choice, but no reason to pre-install it for everyone. There's nearly sixty-thousand packages in the official repositories, do you want them all to be pre-installed...? (and before you say yes, the rest of us disagree)

That said:
vansloneker wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:43 am I installed 18.3XFCE the other day and it had a working VLC on board.
If you check the option in the installer to install non-free third-party software then that installs the mint-meta-codecs package, which includes vlc, among other things.

PS:
Raycoupe wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:59 am Linux Mint 18 and 19 (I haven't installed/tested other version) DO come with VLC mediaplayer as standard.
No, they don't, they come with xplayer as the default player, vlc is not installed unless you checked the box I mentioned above.
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raycoupe »

I stand corrected, most of my installations I did check that box.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

mintyfreshuser wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:25 am..... since the VLC Media Player is open source software there is really no excuse not to include it pre-installed.
VLC ships a DVD decryption library whose legality is subject to debate in some jurisdictions. The Mint ISOs are also used for OEM installs and having VLC out of the box in a product that is sold could potentially cause that OEM problems.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

mintyfreshuser wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:25 am I believe I found a solution to my problem in the form of Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - Cinnamon (64-bit). I downloaded this file here: https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=106.

I downloaded this version of Linux and it came pre-installed with the ability to play videos apparently since I was able to play videos on the computer without an Internet connection. I believe this version came with the VLC Media Player pre-installed, too (or at least the default Media Player which can play videos).
I didnt even know it was possible to still download these old LinuxMInt OS versions. For a standalone computer WITHOUT internet it wouldnt be a security worry though and if ones computer is old anyway LM 13 would work excellent on it probably. What a great service of LinuxMInt to still offer these ancient OS versions for those few with special needs as in the case of mintyfreshuser. I had LinuxMint 17 installed years ago and that had Vlc Mediaplayer packaged on the ISO as well. But as has been explained excellently by Smurphos, the reason for todays lacking of the excellent Vlc Mediaplayer in the ISO is because of:
smurphos wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:33 am VLC ships a DVD decryption library whose legality is subject to debate in some jurisdictions. The Mint ISOs are also used for OEM installs and having VLC out of the box in a product that is sold could potentially cause that OEM problems.

Return to “Beginner Questions”