What Book can I get to learn the basics of linux/mint? <Solved>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guitronics
Level 1
Level 1

What Book can I get to learn the basics of linux/mint? <Solved>

Post by guitronics »

Hey...I have bought books for Linux in the past,but I need to get a book that will tell me how to do the basic operations in Terminal.Does anybody know of a book? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What Book can I get to learn the basics of linux/mint?

Post by slipstick »

I highly recommend this one. And you can download the pdf for free!

http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb »

Reading is fine, but in my opinion the fastest way to learn practical operation of a Linux desktop is to just do it. At the beginning you will struggle and curse but the internet search engine is your friend. One struggle at a time you learn what you need to learn to have your desktop do what you want it to do. If you are smart each step along the way you will keep notes so that you don't have to relearn it a second time. Believe me you will forget what you did when you haven't needed it for 6 months.

Many years ago I was running a department where people had to know various computer programs to do their jobs. The newbies would come in and pick up a book and start reading. Finally after hours of watching I would ask them to put down the book and start playing with the program. That is the fastest way to learn.

Bill
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

+1 learn by doing
search 'free online linux interactive command line course'
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Dot_mdb wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:11 am Reading is fine, but in my opinion the fastest way to learn practical operation of a Linux desktop is to just do it. At the beginning you will struggle and curse but the internet search engine is your friend. One struggle at a time you learn what you need to learn to have your desktop do what you want it to do. If you are smart each step along the way you will keep notes so that you don't have to relearn it a second time. Believe me you will forget what you did when you haven't needed it for 6 months.

Many years ago I was running a department where people had to know various computer programs to do their jobs. The newbies would come in and pick up a book and start reading. Finally after hours of watching I would ask them to put down the book and start playing with the program. That is the fastest way to learn.

Bill
Quoting from the Introduction of the book I recommended above:
"After you have a working installation, start reading and follow along with your own computer. Most of the material in this book is "hands on", so sit down and get typing!"
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

slipstick wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:38 pm I highly recommend this one. And you can download the pdf for free!

http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
That is a great resource.
Have used Linux about 10 years, I just learned on page 49 what the "?" in a command means.
I fully intent to read it all.
I can see why you would recommend it.
Thanks.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I have been monkeying-around with Linux since 1990, started in dbase way back then...............way before Windows 3.1.
What I did, is I had 2 PCs (1 desktop and 1 laptop) and I used the desktop as a training machine. I crashed it, repaired it, and used it just for that purpose; to be able to fix anything that I did that would totally fubar the OS.
The "School of Hard Knocks" is the best book, in my opinion, because as one poster here says (per se) "On paper it looks good, but in reality, it's a totally different reality".
Yes, user guides are fine, and I have about 20+ downloaded in .pdf format, but in reality, anything goes.
The advanced guys here can help you fix anything.
"Timeshift" is a very important app to use. After upgrading/updating, I always create a "Restore" so I can restore to the previous settings in case the new upgrade/updates totally fubars the OS (or if I do it myself). Timeshift is a "timesaver" in these cases. It has saved my bacon many times from a "fresh" install, again.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

Return to “Beginner Questions”