[SOLVED] Software Sources stuck at "Updating cache" "Waiting for synaptic to exit"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
waffeln

[SOLVED] Software Sources stuck at "Updating cache" "Waiting for synaptic to exit"

Post by waffeln »

Hey LM forum,

because i got an error for broken packages or something while attempting to install Wine for PlayOnLinux i attempted to change my Software Sources in the Synaptic Package Manager to some other servers. But after choosing two new one and pressing OK at the top the process get's stuck at "Updating cache" "Waiting for synaptic to exit".
Selection_001.jpg
The update manager also gives me warnings.
synaptic_002.jpg
At some point the updater also said i shouldn't update because it could break my OS.

What do i need to do to get back on the track of the Jedi?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
philotux

Re: Software Sources stuck at "Updating cache" "Waiting for synaptic to exit"

Post by philotux »

At any given time, you should be using one and only one APT-handling tool. Close Synaptic and/or Software Manager and try running the Update Manager once again. If you get other error messages, please post them back here.
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

philotux wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:38 pm At any given time, you should be using one and only one APT-handling tool. Close Synaptic and/or Software Manager and try running the Update Manager once again. If you get other error messages, please post them back here.
Am i supposed to have only one of those installed..? Because i'm pretty sure both have been on my system since the installation.

Anyway i rebooted my system and only opened the update manager which gives me this error when i hit refresh:
Selection_002.jpg
philotux

Post by philotux »

waffeln wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:48 pm Am i supposed to have only one of those installed..? Because i'm pretty sure both have been on my system since the installation.
No, but only one of them should be running at any given time. You couldn't have Synaptic open and run Update Manager at the same time. But you could have them installed on your system.

For the Wine's public key issue, try this in a terminal (copy/paste):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 818A435C5FCBF54A
Next, run the Update Manager orapt update in a terminal.

Hopefully it will resolve the issue.
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

philotux wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:55 pm
waffeln wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:48 pm Am i supposed to have only one of those installed..? Because i'm pretty sure both have been on my system since the installation.
No, but only one of them should be running at any given time. You couldn't have Synaptic open and run Update Manager at the same time. But you could have them installed on your system.

For the Wine's public key issue, try this in a terminal (copy/paste):

sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 818A435C5FCBF54A
Next, run the Update Manager orapt update in a terminal.

Hopefully it will resolve the issue.
I don't get any error in the Update Manager any more, but despite quitting from it beforehand i still can't change the sources in the Software Sources (stuck at "Waiting for synaptic to exit")
philotux

Post by philotux »

waffeln wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 pm i still can't change the sources in the Software Sources (stuck at "Waiting for synaptic to exit")
Are you sure that Synaptic (Synaptic Package Manager) is not running in the background?
Try:

sudo killall synaptic
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

philotux wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:26 pm
waffeln wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 pm i still can't change the sources in the Software Sources (stuck at "Waiting for synaptic to exit")
Are you sure that Synaptic (Synaptic Package Manager) is not running in the background?
Try:

sudo killall synaptic
Oh my... this is stupid design.
So i used the Synaptic Package Manager to go to Settings -> Repositories and change them from there while the Package Manager became inactive / waiting for me to close the Software Sources. But since that waited for the Package Manager to close, i wasn't able to update my Software Sources.
Either this is bad software design (for beginners) or i'm so stupid that i missed something very obvious, because this wasn't obvious to me...

Anyway thank *you* very much for your help! I got my stuff back on track again and will now continue to find proper instructions to get wine installed on my machine...
philotux

Post by philotux »

You are welcome! I am glad that the issue is resolved.

cheers
philotux
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Just to add in case it's not clear, you can start Software Sources directly from the Mint menu. You can also find it in Update Manager's Edit menu. No need to go through Synaptic, which is definitely not beginner friendly software.
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

gm10 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:45 pm Just to add in case it's not clear, you can start Software Sources directly from the Mint menu. You can also find it in Update Manager's Edit menu. No need to go through Synaptic, which is definitely not beginner friendly software.
Yeah that's how i ended up circumventing this design flaw. You can't just lock up the process / window that a child window requires to terminate for what it wants to do...
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

*sighs*

It's not over yet.

Now i get this error when refreshing inside the Update Manager:

W: Target Packages (Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Translations (en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Translations (en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Translations (de) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-de) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
philotux

Post by philotux »

Launch Software Sources and under "Additional repositories" keep just one of each source and remove the extra ones.
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

I tried doing that, but when i hit OK at the top to confirm it updates the cache and gives me

Failed to download repository information

Check your Internet connection.
even though i'm clearly connected to the internet. Also tried switching to Wireless from Wired with no luck.

EDIT: Even though i carefully selected my official repos by speed and authenticity (universities that i know), one of them must have been down and changing them fixed that issue for me.

My update manager is also happy now, so thank all of you very much!!
evilmrb
Level 1
Level 1

Far from SOLVED- Software Sources stuck at "Updating cache" "Waiting for synaptic to exit"

Post by evilmrb »

I wanted to add my ten penneth to this issue. The problem of being stuck after trying change repos or add a ppa has been around for several major versions of Mint. If you go into Synaptic then Settings and Repositories and change a repo or add a ppa you are then told to update the cache. The system then says that it is 'waiting for Synaptic to exit'. Well, of course it is because you have arrived here from Synaptic. The top window is a modal window so you cannot access the Synaptic window in the background. Your only option is to cancel.

So, the comment about bad design is entirely fair. Furthermore, on my Mint 19.3 MATE system clicking Software Sources on the Adminstration menu does absolutely NOTHING. If you check the Properties for the command it says 'pkexec mintsources'. Typing this into a terminal session DOES work.

The original poster was right to say there is a fault and the fault is still there.
gm10

Re: Far from SOLVED- Software Sources stuck at "Updating cache" "Waiting for synaptic to exit"

Post by gm10 »

evilmrb wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:13 am I wanted to add my ten penneth to this issue. The problem of being stuck after trying change repos or add a ppa has been around for several major versions of Mint. If you go into Synaptic then Settings and Repositories and change a repo or add a ppa you are then told to update the cache. The system then says that it is 'waiting for Synaptic to exit'. Well, of course it is because you have arrived here from Synaptic. The top window is a modal window so you cannot access the Synaptic window in the background. Your only option is to cancel.

So, the comment about bad design is entirely fair. Furthermore, on my Mint 19.3 MATE system clicking Software Sources on the Adminstration menu does absolutely NOTHING. If you check the Properties for the command it says 'pkexec mintsources'. Typing this into a terminal session DOES work.

The original poster was right to say there is a fault and the fault is still there.
Well, if you know there is a problem opening Software Sources through Synaptic then why do you keep doing that? Synaptic takes exclusive control of the package management system, while it is open you cannot have other applications update the cache.

That aside, feel free to use my PPA (see my signature) for my own take on Mint's tools. My tools generally don't exhibit the same issues that Mint's versions have. In this case you'll still get a message that you cannot update the cache while Synaptic is running (working as intended), but you should not see any of the other issues you describe. ;)
evilmrb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Software Sources stuck at "Updating cache" "Waiting for synaptic to exit"

Post by evilmrb »

You do like a bit of hostility, don't you? Maybe I try it for each new release to see if it's been fixed. Maybe I'm getting on a bit and forget things sometimes.

If it's known that adding repos in this way causes the issue, there shouldn't be an option to do it.
gm10

Re: [SOLVED] Software Sources stuck at "Updating cache" "Waiting for synaptic to exit"

Post by gm10 »

Now who's the hostile one? I generously offered you to use my software, which does not have all those issues you complain about, so why are you barking up my tree now? :roll: If you want to complain to the Mint team, then do that - you're in the wrong place for that and I'm the wrong addressee.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Far from SOLVED- Software Sources stuck at "Updating cache" "Waiting for synaptic to exit"

Post by Flemur »

evilmrb wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:13 amYour only option is to cancel.
You can also kill synaptic.

My long-term solution is to not use the mint* software; it's too buggy for stuff that's basically extraneous.

Edit: here are some of the bugs (from Mint 19.3) This software is really bad.

$ mintsources
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR com.linuxmint.mintsources === mintinstall
Software Sources
Authenticating as: <username>,,, (<username>)
Password:
polkit-agent-helper-1: error response to PolicyKit daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: No session for cookie
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.
$

$ mintupdate
/home/<username> : ==== AUTHENTICATING FOR com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic ===
Authentication is required to run the Synaptic Package Manager [sic]
Authenticating as: <username>,,, (<username>)
Password: correct-password
correct-password: command not found
$
[NOTE: ^^^ that also exposes your password on the terminal]

$ mintinstall

MintInstall: Detected system architecture: 'x86_64'
...[try to install "Ttf-mscorefonts-installer"[sic - it's not even the right package name!]

Installer: Calculating changes required for APT package: ttf-mscorefonts-installer
For install: ['python3-distro-info', 'update-manager-core', 'update-notifier-common', 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer', 'python3-distupgrade', 'python3-debconf', 'python3-update-manager', 'ubuntu-release-upgrader-core']
For removal: []
For upgrade: []
Starting task for package apt:ttf-mscorefonts-installer, type 'install'
Done with task (success) apt:ttf-mscorefonts-installer
Installer: Calculating changes required for APT package: ttf-mscorefonts-installer
For install: ['python3-distro-info', 'update-manager-core', 'update-notifier-common', 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer', 'python3-distupgrade', 'python3-debconf', 'python3-update-manager', 'ubuntu-release-upgrader-core']
Starting task for package apt:ttf-mscorefonts-installer, type 'install'
Done with task (success) apt:ttf-mscorefonts-installer

...["Ttf-mscorefonts-installer" never gets installed and I never see a reason why or get any error message in the GUI, just the nonsense output in the terminal - type 'install' ha!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

For anyone who actually prefers using Synaptic (I hate the Software Sources thing about as much as I hate Muon or Discover in KDE), there's another SIMPLE solution.

First - Synaptic was designed with a different set of users in mind. A lot of new people with not much experience have started using Linux over the last ten years.

So:
Synaptic > Settings > Repositories
Choose the repository or repositories you want to change to.
Hit 'Apply'

IGNORE where it says:
Your Configuration changed
Click OK to update your APT cache

Click the CLOSE button in the Title Bar instead

When that dialog disappears:
Click 'Reload' in the Synaptic window.

It all works as designed EXCEPT that pesky OK button to update the APT cache.
If you ignore that, close the window using the close button on the Title Bar and Click Reload you should be fine.
(Cancel next to OK probably works, but I can't remember)
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Beginner Questions”