How does package management compare between LMDE and Mint 19?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
yerbestpal
Level 1
Level 1

How does package management compare between LMDE and Mint 19?

Post by yerbestpal »

This is something I could probably work out by doing my research, but I trust you guys to give an all-round better answer. How does package management compare between LMDE and Mint 19? (ie how does Ubuntu compare to Debian)

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How does package management compare between LMDE and Mint 19?

Post by gm10 »

Ubuntu is based on Debian.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Both use the same package management system apt (deb) so the functionality is basically the same.
ImageImage

Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

Both use the same package management system, however the base packages themselves are different between Debian (thus LMDE) and Ubuntu (thus Mint 19.) Not all .deb packages for Debian will work on Ubuntu and vice-versa.

Running Mint 19, whenever you see installation instruction on websites for Ubuntu users, you can follow those exactly with regular Mint, but not necessarily with LMDE. If you see installation instructions for Debian, it is the other way around, however, Ubuntu is so popular that if the installation is different for Ubuntu and Debian, there will generally be a Ubuntu-specific section.

If you are deciding which to install, go with Mint 19 unless you are reasonably knowledgable about Linux AND you have a good, specific reason to use LMDE.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Also, last I knew, PPAs don't work in Debian, or at least not reliably.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

jimallyn wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:48 pm
Also, last I knew, PPAs don't work in Debian, or at least not reliably.
Exactly, and that isnb't such a bad thing necessarily. You're also going to get older softgware versions in Debian/LMDE geberally. In Linux this is the price of stability.

Return to “Newbie Questions”