Linux Mint 19.1 screensaver selection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rimvydukas

Linux Mint 19.1 screensaver selection

Post by rimvydukas »

Hi,

Upgrade post says:
----
If you are running the Cinnamon edition, you can also remove the XScreensaver hacks. These are no longer supported by the Cinnamon screensaver. To remove them, open a terminal and type:

apt remove --purge xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl xscreensaver-gl-extra cinnamon-screensaver-webkit-plugin cinnamon-screensaver-x-plugin
----

But it seems that when I did this, I'm not able to select screensaver:( Is there any workaround? How can I select screensaver in linux mint 19.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MenthaSuaveolens
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 19.1 screensaver selection

Post by MenthaSuaveolens »

Do you mean that the screensaver-settings have been removed from the general settings menu?
rimvydukas

Post by rimvydukas »

MenthaSuaveolens wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 am Do you mean that the screensaver-settings have been removed from the general settings menu?
I mean that in 19.1 version, when I open screensaver app, there is no "Screensaver" section anymore, only "Settings" and "Customize" sections. I'm starting to doubt that this section disappeared when I removed "screensaver hacks" as per blog post. I think so because I booted up from USB and I can't find how to select my wanted screensaver and on "live" version of linux mint. So maybe something changed in this place? Where can I select screensaver I want? Is it bug? Is this selection moved to different place? You can boot from 19.0 usb and 19.1 usb and compare yourself.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Cinnamon screensaver no longer supports the third-party xscreensaver hacks. If you really miss them with a bit of hackery you can use the full xscreensaver package instead - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=284037
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
rimvydukas

Post by rimvydukas »

Ok, so cinnamon screensaver does not support any third party screen saver hacks anymore. But does it have any native screensavers at all if I want to use native approach and do not want to use any hacks? I was not able to find any ability to select screensaver in 19.1 version of linux mint :(
smurphos wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:00 am Cinnamon screensaver no longer supports the third-party xscreensaver hacks. If you really miss them with a bit of hackery you can use the full xscreensaver package instead - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=284037
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Nope it's never had any other native options other than the default with the album art/media controls/optional message.

You can have a background slideshow for the native screensaver / lockscreen with the help of a little bash script viewtopic.php?f=208&t=290333
Last edited by smurphos on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
rimvydukas

Post by rimvydukas »

Do I understand this right that the default way of cinnamon-screensaver is to show static lock screen with no moving parts in the screen? I'm rather new to mint - what gives these options: album art/media controls.
smurphos wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:18 am Nope it's never had any other native options other than the default with the album art/media controls/optional message.

I did make a script a while back to make a photo-slideshow for the default screensaver. viewtopic.php?p=1507726#p1507726
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

They are options in the Customise tab.

I'd like to hope that the dev team will at least consider making an option for a native photo slideshow in here at some point as it should be relatively trivial to implement. Ignore my message - it gets populated at random by another script..... :roll: :wink:
rimvydukas

Post by rimvydukas »

I'll repeat my question :) Do I understand this right that the default way of cinnamon-screensaver is to show static lock screen with no moving parts in the screen?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Nope, the default is a static image (the same as your desktop background) with a floating/moving clock. If you have music playing you also by default get floating/moving album art.
rimvydukas

Post by rimvydukas »

smurphos wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:32 am Nope, the default is a static image (the same as your desktop background) with a floating/moving clock. If you have music playing you also by default get floating/moving album art.
It is very strange that mint team removed xscreensaver hacks (ability to choose various screensavers) and didn't offered any native alternatives :( As I can understand static page is not very good thing for screensaver. It seems that we can only hope that something will change in near future.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I think the thinking is probably that in this day and age most people tend to blank their monitor for power saving when idle rather than have a screensaver up for hours on end. But I agree a few more options would be nice even it was just a background slide-show.
Eugenia

Post by Eugenia »

I want a matrix screensaver. :(
ClawsPT

Post by ClawsPT »

You just need to reinstall xscreensaver and configure it from the preferences/screensaver mneu
storieTyme

Post by storieTyme »

Did Linux Mint 19.1 as a fresh install (replacing 17.3, which was retained for gfx compatibility) and used this post (viewtopic.php?t=284037) (posting this question there as well) to bring xscreensaver back because I wanted the full screensaver options. Is there any way to use the stock Cinnamon screen locker with it, though? I don't really mind the xscreensaver lock's retro look or type-timer, but a couple of times when coming back from sleep, the machine went all the way back to the desktop and allowed for a moment of interaction with it before bringing the screensaver and password lock back up, which makes me worry about its security.

Even if some people found it redundant, i wish they just left them in for those of us that still prefer to use them. In my case its a style/feng shui thing for my computer area, and protects my external monitor, which is an older HDTV with mild image retention issues.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

storieTyme wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:18 pm Is there any way to use the stock Cinnamon screen locker with it, though? I don't really mind the xscreensaver lock's retro look or type-timer, but a couple of times when coming back from sleep, the machine went all the way back to the desktop and allowed for a moment of interaction with it before bringing the screensaver and password lock back up
That kind of issue suffered by some users with the xscreensaver hand over to the lock screen was part of the reason they removed the plugin functionality as there were always occasional reports of this in 18.x.
storieTyme

Post by storieTyme »

Ahhh, got it. Thanks for the reply (and the tutorial!), didn't catch that in the post about their reasons for removing it. Well, maybe I'll keep it for now, see how I feel about it for a while, and if i get to bugged by it hold onto the files for the hacks and restore normal locking functionality. Hopefully something else comes along that can read and use the hacks, and if nothing else I would just use that photo gallery script until then.

You know, unless they decide to first... :wink: :wink:
frisket
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frisket »

smurphos wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:33 am They are options in the Customise tab.

My problem is I can't get that app on screen. I originally installed MATE, but now I want to use Cinnamon, so I did sudo apt install cinnamon, and rebooted, and logged in using cinnamon. Fine, all is well, but when I click on Menu > Preferences > Screensave, nothing happens at all.

Please...what is the name of the utility in the above image. I mean the actual name of the binary, not the window name, so I can force it to run from the terminal.
Taslimdal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taslimdal »

smurphos wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:18 am Nope it's never had any other native options other than the default with the album art/media controls/optional message.

You can have a background slideshow for the native screensaver / lockscreen with the help of a little bash script viewtopic.php?f=208&t=290333
Where does it get the images from? What Directory on my system are the photos it uses?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Taslimdal wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:46 pm Where does it get the images from? What Directory on my system are the photos it uses?
Any directory of your choice.

Return to “Beginner Questions”