Problem mounting windows partition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whvann08

Problem mounting windows partition

Post by whvann08 »

I have just started having problems mounting windows partitions. I don't know why unless it was from an update because I could mount it not long ago. I am running Mint 6 gnome. What can I look for or do to fix this. I have looked at the permission on the windows partition and it could not be determined. I don't know if it is a permission problem but I am logged in under user not root.

Thanks
Henry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Problem mounting windows partition

Post by Fred »

whvann08,

I don't know if you are referring to auto mounting on boot or manual mounting on demand, but the below reference may help you with auto mounting.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

Fred
whvann08

Post by whvann08 »

Thanks but I feel like the on demand is the type of mounting that I was running. Where I can click on the windows partition in my computer example HP Pavilion. Then it would mount that drive and I could browse the files and so on. But now It will not mount. Which is real important to me because I share a lot of stuff between the two OS. What can I check for the on demand mounting of this partition

Thank
Henry

BTW Good to see someone else from NC.
whvann08

Post by whvann08 »

I just went in and set up my root account to see if it was a permission issue that I was having but with no luck I still could not mount my ntfs partition for windows.

thanks
Henry
whvann08

Re: Problem mounting windows partition (solved)

Post by whvann08 »

problem solved
rlindsey0

Re: Problem mounting windows partition (solved)

Post by rlindsey0 »

whvann08 wrote:problem solved
Perhaps you could explain how you solved it, so that other forum readers in the future could benefit?
whvann08

Post by whvann08 »

I'm sorry it was late last night when I figured this out. The problem was with windows. For some reason in the detail of the error that Mint was giving me it said that the partition was active but I could not figure out why.. What I think happened was that the last time I was running windows the computer was turned off with out shutting down windows. Power outage that we may of had last week. I don't use windows much so I had not booted back up in windows before now. I had to boot up windows then shut it down like it should have been done. Now back in Mint I can mount my ntfs any time. :D

Sorry for the delay on the reply.

Henry

Return to “Beginner Questions”