[SOLVED]How to combine several quotes from different users in one post?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

[SOLVED]How to combine several quotes from different users in one post?

Post by carum carvi »

How to combine several quotes from different users in one post?

I have seen other forummembers manage to do it: combining several quotes from different forum members in one single post. But how is it done?

Do they select the text quotes from several users manually (copy paste) and then put quotes tags around it themselves? Or is there an easier way that I am overlooking?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Faust

Re: How to combine several quotes from different users in one post?

Post by Faust »

carum carvi wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:45 am .....
Do they select the text quotes from several users manually (copy paste) and then put quotes tags around it themselves? Or is there an easier way that I am overlooking?
Good question .
I've often wondered the same thing , but I always end up doing it the hard way , just as you described .
Maybe it's just not available on phpBB ?

On other forums , I have seen and used a "multi-quote " button that can be used when writing a reply ,
but I guess it's all down to the different software platforms that particular forums run on .
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Here's my method:
- First I start my post by clicking on the reply button.
- Then I scroll down to the overview of the thread and select a part of the post of user 1.
- Then I click the quote button next to that message. It's on the right and has quote signs as an icon. Like so: []
- Then I repeat the process for other users in the thread.

The result looks like this:
carum carvi wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:45 am How to combine several quotes from different users in one post?
Faust wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:19 am Good question .

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Thanks Moem, it's those little things that are so appreciated in everyday use. Great tip. :!:

I must confess that even while I have been on this forum for nearly 2 years I only now "discovered" that I can actually reread the thread I am responding to. :oops:

Multiple quotes works like a blast. Couldnt help myself by experimenting below :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen:

carum carvi wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:45 am I have seen other forummembers manage to do it: combining several quotes from different forum members in one single post. But how is it done?

Faust wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:19 am Good question .
On other forums , I have seen and used a "multi-quote " button that can be used when writing a reply ,
but I guess it's all down to the different software platforms that particular forums run on .

Moem wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:54 am Here's my method:
- First I start my post by clicking on the reply button.
- Then I scroll down to the overview of the thread and select a part of the post of user 1.
- Then I click the quote button next to that message. It's on the right and has quote signs as an icon. Like so: []
- Then I repeat the process for other users in the thread.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: [SOLVED]How to combine several quotes from different users in one post?

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have found scrolling does not work if the thread is fairly long.

so, I open the thread in Two Tabs at the same time.

1st tab is used to read the thread, highlight the parts I want, paste to the Reply in the 2nd Tab.
Then I highlight all of that, and click on Quotes.

repeat as often as necessary.
I find this method to be much easier to follow thru the train of thought, with each quote sequential to the ones above it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”