Liquorix Kernel

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mellowchuck123
Level 1
Level 1

Liquorix Kernel

Post by mellowchuck123 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:49 am

Is the Liquorix Kernel safe? What are the pros and cons of using it? Is it fully compatible with Linux Mint? Are there any software or drivers that will not run on the Liquorix Kernel?

Thanks,
Chuck

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Liquorix Kernel

Post by xenopeek » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:15 am

You can use their Ubuntu PPA to install it on Linux Mint as well: https://liquorix.net/#install.

As Liquorix gets you the latest stable Linux kernel release you will face the same issue as others that use such new kernels. You may outpace what Linux kernel releases proprietary drivers (like for graphics cards) support and such.

I don't have experience with it but it should be fine to try if you don't mind solving any issues. Pay close attention that installing the kernel will not remove other packages and that way you should always be able to boot your previous kernel through your boot menu. If you haven't done so yet, this is also a good time to take set up Timeshift system snapshots and to make sure you have a snapshot before you install this kernel. That way you can undo all it does if things go boink.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Trying it myself. Seems to work well. I haven't noticed anything broken so far.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:14 am

A difference I have noticed is that it seems to take quite a bit longer to install things. Which is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:16 am

Don't install unsupported kernels for no good reason. Or do it just for fun, but expect major breakage. Sooner or later. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:09 am

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:16 am
Don't install unsupported kernels for no good reason. Or do it just for fun, but expect major breakage. Sooner or later. :mrgreen:
You defiriitely beat me to thast one. No kernels other ehan the ones that appear by default are supported by Mint. You'd be on your own when it breaks and probably in quite over yoiur head.

A non working machine may actually be a bit too secure :wink: .

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:16 am
So if I have installed it and deleted the default Mint kernel(s) then how do I install a recommended Mint kernel to save my bacon?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Charlie wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:39 pm
So if I have installed it and deleted the default Mint kernel(s) then how do I install a recommended Mint kernel to save my bacon?
You can always install the latest LTS kernel by running:

Code: Select all

apt install linux-generic
To boot from it you may have to choose it manually in your GRUB boot menu depending on your configuration.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:49 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 pm
Charlie wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:39 pm
You can always install the latest LTS kernel by running:

Code: Select all

apt install linux-generic
To boot from it you may have to choose it manually in your GRUB boot menu depending on your configuration.
Thank you. I think I can consider my bacon saved.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:41 pm

So now I am booted into the default generic Mint kernel. I have tried removing the liquorice kernel but cannot, how is that done?

EDIT: Done!

Return to “Newbie Questions”