Use a Windows software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
noeieanimations

Use a Windows software

Post by noeieanimations »

Hello!
I really need help, this is very important.
I have a DVD with a software inside. This is a setup for installing the software. And the setup requires a license key. (i have it)
I need to install it althrough I have linux.
Please help!
(linux mint cinnamon 19.1)

(there are exe, msi, dll...)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Use a Windows software

Post by Joe2Shoe »

To run Windows software in Linux, you need to install Wine-stable in the Software Manager.

https://www.winehq.org/
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi noeieanimations,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It would certainly help if you told us what the software is?

There may also be very good to excellent Linux software alternatives to whatever this MS Windows software is...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

1st off, what kind of "software" are you attempting to install with a DVD that was more than likely designed with windows .exe files in mind?

many people think that as a for instance, that they must be able to install their printer software with a DVD which is NOT going to work on linux.

linux requires another way of installing drivers and software for things like that.

more information will help us guide you better in what your trying to accomplish...DAMIEN
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Some Windows software can be run in Wine, which is a compatibility layer that translates Windows system calls to Linux system calls. Wine is in the Mint software repositories, but you might find it easier to use PlayOnLinux, which allows you to have multiple Wine versions installed so you can use whichever version is best for a particular Windows program. Another possible solution is to run a version of Windows in VirtualBox. There are evaluation/development versions available for free download, or if you have an unused Windows license, you can use that to install Windows in VirtualBox. Another possibility is to dual-boot, so you can boot your computer into either Windows or Linux as needed. Yet another possibility is ReactOS, which is intended to be a Windows clone. Some Windows stuff runs quite well in ReactOS, while others won't run at all. Your Mileage May Vary. And last but certainly not least, there are equivalent Linux programs for just about anything you might want to do. Think in terms of function instead of the name of the product. You don't need Microsoft Office, you need an office suite. You don't need Photoshop, you need an image editing program. You don't need Edge or Internet Explorer, you need a web browser. And so on. What is it you wish to accomplish?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

All of the above replies are all well and good, but, until we know exactly what it is you are trying to achieve, we can only guess. What is the program that you need to install? Once we know that, we have more of a chance of being extremely helpful.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
noeieanimations

phd21 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:35 pm Hi noeieanimations,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It would certainly help if you told us what the software is?

There may also be very good to excellent Linux software alternatives to whatever this MS Windows software is...
System:
Host: Blyat Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.8 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP 255 G5 Notebook PC
v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: <filter>
Mobo: HP model: 82F6 v: 40.41 serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde v: F.24
date: 06/15/2017
Battery:
ID-1: BAT1 charge: 30.2 Wh condition: 30.2/31.1 Wh (97%)
model: Hewlett-Packard PABAS0241231 status: Full
CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: AMD E2-7110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics
bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Puma rev: 1 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
bogomips: 14373
Speed: 1647 MHz min/max: 1000/1800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1765 2: 1783
3: 1774 4: 1736
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Mullins [Radeon R3 Graphics] vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 00:01.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,radeon
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-43-generic LLVM 6.0.0)
v: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: AMD Kabini HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:01.1
Device-2: AMD FCH Azalia vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 00:14.2
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-43-generic
Network:
Device-1: Intel Wireless 3165 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 3100
bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000
bus ID: 03:00.0
IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 494.63 GiB used: 54.03 GiB (10.9%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MQ01ABF050 size: 465.76 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Toshiba model: TransMemory
size: 28.87 GiB
Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: hp model: DVDRW GUD1N rev: MD00
dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
Features: speed: 62 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 91.45 GiB used: 53.97 GiB (59.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 53.4 C mobo: 20.0 C gpu: radeon temp: 52 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 209 Uptime: 1h 33m Memory: 6.77 GiB used: 5.35 GiB (79.1%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19
inxi: 3.0.27
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:b52d Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0000:3821
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0930:6544 Toshiba Corp. TransMemory-Mini / Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 Stick (2GB)
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0a05:7211 Unknown Manufacturer hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

the softwar is Fritz 16 on DVD.
Last edited by noeieanimations on Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
noeieanimations

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:40 pm 1st off, what kind of "software" are you attempting to install with a DVD that was more than likely designed with windows .exe files in mind?

many people think that as a for instance, that they must be able to install their printer software with a DVD which is NOT going to work on linux.

linux requires another way of installing drivers and software for things like that.

more information will help us guide you better in what your trying to accomplish...DAMIEN
The software is Fritz 16, i don't really know what does it contains, but there is a setup.
noeieanimations

jimallyn wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:09 am Some Windows software can be run in Wine, which is a compatibility layer that translates Windows system calls to Linux system calls. Wine is in the Mint software repositories, but you might find it easier to use PlayOnLinux, which allows you to have multiple Wine versions installed so you can use whichever version is best for a particular Windows program. Another possible solution is to run a version of Windows in VirtualBox. There are evaluation/development versions available for free download, or if you have an unused Windows license, you can use that to install Windows in VirtualBox. Another possibility is to dual-boot, so you can boot your computer into either Windows or Linux as needed. Yet another possibility is ReactOS, which is intended to be a Windows clone. Some Windows stuff runs quite well in ReactOS, while others won't run at all. Your Mileage May Vary. And last but certainly not least, there are equivalent Linux programs for just about anything you might want to do. Think in terms of function instead of the name of the product. You don't need Microsoft Office, you need an office suite. You don't need Photoshop, you need an image editing program. You don't need Edge or Internet Explorer, you need a web browser. And so on. What is it you wish to accomplish?
I suppose I'll be obligated to put a third os on my computer... woah
on virtualbox, it doesn't work; Fritz16 crashes and there are runtime errors.
noeieanimations

lsemmens wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:24 am All of the above replies are all well and good, but, until we know exactly what it is you are trying to achieve, we can only guess. What is the program that you need to install? Once we know that, we have more of a chance of being extremely helpful.
Fritz 16
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

if that is the chess program i think it is from international chess federation, i know of no way to install it on linux.

this, to the best of my knowledge, is a windows program only...you will need to have a windows OS to play this particular program.

you can of course contact "fritz", (i believe in germany), to ask if there is a way to install on linux but i believe this is doubtful...DAMIEN
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

FWIW, here's the WineHQ database output for Fritz. Not encouraging. Surely there are plenty of native Linux chess apps, though.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi noeieanimations,

+1 for search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "chess" and you will see many very good options for chess, like "knights", 3D chess, BrutalChess, etc... I recommend right-clicking something in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and seeing if there are recommended and or suggested packages that you may also want to install. There are also the online chess options as well which anyone on any computer can use through their browser. As with any computer operating system when installing new software, read what is on the screen, and in Linux, if it shows a problem like installing this will create broken packages, then do not install that particular software package.

12 of the Best Free Linux Chess Apps (Updated 2018) - LinuxLinks
https://www.linuxlinks.com/chess/

The Best And Worst Free Chess Games For Linux
https://www.lifewire.com/the-best-free- ... ux-4088113

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
noeieanimations

phd21 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:22 pm Hi noeieanimations,

+1 for search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "chess" and you will see many very good options for chess, like "knights", 3D chess, BrutalChess, etc... I recommend right-clicking something in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and seeing if there are recommended and or suggested packages that you may also want to install. There are also the online chess options as well which anyone on any computer can use through their browser. As with any computer operating system when installing new software, read what is on the screen, and in Linux, if it shows a problem like installing this will create broken packages, then do not install that particular software package.

12 of the Best Free Linux Chess Apps (Updated 2018) - LinuxLinks
https://www.linuxlinks.com/chess/

The Best And Worst Free Chess Games For Linux
https://www.lifewire.com/the-best-free- ... ux-4088113

Hope this helps ...
the only problem is that we bought Fritz for 70€ for christmas.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi noeieanimations, im sorry that this has happened to you...you said,
the only problem is that we bought Fritz for 70€ for christmas.
because you can go out and buy software, does not imply it works with what your OS is.

you need to read about it, such as, will it work on a linux OS distribution, etc.?

most everything on linux is absolutely free and requires no financial outlay whatsoever.

please, for future, just ask us here "first" before parting with any of your hard earned currency to buy software for your Linux based OS.

again, sorry this has happened...DAMIEN
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi noeieanimations,
noeieanimations wrote:the only problem is that we bought Fritz for 70€ for christmas.
Can you return it and get your money back? Apparently, this is available on the Steam game playing system for less than you paid for it ($49.99). The Steam gaming system works on Linux and is probably in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). Maybe if you provide proof of purchase to the Steam people they will grant you a license to run it on there assuming it will run on Steam for Linux, obviously, it can run on Steam for MS Windows?

Fritz Chess 16 Steam Edition on Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/7632 ... m_Edition/

*** News *** wrote:* How to Play Almost Any Windows Game on Linux with Steam Play
August 2018 saw the release of Steam Play beta,
a new version of the software that enables Windows games to run on Linux.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-steam-play/
How to Install And Use Steam in Ubuntu Linux - It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/install-steam-ubuntu-linux/

software - Fritztrainer on Linux - Chess Stack Exchange
https://chess.stackexchange.com/questio ... r-on-linux

Well, I would still try the other free Linux chess options. The computer you ran the console terminal commands is not that powerful, but you could try installing Virtualbox with a version of MS Windows in that along with any MS Windows applications and this chess game and run that while still in Linux Mint without dual booting. Of course, you could also "dual-boot" MS Windows and Linux Mint, play that particular chess software on the MS Windows system.

How To Install Windows 10 In Virtualbox On Linux - LinuxAndUbuntu
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how- ... x-on-linux

*** Easy Linux Tips Project: How to install Windows in VirtualBox
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html

Hope this helps ...
Enabling Steam Game system Beta to play MS Windows Games
Steam_gaming_beta1.jpg
Steam_gaming_beta2.jpg
Steam_gaming_beta3.jpg
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi noeieanimations, & Anyone else interested in this,

I already had the Steam Gaming system for Linux installed. I wanted to update it to the newer beta version for playing MS Windows games using the instructions from my last reply and the link in the quote box, Steam updated itself after changing the settings.

I do not have this Fritz chess game and they don't even offer a demo on steam, and I am not willing to pay for it. But, I wanted to test to see if I could now add and run a MS Windows game. I like pinball games, so I searched for free pinball games and selected to install the free "pinball arcade" for MS Windows, which on my ancient underpowered computer took about 45 minutes to download and install all the game requirements including MS Windows requirements, and it works!!! The video image quality is not as good as the Steam Linux specific games (so far), and I have not yet restarted my computer, but I could play the game. It also created menu and desktop shortcuts for the game. Great work Steam and related developers!

Hope this helps ...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi noeieanimations, & Anyone else interested in this,

I already had the Steam Gaming system for Linux installed. I wanted to update it to the newer beta version for playing MS Windows games using the instructions from my last reply and the link in the quote box, Steam updated itself after changing the settings.

I do not have this Fritz chess game and they don't even offer a demo on steam, and I am not willing to pay for it. But, I wanted to test to see if I could now add and run a MS Windows game. I like pinball games, so I searched for free pinball games and selected to install the free "pinball arcade" for MS Windows, which on my ancient underpowered computer took about 45 minutes to download and install all the game requirements including MS Windows requirements, and it works!!! The video image quality is not as good as the Steam Linux specific games (so far), and I have not yet restarted my computer, but I could play the game. It also created menu and desktop shortcuts for the game. Great work Steam Beta, Proton, and related developers!

As you can see from my screenshots the image quality on my ancient computer with lousy video card is not that good. Zaccaria pinball has much better graphics over the pinball arcade, but both played well and were responsive.

Hope this helps ...
click images to view larger images...
Steam_gaming_pinball_arcade1.jpg
Steam_gaming_zaccaria_pinball1_copy.jpg
Mintedfake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintedfake »

It may be helpful to give details of how to set up a free engine such as Stockfish on Linux Mint. The problem is that you also need a display program and, in the case of Stockfish, a translation program. Thus one way is to use the Software Manager to install Stockfish, Xboard and Polyglot. Then you can type in a terminal:

xboard -fUCI -fcp stockfish

However, Fritz 16 claims to teach you how to play chess better, so it may be worth using. I have never tried and simply allow Stockfish to humiliate me by showing how badly I have played whenever I put my games in for analysis.

You can also let it help you with openings. However, Stockfish may not teach you how to win against accurate play. I was working from IM Christof Sielecki's ideas on the Petroff this evening and he say Black is better after the "incorrect gambit" 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Bc4 Nxe4 4. Nc3 Nxc3 5. dxc3 f6 6. Nh4 g6 7. f4 Qe7+ because White cannot castle due to Qc5+. Unfortunately, I let Stockfish play on starting with 8. f5 c6 and whilst Black gains a massive centre, White can get the pawn back on g6 and it all petered out to a draw. At least I learnt that after White has captured on g6, Black can safely answer Qh5 with Kd8.

Added as edit:
I left Stockfish analysing the critical position after 8.f5 for several minutes and it changed from c6 to Qg7! which preserved the pawn advantage. Thus Christof was right and we learn the lesson to either have a powerful computer or to leave your engine running for quite a long time.
Last edited by Mintedfake on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

There is Arena chess GUI. A linux version and a windows version that works with Wine. It comes with several engines, but you can also load Stockfish.

http://www.playwitharena.com/
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)

Return to “Beginner Questions”